What's new

"Urgent" (to me): Paypal refunds / disputes HELP (educate me please)

Diablo IV

Hey guys I am selling some stuff and a guy contacted me and said
he wants my stuff and wants to pay with paypal.

So far so good, he says he wants my address he will send a shipping co? to get
my stuff, that I shouldn't worry.

So, if he pays with paypal, and I transfer the money immediately to my bank account,
is there a way he can still con me? commit fraud?

I don't wanna lose my stuff, and I NEED the money.

Help very much appreciated.

From the moment the money is on your bank account it is 100% save. I would make detailed fotos from all the gear and write down all the names ect.

It's not totally uncommon to have someone arrange the shipment for a deal (I did this too a few times in the past), but it's not the 'normal way', so to speak.
But you need to insist on a shipment with tracking and that it needs to be signed for before it is handed over to the buyer. Then you have proof of delivery and he can't blame you for fraude. Bonus to this is that it is insured too to a certain amount, which can be upgraded in case that's needed, so when lost in transit he gets his money back from the courier and can't come after you.

Thanks so much mates. I am selling 4 Meinl Cymbals (Byzance) so I guess you can see why I am worried. Sent the info now to the buyer, very explicitly mentioning stuff.

Bow to you, I feel less stressed now :P

You're welcome. Those cymbals are of high value, so I understand your concern. If the buyer won't agree with your requests, just don't sell. You need to be 100% sure about it.

From the moment the money is on your bank account it is 100% save. I would make detailed fotos from all the gear and write down all the names ect.

Not true: if the buyer says he didn't receive anything, or the item was damaged when it arrived at his place f.e., can open a dispute by PayPal and then they will force you to pay the money back. PayPal is very much at the hands of the buyer, which is basically a good thing, I think, but can cause strange and unpleasant situations.
Therefore it is really necessary to have it shipped with tracking and signed for, so you have proof in case the buyer starts a dispute.

Pictures and notes is a good thing, though!

You can request a signer, they can waive that on their end through the shipping companies website, or pick it up at the facility. They can also change the ship date if they won't be around that day for a later date. That is what I have done for music equipment I have sold in the past. That way if they do dispute you have the evidence on your side. I am always cautious as well!

If the money is in my bank's account, can't I just delete my paypal account, or at least remove my bank's info so they can't force me to do anything? Since I really need the money I am following through. Urgh...

I am so glad I came to you guys, wow, at least my gut told me I came to the right place :P

If the money is on your bank account, paypal can not take it without your permission.

If the buyer opens a case, paypal will ask you for your story, pictures and documents, so it‘s important you document everything.

I once bought a secondhand cello on ebay and payed with paypal. After arrival I noticed the back of the cello was loose so I wrote the seller but she stated there is no way the cello has been like this before shipping. I was lucky the defect could be seen on one of her pictures (when you know where to look). She still said it‘s not true despite of the picture. After 10 days Paypal sent me the requested money back. I think they didn‘t process the case further because it was only about 200.-. There are some cheaty people out there so you realy should document everything. Even paypal notifications have been faked so be sure you check if the money is on your account.

(if I don't make much sense or go in a straight line, sorry :P)

Thanks so much guys. It was a scam. He wanted me to pay the shipping with my own money (Moneygram), and the info came withing an email that read [email protected] (sender) but then next to it, it read also [email protected] (Auto generated card visible only to you )

It's as if his name was [email protected], so the receiver could confuse that it was indeed sent by paypal.com

3 emails were sent to me almost at the same time, and weird enough they all went directly to my
paypal folder (I have this filter, you know)...

Emails even have images reading "You are safe" and stuff like that...

He overpaid (that's an overstatement, I logged in my Paypal account, not even a pending transaction),
because of the shipping costs.

Emails even read Transaction ID (18 numbers vs official 17 ones?)
(transaction ID-99K34298754387UK49 )
(Just noticed as I am writing all this down, that in the body of this email, it reads:
Transaction ID T-1A0403093M864753H, so they don't even match up...

But after I was checking that out, it occurred to me to just hit reply to one of those, and low and behold,
the email address to reply to was "[email protected]"

We were even on Whatsapp for a while... getting to the point of me having to put money out of my pocket (for shipping) made me check my paypal account too, to see nothing was happening there...
(it was happening all too fast at some point, like all within 30 min).

After all this hustle, it was just wasted time...

Almost caught. For me, expensive goods strictly as 'cash on collection'. I'm willing to do some discount too to cover buyer's travel expenses or may be meet half way. Less but genuine people will be interested in it and you might have to wait longer to sell. In your case, if buyer is willing to pay around £1000 for 4 cymbals, he will be willing to travel as well. If not, ask him to arrange his own courier with pick up and delivery plus signed for and tracked. But still cash on collection is the best.

Last edited:
Glad you found out in time. I am into the third week of what will ultimate be a six week nightmare regarding a scammer on "the bay". I rarely use that site anymore, so the fact that I tend to get one psycho and/or scammer per year is quite shocking, and when it happens, it's a huge time drain and source of stress. I was especially concerned about the multiple back-charges as it could have affected my pending home purchase.

Top Bottom