What's new

UVI launches Falcon 2

UVI

falcon-2_banner.jpg

UVI launches Falcon 2 with a special promotion, significantly updating their flagship hybrid instrument, free for all existing users.

Falcon 2 now features 16 oscillators, 90+ effects, 11 modulators, dozens of scripts including sequencers, analyzers, harmonizers and utilities, over 1,000 handcrafted presets, 500 wavetables, MPE controller support, microtonal tuning, native multichannel audio up to 10.2 channels and more. The new version is available immediately and is free for all existing users.

Falcon 2 adds the brand new Additive oscillator, an easy-to-use additive oscillator inspired by classic subtractive synthesis with additive twists like partial stretching, frequency shifting, fractional order filtering, even/odd harmonic control, continuous morph from square to saw and more; new effects such as Tape Echo, a recreation of the famous ‘70s hardware tape delay; SKF, a circuit-modeled second-order single op-amp nonlinear Sallen-Key lowpass filter; Formant Crusher, a screaming lo-fi take on formant filtering; updated Redux effect with an entirely redesigned algorithm for analog bit-crushing; a new Parametric LFO modulator, giving parametric control to shape, symmetry, pulse width, and swing; multiple new script-based sequencers including Euclidean Tonal, Euclidean Drum, and the featured 8-part X0X-style Drum Sequencer; 150+ new wavetables and 100+ new factory sounds.

As well, Falcon 2 adds many quality-of-life updates such as the new Modulation Quick Menu, improving usability of complex patches by providing easier navigation of modulators; and User Templates for keygroups, allowing users to create their own keygroup starting-points in addition to the factory Synth and Sample options.

fb_falcon2_deal_en.jpg

To mark the milestone, UVI is offering a special promotion of 30% off with 2 free Falcon Expansions. Users can choose from Analog Motion, Atmospherics, Cinematic Shades, Devinity, Digital Motion, Eternal Funk, Ether Fields, Pulsar, Spectre and SubCulture. Additionally, every purchase of Falcon includes a $100 / 100€ voucher good towards any subsequent purchase. This deal is available immediately at uvi.net, valid through October 27th, 2019.

Falcon represents the pinnacle of hybrid instrument design, allowing unrestricted use and layering of oscillators, effects, modulation generators and event processors for nearly unlimited sound design potential. Falcon offers native 64-bit operation in stand-alone and plug-in formats, supports surround setups up to 10.2 channels, is compatible with all UVI and UVI-Powered soundbanks, and allows simultaneous authorization on up to 3 computers or iLok keys.

Pricing and Availability:

Owners of Falcon can download Falcon 2 and the updated factory library through UVI Portal or ‘My Products’ on uvi.net immediately, free of charge.
Falcon and 2 free Falcon Expansions are also available at the reduced price of $244 / 244€ through October 27th 2019 (regularly $427 / 427€). Discount applied automatically when users add Falcon and 2 Falcon Expansions of their choice to their cart.

Additional information on Falcon is available at:
>> https://www.uvi.net/falcon

Discover Falcon 2 >>

Listen to Falcon >>

I bought this during the sales last year and have yet to use it for more than a player. I was hoping I could take some sounds, like the True Pianos I have, and do some unusual things to them. Time to pull out the manual, I guess. looking forward to seeing what the new version can do.

I was excited to hear about Falcon 2 and even more excited when I read that the update is for users of Falcon 1. Thank you very much, UVI!!!

This is really a good upgrade. I spent significant time with it yesterday and to me everything sounds more "alive" and dynamic. I'm not sure what to make of it, but even Falcon 1 presets seem more vibrant than previously. I seems as if maybe some of the FX received subtle upgrades as well. I very much like what I hear and will be exploring more.

Every year around this time I consider Falcon. Of the new features, I am particularly interested in the MIDI processors. The Euclidean mode is very familiar to iPad musicians because of the popular drum app, PATTERNING. You can see how easily and quickly complex polyrhythms can be created.

But Falcon also has tonal Euclidean tonal sequencers. :dancedance:

Also...

@UVI (or anybody) As this deal comes with the two expansions plus the $100 credit, would I be able to hold onto that credit until later? Any time limit before using it?

For those of you who own expansions, which ones do you think show off the unique sound of FALCON the most? I realize that what you like depends on what kind of music or sounds you want to make.

As a fan of Simon Stockhausen, I'm most interested in ETHER FIELDS. i'm also interested in ATMOSPHERICS, DIGITAL MOTION (love FM) and DEVINITY.

I´m also interested in suggestions
Simon´s expansion is set, but what else?
Eternal Funk is nothing for me, Devinity I´m unsure as Cinematic Shades and SubCulture
so Atmospherics, Spectre, Pulsar and the Analog & Digital Motion are left ;)

I'm a fan of Richard Devine. I have the expansions he did for AAS instruments: Epicycles, Abstractions, Harmonic Geometry, and Microsound Textures. If you're interested in checking him out you can get AAS's free Swatches library that has free examples of all their expansions.

I just found this VI:Control POST on Falcon Expansions. The same deal, $244 + 2 expansions, was offered last October on Falcon 1.

There are also some YouTube videos on some of the expansions that offer more info than what's on the UVI site.

For people trying to get a simple handle on what Falcon is, it's essentially a layering synth, like HALion. Lots of different kinds of synthesis that can be layered to create really complex sounds. They are kind of like super-synths, with many synths in one.

It has nothing to do with Omnisphere (all samples) or any synthesizer that only uses only one or two different kinds of synthesis at a time. The power of Falcon and HALion is in stacking sounds in complex multis, with different kinds of arpeggiators, effects, etc. The new MIDI effects in Falcon 2 should be very inspirational to sound designers.

And the thing that makes Falcon appealing to me is that I have a big investment in UVI and UVI third-party libraries. Owning Falcon would take them to a whole new level.

Falcon has a lot of MPE patches, so I'm wondering if some of my UVI instruments would be able to take advantage of the glide MPE features. You need to set up a very high pitch bend range (ROLI recommends + or - 48 semitones) and you can adjust that with Falcon but not the free Workstation.

Damn, I have resisted Falcon for years, but it looks like I am talking myself into yet another expensive thing I don't need. :shocked:

[]

Damn, I have resisted Falcon for years, but it looks like I am talking myself into yet another expensive thing I don't need. :shocked:

Of course you "need" it - that's the whole point :)

FWIW, I found the Richard Devine expansion 100% uninpired. Of the expansions I have, it's only one that I find useless. It's essentially a bunch FX on top of built-in sounds. Total size is 16 MB. The Falcon Factory presets are vastly superior. [Sorry; I rarely complain loudly, but this one is a stinker, imo]

As this deal comes with the two expansions plus the $100 credit, would I be able to hold onto that credit until later? Any time limit before using it?

For those of you who own expansions, which ones do you think show off the unique sound of FALCON the most? I realize that what you like depends on what kind of music or sounds you want to make.
You have up to 2 months to use the $100 voucher, so I'm holding out until Black Friday to pick up some more expansions*. For the two free ones I chose Ether Fields and Analog Motion, which are both great.

*The voucher condition says 'valid for a single purchase', which I hope means a single order rather than a single product.

After listening to many YouTube demos of Falcon expansions, I made my decision to buy it based on this one for ANALOG MOTION. :) It's one of the only videos that demonstrates how to use the simple interfaces of the expansions to turn layers on and off.

I like ATMOSPHERICS too. Probably my second choice.

FYI, here is a look at the Falcon Factory Presets.

Don Bodin demonstrates Simon Stockhausen's ETHER FIELDS here

Overall I would say I'm not crazy about ALL the video demos of Falcon expansions I've looked at so far, but maybe it's just because I don't work in the genres they come from. But they show how the thing works and I can easily see how I would put my own layered presets together.

Bringing my UVI synths, pianos and World Suite into Falcon... that's pretty exciting.

I picked up Falcon this time during this sale. I ended up getting 5 Falcon expansions( Ether fields, Devinity, Eternal Funk, SubCulture and Atmospherics. Lots of material to explore. I already has previously the UVI string machines and digital sensations sample libraries that I was using under UVIWOrkstation, as well as the Ravenscroft piano. They all open in Falcon now, providing options to add more FX or use those samples as the basis for synthesis. The Digital Sensations pack in particular, which is dirt cheap if not free sometimes, sounds way more interesting in Falcon and provides the possibility to start out with samples from some classic 80's digital synths and then apply various filters and what not to them, Falcon is breathing entirely new life into that expansion. I might find a way to use the string machine expansion that way as well, but we shall see. I don't see myself using Ravenscroft piano very much differently then stock, but maybe eventually I'll create some layered stuff.

Regarding Falcon, I think its a bit dissapointing that the factory library does not include more sample based content. They do give you a $100 voucher, which I used for falcon synth expansions..and most of their sample expansions are actually analog synth stuff, which is kind of a moot point when using Falcon. What would have made this a lot more valuable would be a factory content more akin to what you get with Kontakt.. usable bread and butter sounds like used to be included with MachFive. Pianos, basses, strings, drum kits, etc.. Falcon is an excellent sample engine, but the factory content really does not showcase that capability at all, it focuses on the synth.

The content sounds exceptional. The FX in particular are very high quality. Lots of great filter options, etc. I haven't dived that deep yet, but it sounds like very flexible modulation and able to put filters, envelopes, mods, etc...and many different points..so this thing can create big layered sounds, but also can do a lot of advanced synthesis with many oscillator types..But.. The UI is not the best to work with frankly.. with all that flexibility you have t know what you're doing to design a preset, you can't just dial knobs and make cool sound like you can with most synths out there, You basically need to construct a synth setup.. its more like Reaktor then anything else I've seen out there...but its not reaktor either..but I'm just saying...its kind of an open books. Sounds awesome, works great with UVI expansions...and I am looking forward to exploring synthesis with it.

I was not as blown away as I thought I would be. I also own some other powerful systems like Zebra, Omnispheres and others.. Ultimately, Falcon does not inspire me like some of those others do when I sit down and start playing with it, though the presets provided sound incredible. But I also feel that the utilitarian nature of it will force me to pay more attention to synthesis fundamentals and learn more about how to construct a synth model from scratch..

Regarding Falcon, I think its a bit disappointing that the factory library does not include more sample based content. What would have made this a lot more valuable would be a factory content more akin to what you get with Kontakt.. usable bread and butter sounds like used to be included with MachFive. Pianos, basses, strings, drum kits, etc. Falcon is an excellent sample engine, but the factory content really does not showcase that capability at all, it focuses on the synth.

The content sounds exceptional. The FX in particular are very high quality. Lots of great filter options, etc. I haven't dived that deep yet, but it sounds like very flexible modulation and able to put filters, envelopes, mods, etc...and many different points..so this thing can create big layered sounds, but also can do a lot of advanced synthesis with many oscillator types.

In case you're not aware of this, if you have Mach 5 you can import the content to Falcon.

I don't have it and don't want to pay extra for it. I think Falcon should include more content like that though, Its a little disappointing that it doesn't. The factory content is very much synth focused.

Top Bottom