What's new

UVI Falcon, an Omni killer?

I wrote this mini review on Falcon.

IMO the included presets are meh. It's super powerful but you really have to get along with it as the usability is not great. Not everyone likes its sound though.

Is Omni worth twice the price of Falcon on sale? I don't know. Everyone raves about its presets though.

If you just want a powerful synth for cinematic stuff, Zebra is still an amazing option. Specially considering the wealth of libraries out there.

I’m telling you man, Omni is worth the price and then some!!

No, Falcon is not an Omnisphere killer. I know this is an old thread but still. You can do a lot of programming with Falcon. But I find myself getting things made quicker in Omnisphere. Also one of the things I liked about the two, samples from old synths. When you buy Omnisphere, it comes with it. Falcon, you need to go to UVI and buy the ones you want. Yes, Spectrasonics doesn't do sales unless you get their stuff through a retailers coupon. But I feel the price is worth it. Omnisphere, Trillian and Keyscape sound great. Just wish they would update Stylus, cause right now, there's tons of better options. If you just use presets, more options for Omnisphere. If you have time to program and you just don't want to spend over a certain limit, try Falcon then. Both are great.

I want to know what Simon got banned for?

It was a weird combination of Simon constantly updating his thread with more demos (which he does) some VI-C member developers thought it was a deliberate method Simon was using trying to keep his thread at the top of latest posts not realizing that he’s a passionate developer that loves showing examples of his work and that’s just how he rolls.
Personally I like Simon and his creative endeavors and it saddened me when this went down. I told him about Mike Greene being the new VI-C head honcho and suggested he might want to check out VI-C again but I seem to remember he was reluctant and didn’t want to be in a forum when he was unwelcome & felt other developers were ganging up on him just because he likes to show multiple examples of his sounds in action.
Simon is a really nice guy, a clever talented developer it’s a shame he couldn’t find a way to stay here,I think he’d be an asset for the VI-C community.

It was a weird combination of Simon constantly updating his thread with more demos (which he does) some VI-C member developers thought it was a deliberate method Simon was using trying to keep his thread at the top of latest posts not realizing that he’s a passionate developer that loves showing examples of his work and that’s just how he rolls.
Personally I like Simon and his creative endeavors and it saddened me when this went down. I told him about Mike Greene being the new VI-C head honcho and suggested he might want to check out VI-C again but I seem to remember he was reluctant and didn’t want to be in a forum when he was unwelcome & felt other developers were ganging up on him just because he likes to show multiple examples of his sounds in action.
Simon is a really nice guy, a clever talented developer it’s a shame he couldn’t find a way to stay here,I think he’d be an asset for the VI-C community.
he got a website or youtube channel? Wouldn't mind checking it out.

It's all @doctoremmet's fault really - he told me to do a search before starting a new thread ;)

Ok, so this is where I'm coming from: I've recently tried Zebra2 and really liked the modularity a lot. If only I could have different types of generators like in Pigments (Sampler)! And that's when I came across phase plant and absolutely loved it! Making instruments in phase plant is just pure joy! The right amount of modularity + a good set of building blocks + sensible UI decisions = joy.

Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it looks like Falcon 2 could be an even more awesome version of phase plant with much more in-depth sampling features and a bigger set of tools to play with? (Is that basically what you said @doctoremmet?)
With Omnisphere I can't quite tell. It has a lot of features, sure, but they seem to be strewn across 20 different pages of UI, which looks quite cumbersome to use?

it looks like Falcon 2 could be an even more awesome version of phase plant with much more in-depth sampling features and a bigger set of tools to play with? (Is that basically what you said @doctoremmet?)
I THINK the trade-off is minimal but summed up it boils down to: even more and deeper sampling options (Falcon) versus a better UI and a more user centered UI (Phaseplant). But both are ridiculously powerful.

Speaking of Venus Theory. Didn’t Cameron make a video about his most expensive plugins the other day? I think both of them are mentioned, so maybe get his perspective on things as well…

Disclaimer: I don’t own Omnisphere and am not interested in Omnisphere. As much as I understand how and why it is so revered by composers and regardless of my respect for Eric Persing.

I do want to make an observation though: I hardly ever see true “synth heads” making videos about how to create patch X with it, or how to use cool FM effects on oscillators Y and Z, etc. I am sure such videos exist, but to me the notion of making a patch in Omnisphere somehow is as much fun as clicking on the wrench of Kontakt. Lol! Again, this is all based on zero actual experience…

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I don’t own Omnisphere and am not interested in Omnisphere. As much as I understand how and why it is so revered by composers and regardless of my respect for Eric Persing.

I do want to make an observation though: I hardly ever see true “synth heads” making videos about how to create patch X with it, or how to use cool FM effects on oscillators Y and Z, etc. I am sure such videos exist, but to me the notion of making a patch in Omnisphere somehow is as much fun as clicking on the wrench of Kontakt. Lol! Again, this is all based on zero actual experience…
Plugin Guru has some Omnisphere videos.

Alright. I got Phase Plant and Falcon 2 and both are awesome, but oh boy would Falcon need some UX love... Phase Plant is clear and easy to use, but Falcon is a bit of a mess with no clear visual distinction between areas and things hiding and showing all over the place. And why is there no easy way to link everything to everything else?! Do I really need to pick my modulations from a list on a context menu? - But other than that I like it a lot so far! I think me and Phase Plant and Falcon 2, we're going to have a lot of fun... Now what am I going to do with that $100 voucher...

@doctoremmet In all seriousness, to weigh in to this discussion - I've been doing preset deconstruction videos on my YT channel for a little over a year now, so you'll find about 10 or 15 for Omnisphere. Response to them was good, but viewer numbers are really low compared to some of my other Omnisphere videos. For that reason, I'm gonna draw a line under it at the end of this year.

Going in to next year, I'm looking to revamp them - including having my real life, actual face in the videos (😂) and possibly even doing some live stream preset creation stuff, if there's any interest. So, watch this space!

In terms of whether Falcon could destroy Omnisphere - the sound design possibilities of Falcon are INSANE, but it doesn't have the "approachability" that Omnisphere has. I'm looking at doing a soundbank for Falcon next year if there's any interest for it!

In terms of whether Falcon could destroy Omnisphere - the sound design possibilities of Falcon are INSANE, but it doesn't have the "approachability" that Omnisphere has. I'm looking at doing a soundbank for Falcon next year if there's any interest for it!
Thanks! The whole premise of this thread is a bit silly and to be clear I only tried to convey my sentiment that “synth wars” are not really useful at all haha. But hey… I’m a hoarder so that makes life a tad easier in the sense that one doesn’t make choices and rather just grabs any synth one fancies. Also, like I said before, I have admired and respected Eric Persing from 1987 onwards (when I first came across the genius’ name in Keyboard Magazine) and have worked with Omnisphere in the past. I totally get why people revere it.

Now as for your revamping aspirations: bring it on! It may be obvious but I DO watch your videos haha! And you Sir are another one of my synth programming heroes! ❤️

Top Bottom