1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Hubs what work dongles?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by JPQ, Jan 13, 2018.

1. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    USB hubs what with dongles? I found many pc motherbroads dont have many usb ports and setup needs two dongles, mouse, keyboard, Blofeld, audio interface,printer,external hd,external dvd drive.

2. Gerhard Westphalen

Gerhard Westphalen Scoring Mixer

Normally I'd recommend ones that are powered but if you're only connecting a couple of dongles then a cheap unpowered one should work.

3. OP
    OP
    JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Oddly my current powered does not.

4. YaniDee

YaniDee Senior Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Montreal
    I have a Cubase dongle and a Usb key with waves licenses on a (powered) hub. It works fine for me. I use it to quickly switch licenses between two computers. As well I have a usb 4port midi interface on it and that works also.

5. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I use a 10 year old ancient powered usb1 hub for my dongles. Check your junk box or thrift stores.

For peripherals I have 2 of those powered USB3 (w/ blue led's)) Ankar ?? from Amazon

6. OP
    OP
    JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    What hub you use. my transcend dont work (USB 3.0 powered hub) i think. saddly i need two hubs connected each other becouse i have so many external hard drives in mac mini. one reason why i dislike mac mini is this. easily you need at least two external ones.(backup and samplelibrary one for music only but becouse i use this computer even for photographs etc then is even harder).

7. garyhiebner

garyhiebner Senior Member

Jan 3, 2015
    I find my eLicensor dongle doesn't work in an unpowered USB hub. Not too sure if others have had this issue, but just letting you know,

8. gamma-ut

gamma-ut Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    It's a bit trial and error to be honest. I've got one self-powered hub that isn't reliable with dongles and one that is. Both happen to be made by Belkin.

Unpowered hubs almost never work reliably. The cryptoprocessors inside the dongles are designed to watch for things like power glitches as they can be signs of a hack attempt (degrading power makes circuitry do funny things, so they power-off to avoid that happening). The power sags you can get when firing up USB peripherals from just bus power probably look like those kinds of attacks.

The tricky bit is finding a powered hub that doesn't suffer from power sags and it's not consistent from one manufacturer's product to another.

Should you see one in on Ebay or in a charity shop and only need USB2 for other peripherals, the Belkin 7-port F5U307 does work IME. It has two slots in the top that work quite nicely for dongles as you are less likely to knock them when unplugging/plugging other ports in the five on the back.

9. OP
    OP
    JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I found same i think my current dongle is same its VSL one but soon i maybe go back pc side when i need Cubase dongle. Studio One has somethings what makes me angry midi autiomatiuon is only 0-100 when data is actually 0-127. some things need exact values etc.

10. YaniDee

YaniDee Senior Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Montreal
    A pretty cheap one.."Insignia"..I think it's USB2.