What's new

Upgrading vs. Switching to Reaper

Thanks!

One question, just to understand how Reaper works internally.
Do you know what´s the MIDI info data flow from the external hw to finish into the "MIDI ítem" and "Envelope's data"..

External HW-->FX#1-->FX#2-->FX#3..->VSTi-->"Track ítem"
-->"Envelope's data"

¿?

Hm, beats me.

At this point you might just wanna draw the envelopes manually? Because using a MIDI controller on a plugin that itself sends out MIDI (ReaControlMIDI in this case) is not happening without problems, apparently. You'd likely need a different sort of controller, like Faderport, which can use Mackie controller, and which would be used as MIDI input for control messages in Reaper (these don't get recorded to tracks, they are just for MIDI learning plugin and track controls, and automating them)...

Personally I don't bother with ReaControlMIDI, I just use the MIDI editor's CC lanes. With some mouse modifier tweaking and a few scripts it's really good to use.

Hm, beats me.

At this point you might just wanna draw the envelopes manually? Because using a MIDI controller on a plugin that itself sends out MIDI (ReaControlMIDI in this case) is not happening without problems, apparently. You'd likely need a different sort of controller, like Faderport, which can use Mackie controller, and which would be used as MIDI input for control messages in Reaper (these don't get recorded to tracks, they are just for MIDI learning plugin and track controls, and automating them)...

Personally I don't bother with ReaControlMIDI, I just use the MIDI editor's CC lanes. With some mouse modifier tweaking and a few scripts it's really good to use.
:(

What kind of midi control message would avoid this issue?
An iPad with touchosc or something like that would solve it? In this situation will still be reacontrolmidi needed?

If you want envelopes instead of bars, you gotta use ReaControlMIDI. There's no other way.

TouchOSC might be a solution, since you can add an OSC control surface to Reaper, and it is handled differently then. Should work!

Hm, beats me.

I'm trying to digging into your alternative..
What kind of mouse/tweaks makes you feel more confortable with it?
Also, do you know how to reduce/smooth the number of CC recorded items to have something more "continuos"?

Thank you!

I just draw CCs without snapping to grid, just freehand draw them (holding Ctrl). Then if something needs a fix, I just draw over them.

Check out my mouse modifiers for MIDI editor contexts that I posted here.

Also these scripts are very useful sometimes.

That has nothing to do with expression maps. MIDI editor in Reaper doesn't support envelope-like editing, this is why ReaControlMIDI is there. I doubt this is ever going to change.

Here's the thing: when you use ReaControlMIDI, you should NOT MIDI learn ReaControlMIDI's CC sliders to the same CCs they are supposed to send out. You will get duplicate information (both recorded in RCM's envelope and within MIDI editor). The solution could be using DIFFERENT CC numbers for MIDI learning, then filtering them out after ReaControlMIDI using a JS FX MIDI filter loaded after RCM. Or just using host automation on RCM's CC sliders instead.

This does not happen here. I have my Command 8 set sending CC1 to CC11 at channel 1, and after learning the fader inside ReaControlMIDI, i do not get any duplicates from the midi region. In fact, the data only gets recorded into the envelope, and plays back as it supposed to.

Attachments

• reaControlMIDI.png
    reaControlMIDI.png
    152.9 KB · Views: 13
Yeah that won't happen if you have your MIDI device set in Preferences to "enabled input for control signals" but have "enable input from this device" checkbox disabled. Then its MIDI data doesn't get written to MIDI items - can just use them freely for MIDI learn on actions and plugin parameters.

Ok, i know what my "trick" is. I use only my keyboard's midi input on the track, that way there is no way for control data to record there. I use two midi interfaces, one for notes, one for cc messages. But your solution would work the same. So maybe Esencia, try again. It works great with faders and ReaMIDIControl. also, take a look at excellent Tack's solution :

So maybe Esencia, try again. It works great with faders and ReaMIDIControl. also, take a look at excellent Tack's solution :

I don't know if I got it...
As I own only one midi keyboard controller that holds faders and wheels on it.. if in
MIDI device Preferences I set "enabled input for control signals"
then... I cannot record any note .. :S

how could I cheat it?

Last edited:
Yeah, the terrible hack in that video isn't about getting CC performance data into Reaper, but getting those CCs back out to a motorized control surface (or anything with feedback such as the MIDI Fighter Twister or Komplete Kontrol encoders, etc.) after the fact.

(FWIW I'm integrating that into Reaticulate using a slightly different approach that won't require the crazy Bome translation rigmarole if you want to get CCs out on bus 0.)

Interesting...
may I ask you why?
are you using it for audio only or for midi productions?
Using it for everything. I love how custimizable it is. It just seems intuitive to me --but maybe because it's what I started with?
Apparently the notation aspect of it has gotten pretty powerful, but I haven't really utilized that yet. For me, the price tag is also one of the biggest arguments for it --60USD if you make under 20k from your music....which is most people in music, unfortunately.

Top Bottom