What's new

CodeUltra Custom Logic Pro X Midi Transforms Kit: Set MIDI length by key shortcut! (+ 30 More)

S.M Hassani

CodeUltra Sounds

After reading this discussion:

https://vi-control.net/community/th...atures-new-to-a-logic-x-composer.73793/page-2

I decided to render a little service to the VIC/LPX community. :cool:

Here's a Logic Pro 10.3.3 Project with my own Midi Transform settings (Attached) (New V2 ones from blue line down)

SMH LPX Midi Transforms V2.png

You can use the Import Settings function to load them into your other projects. You can also make this file a template and go from there. I left some midi notes in there for you to test the functionality.

Make sure you assign them to your choice of key commands so you can apply them instantly within your workflow. I've indicated my shortcuts below.

Do see the included videos.

SMH LPX Midi Transforms.gif

And The Transforms are: (NEW V2 Transforms in Blue)

Expand Notes: This command will space selected notes away from each other evenly, while maintaining their length (Unlike the default trim functions) It's an excellent tool if you happen to scale a linear group of notes so much they overlap. (e.g using the Alt+Shift+Mouse drag edge or Arrow keys)

Collapse Notes: The opposite of the above command.

I use these key commands: Alt+Command+. (or the > key) to expand | Alt+Command+, (or the < key) to collapse

Length = 1/xx: Yes this will finally give you the ability to set note length by rapid key command!
Available in these sizes: 1/1 - 1/2 - 1/4 - 1/8 - 1/16 - 1/32

I use these key commands: Alt+Command+1 = 1/1 | +2=1/2 | +4=1/4 | +5=1/8 | +6=1/16 | +7=1/32

Duplicate 3rd Up: Duplicates your notes a Major 3rd Up or 4 semitones in one keystroke!
Duplicate 5th Up: Duplicates them a Major 5th Up or 7 semitones
Duplicate Octave Up: Duplicates them an octave Up or 12 semitones

I use these key commands: Alt+Command+F12 and F13,F14 respectively (Still using the good ol' extended keyboard)

Some Theory:

Use these shortcuts to form the following chords:

Maj 7th: Add a 5th over the 3rd (using Alt+Command+F13)
Dominant 7: Drop the result from above 1 semitone
9th: Add a 5th over your 5th
Augmented Chords: add a 3rd over your 3rd (No 5th)

(The above assumes you have a full triad)

Double Note Length: Doubles all selected notes in length (My Shortcut: Alt+Cmd+2)

Half Note Length: Reduces all selected notes to half length (My Shortcut: Ctl+Alt+2)

Add Half Note Length: Adds %50 of current length to all selected notes. (i.e notes grow to %150 current length) (My Shortcut: Alt+Cmd+3)

SMH LPX Midi Transforms Add:Rem 3rd.gif

Remove 1/3 Length: Opposite of above, but not 100% accurate (reduces to 0.6666 of current). Use the provided Set Length commands to quantize length if needed. (My Shortcut: Ctl+Alt+3)

Duplicate +1 Beat: Duplicates 1/4 notes and shifts the resulting copies to the next beat. (My Shortcut: Alt+F13)

SMH LPX MIDI Transforms Dup 1 Beat.gif

Duplicate In Place: Duplicates an event over itself. Useful for quickly adding notes to chord stacks without using the mouse. (My Shortcut: Alt+F14)

VFilp CC Data: Takes a selection of CC data and flips if vertically in one keystroke. Useful to repurpose played in automation.

Aside from this I also use these key commands:

To set my Grid Division units: Shift+1 = Lower | +2 = Higher | +4 =1/4 | +5=1/8 | +6=1/16 | +7=1/32 | +8=1/64
To set my Grid Snap to Smart: CMD+ALT+` (or ~ Key)
To set my Grid Snap to Division: CMD+ALT+SHIFT+` (or ~ Key)
To toggle between Relative and Absolute Snap modes: CMD+ALT+/ (or ? Key)

Hoping this helps make the Logic Pro X experience better for everyone.

Enjoy!

IMPORTANT: Use this file at your own risk. Do not test it on important/sensitive project files unless you are 100% sure it works for you. I will not be held liable or accountable for any loss or damages of any kind to any party.

Last edited:
Expand Notes: This command will space selected notes away from each other evenly, while maintaining their length (Unlike the default trim functions) It's an excellent tool if you happen to scale a linear group of notes so much they overlap. (e.g using the Alt+Shift+Mouse drag edge or Arrow keys)

Collapse Notes: The opposite of the above command.

I like these two the most, thanks so much for these!

Hey @Matt Riley

I'm glad you like the presets and thank you for those kind words. Looking into some new ones which I hope to have soon. Chord inversions would be nice but I'll have to dig deeper, as they are not easily done with Transforms.

Last edited:
For now you can use the Alt+Shift+Up/Down Arrow to transpose individual notes a whole octave.

Tip: "Flipping" the 3rd gives you that nice open voicing, often used by the masters on strings and brass.

If you're ever annoyed with Logic's Playback Functions, this will allow you to control them better:

1- Set your MIDI chase function like this to hear your midi chords even if you play them from the middle of the event:

MIDI Chase 1.png

MIDI Chase 2 Highlighted.png
Check the top most "Notes" and "Sustained" buttons as shown. You can also access this panel with the Command+, or (lowercase <) shortcut.

2- Set your playback settings like this to have full control over the playback position. (By default it jumps depending on your selections)

Playhead.png
Click and hold the Play button to access this dropdown.

Now:

- Pressing the space bar will start playback from exactly where the playhead is. (unless you are in cycle mode, or have a marquee selection)
- Shift+Spacebar will play from the start of your current selection
- Press the 0 key on the keypad to move playhead to the start of your project.
- Press the Shift+Enter key on the keypad to play from the right edge of your piano roll window.
- Use the , and . keys (i.e lowercase < and >) to move play head 1 Bar.
- Adding shift moves the playhead 8 bars.
- I have the § key as my custom shortcut for "Set Rounded Locators and Cycle Play" Which will set a cycle around my selection and start looping it in one keystroke.

Hoping this makes LPX even better for our friends here.

Enjoy

-S.M

Last edited:
Have run into a problem. I have over 30 MIDI Transform presets saved in my template now. I know that you can only assign up to 30 of these as key commands. How do you guys deal with this? Having to go through the MIDI Transform menu is a major momentum killer. Would love to hear your thoughts...

I have them assigned to keystrokes, which I trigger via TouchOSC/OSCulator on my iPad. The last update also allows you to assign Select and Process, which really opens things up a little. Not as slick as Cubase's quantization features, but you can do a lot with what we currently have.

Top Bottom