What's new

Upgrade to SSD ThunderBolt Dock or Pursue a PC/Mac Slave?

NathanTiemeyer

Hey guys, I'm currently looking for options to give my 2014 Macbook Pro ( 2.5 I7, 16GB RAM) more breathing room when it comes to CPU / overall performance.

I currently stream my samples off 2 external SSD drives that run of a USB 3.0 dock.

Would upgrading to a thunderbolt dock make a significant difference in overall performance? Or am I better off just biting the bullet and putting that money towards a PC/MAC slave?

Thanks in advance! Any other hardware related performance increase tips are gladly welcomed! :)

with 2 external drives the USB interface won't be much of a bottleneck.
A slave computer won't help much either - your CPU still has to process everything regardless where it comes from.

Like BassClef said, best option is to get more RAM if you can - that will give you more fluent performance instantly.

I think your external SSDs are not a problem... seems like you would be better off spending resources on more ram in your Macbook Pro.
with 2 external drives the USB interface won't be much of a bottleneck.
A slave computer won't help much either - your CPU still has to process everything regardless where it comes from.

Like BassClef said, best option is to get more RAM if you can - that will give you more fluent performance instantly.
Thanks for the input guys!
Unfortunately, I don't think my Ram is expandable internally for my MBP model. :thumbsdown: Otherwise I would've done that already lol. So I might have to go a different route for increasing performance. Any other possible recommendations?

Top Bottom