What's new

UVI Falcon, an Omni killer?

mike753

Just had a look at various UVI Falcon videos on YouTube, and it appears that these new synth and sample possibilities are more or less endless. Even much more and detailed than what Omni is offering as of yet (and who will be able or will have the time to learn all that what Falcon appears to offer)

Also, an announcement of Virharmonic (Prague voices) comes to mind, saying that they will offer all their libraries (and updates) in this new format.

As this is a new engine, I assume that only a few people will know more about Falcon, but anyway, what's your opinion, if you are already familiar with it in the one or other way.

Cheers, Mike

Zhao Shen

StormSound
Falcon looks like a fantastic product indeed! I wouldn't jump straight to "Omni killer" though. There are many engines with capabilities that surpass Omnisphere's, but none match its sheer comprehensiveness and versatility. And even if Omnisphere did someday get one-upped in every way imaginable, it wouldn't get "killed." A gradual phase-out over the years is more likely, and Spectrasonics will have had ample time to step up their game if/when that happens.

Plus... Who are we kidding, synths (yes Omni is a sampler, let's chill on the technicalities for a bit) aren't competitors... WE MUST HAVE THEM ALL

bryla

Orchestrator
Hey there. Bought falcon for it's greater sample mangling possibilities than Omnispere has. To me it's sort of cross breed between Omni, Zebra, Absynth, Kontakt and the like. Synth-wise it's great both regarding the sound and modulation. Not that many different filter types though.

Mystic

I honestly don't think it sounds very good. I've heard nothing that has impressed me so far where Omni has a very polished sound and interface.

neblix

Music, Math, Cats
Falcon looks like it's more intended for manual sound shaping and programming (and being very good at it). Part of Omnisphere's draw is the extensive sound design that has already been done by the folks at Spectrasonics.

synthpunk

and let the shilling begin for a tool that has no library per se being called a Omni killer.

Last edited:

woodsdenis

and let the shilling begin for a tool that has no library per se.
It does have a factory library and can import all UVI/Mach5 sample libraries. They made a decision about bundled content and didn't include GBs of it, subsequently it costs less than K5/M5 etc.. Omni killer? no. If you want 8000 presets buy Omni. As tool for sound design and manipulation its fantastic, its not a Rompler.

dpasdernick

Falcon's price is close to the Omni 2.0 upgrade and I have yet to upgrade to Omni 2.0. I own a ton of UVI stuff and really like it a lot so Falcon may be my next software synth. I'm also buying more hardware these days. I just bought a Triton Rack. You can't believe the musicality they squeezed out of 32 megs of ram. IMHO Omni 2.0 was too little too late. Has the 2.0 version been a game changer for anyone here?

marcotronic

Not an Omni killer for me, for one reason: iLok.

You do know that you don't actually need an iLok Dongle to run Falcon? You can simply register it via software to your machine - no need for any additional hardware/dongles.

I, too, bought Falcon and I love it. I have Omnisphere 2.0, too. I guess one big advantage that Omnisphere has over Falcon is the huuuge arsenal of standard sounds and soundbanks shipping with Omnisphere. Falcon's standard soundbanks are a bit underwhelming (in number not in quality! - The sonic quality is outstanding - for my ears)

WindcryMusic

You do know that you don't actually need an iLok Dongle to run Falcon? You can simply register it via software to your machine - no need for any additional hardware/dongles.

It's not the dongle that bothers me ... it is the associated PACE drivers that would be on my system. In my experience PACE drivers are not a friend to system stability and performance, and I won't have their software on my computers.

Geoff Grace

While the potential of Falcon's sound design rivals Omnisphere's, the only part of Falcon's sound design that has already been realized is its ability to import sample libraries—which cost extra—and at this point makes it more of a competitor to Kontakt.

If your main desire is to sound design from scratch, then Falcon is already a worthy competitor to any other platform. But as far as synth/sample hybrid libraries are concerned, it'll take years of sound design to rival just the set that ships with Omnisphere 2, let alone all of Omnisphere's third-party offerings.

Best,

Geoff

schatzus

Looks amazing! I'll be picking this one up. I for one enjoy creating my own sounds. You could probably tweak away at that interface... forever...o_O

Guy Rowland

I honestly don't think it sounds very good. I've heard nothing that has impressed me so far where Omni has a very polished sound and interface.

Must admit that was my thought too. Great looking UI, amazing features... really very very dull sound in the 10 minute promo video.

As for Omni killer... um, no.

germancomponist

The video was produced quite boring.(snore...) Could it be because of this reason? I am sure this thing would be much more accepted if Guy or Daniel did it? :)

Polarity

Not really amazed by its sound me too... yes, it's good, but for now from the demos Falcon doesn't make me jump off my seat as instantly Diva, Zebra or Omnisphere 2 did instead.
What I found very interesting though is the pluck sound engine...
Wavetable sound didn't impressed me at all... there are much better (and older) synths at doing that.
I'll keep my money... I believe I won't bet on it in future too.

@Zhao Shen:
Anyway Omnisphere is a real VA synth! It had already a few basic waveforms (and good ones indeed),
but now have you seen how many (and very good ones) were added with Omnisphere 2?!
And looking into other sections... it's much more than a "rompler"... ;)

givemenoughrope

I'm curious how much overlap there is with Serum in regards to wavetable synthesis and Halion 5 with being a multitimbral granular synth. Of course, granular always sounds/reacts differently in each sampler with similar settings. I doubt I'll get rid of Halion even though I'm still just getting into it...although maybe...

Top Bottom