What's new

Upgrading from Kontakt 5

Hi Hans,

The only thing I can think of is, your template or project will start to look for Kontakt 5.dll and kontakt 6 or later just uses kontakt.dll. So if you delete K5, it will give you errors that it can't load kontakt due to missing files. If you didn't delete K5, projects will simply load up K5. Personally I haven't seen any issues with loading instruments etc. But I don't have a massive list of kontakt instruments unlike some folks here. Maybe someone can share their experience as well. I personally still have both installed to make sure older projects also load up fine.

Is there a way to get a whole project file to load with K6 instead of K5 without having to manually load all the patches again?

Depends on the DAW. In Reaper, project files are human-readable text, so you can go in with a text editor and replace all instances of "Kontakt 5.dll" with "Kontakt.dll" and it will work. Not all DAWs have the same luxury, tho.

On Mac with AU, there is plugin inheritance enabled, so regardless of which Kontakt version you used before, if you don't have them installed anymore, your project will load with latest version of Kontakt you have on your computer.

Top Bottom