1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updated -> My Custom Logic Pro X Midi Transforms: Set MIDI length by key shortcut! (+ Much More)

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by S.M Hassani, Aug 5, 2018.

1. S.M Hassani

S.M Hassani Senior Member

Dec 30, 2014
    After reading this discussion:

https://vi-control.net/community/th...atures-new-to-a-logic-x-composer.73793/page-2

I decided to render a little service to the VIC/LPX community. :cool:

Here's a Logic Pro 10.3.3 Project with my own Midi Transform settings (Attached) (New V2 ones from blue line down)

SMH LPX Midi Transforms V2.png

You can use the Import Settings function to load them into your other projects. You can also make this file a template and go from there. I left some midi notes in there for you to test the functionality.

Make sure you assign them to your choice of key commands so you can apply them instantly within your workflow. I've indicated my shortcuts below.

Do see the included videos.

SMH LPX Midi Transforms.gif

And The Transforms are: (NEW V2 Transforms in Blue)

Expand Notes: This command will space selected notes away from each other evenly, while maintaining their length (Unlike the default trim functions) It's an excellent tool if you happen to scale a linear group of notes so much they overlap. (e.g using the Alt+Shift+Mouse drag edge or Arrow keys)

Collapse Notes: The opposite of the above command.

I use these key commands: Alt+Command+. (or the > key) to expand | Alt+Command+, (or the < key) to collapse

Length = 1/xx: Yes this will finally give you the ability to set note length by rapid key command!
    Available in these sizes: 1/1 - 1/2 - 1/4 - 1/8 - 1/16 - 1/32

I use these key commands: Alt+Command+1 = 1/1 | +2=1/2 | +4=1/4 | +5=1/8 | +6=1/16 | +7=1/32

Duplicate 3rd Up: Duplicates your notes a Major 3rd Up or 4 semitones in one keystroke!
    Duplicate 5th Up: Duplicates them a Major 5th Up or 7 semitones
    Duplicate Octave Up: Duplicates them an octave Up or 12 semitones

I use these key commands: Alt+Command+F12 and F13,F14 respectively (Still using the good ol' extended keyboard)

Some Theory:

Use these shortcuts to form the following chords:

Maj 7th: Add a 5th over the 3rd (using Alt+Command+F13)
    Dominant 7: Drop the result from above 1 semitone
    9th: Add a 5th over your 5th
    Augmented Chords: add a 3rd over your 3rd (No 5th)

(The above assumes you have a full triad)

Double Note Length: Doubles all selected notes in length (My Shortcut: Alt+Cmd+2)

Half Note Length:
    Reduces all selected notes to half length (My Shortcut: Ctl+Alt+2)

Add Half Note Length: Adds %50 of current length to all selected notes. (i.e notes grow to %150 current length) (My Shortcut: Alt+Cmd+3)

SMH LPX Midi Transforms Add:Rem 3rd.gif

Remove 1/3 Length: Opposite of above, but not 100% accurate (reduces to 0.6666 of current). Use the provided Set Length commands to quantize length if needed. (My Shortcut: Ctl+Alt+3)

Duplicate +1 Beat: Duplicates 1/4 notes and shifts the resulting copies to the next beat. (My Shortcut: Alt+F13)

SMH LPX MIDI Transforms Dup 1 Beat.gif

Duplicate In Place: Duplicates an event over itself. Useful for quickly adding notes to chord stacks without using the mouse. (My Shortcut: Alt+F14)

VFilp CC Data: Takes a selection of CC data and flips if vertically in one keystroke. Useful to repurpose played in automation.

Aside from this I also use these key commands:

To set my Grid Division units: Shift+1 = Lower | +2 = Higher | +4 =1/4 | +5=1/8 | +6=1/16 | +7=1/32 | +8=1/64
    To set my Grid Snap to Smart: CMD+ALT+` (or ~ Key)
    To set my Grid Snap to Division: CMD+ALT+SHIFT+` (or ~ Key)
    To toggle between Relative and Absolute Snap modes: CMD+ALT+/ (or ? Key)

Hoping this helps make the Logic Pro X experience better for everyone.

Enjoy!

IMPORTANT: Use this file at your own risk. Do not test it on important/sensitive project files unless you are 100% sure it works for you. I will not be held liable or accountable for any loss or damages of any kind to any party.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018 at 11:34 PM
    Gaffable, Saxer, Matt Riley and 6 others like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    S.M Hassani

Dec 30, 2014
    Midi Transform Shortcuts.png
    You can assign the Midi Transform keyboard shortcuts from the panel above which can be accessed using the Alt+K shortcut.

Search for "Transform" as indicated in the screenshot.

anp27 and Saxer like this.
  3. nordicguy

nordicguy Senior Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Many thanks for sharing!

S.M Hassani likes this.
  4. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Best A

S.M Hassani likes this.
  5. anp27

anp27 Senior Member

Jul 13, 2014
    I like these two the most, thanks so much for these!

S.M Hassani likes this.
  6. mc_deli

mc_deli n trepreneur

Feb 22, 2015
  7. OP
    OP
    S.M Hassani

Dec 30, 2014
    V2 Update: Added even more commands as seen in screenshot (new ones from blue line down)

SMH LPX Midi Transforms V2.png

Matt Riley, tmhuud and anp27 like this.
  8. anp27

anp27 Senior Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Great work! Could you please explain what "Add Half Length", "Remove 1/3rd Length" and "Duplicate +1 Beat" do?

S.M Hassani likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    S.M Hassani

Dec 30, 2014
    Thanks, I've added some GIFs to demonstrate them.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  10. anp27

anp27 Senior Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Great, thanks again!

S.M Hassani likes this.
  11. Matt Riley

Matt Riley Senior Member

This is genius work! Thank you! I will adding these to my template soon.

S.M Hassani likes this.
  12. Matt Riley

Matt Riley Senior Member

@S.M Hassani do you know if there is a way to select a 3 note chord and have Logic invert it?

13. OP
    OP
    S.M Hassani

Dec 30, 2014
    Hey @Matt Riley

I'm glad you like the presets and thank you for those kind words. Looking into some new ones which I hope to have soon. Chord inversions would be nice but I'll have to dig deeper, as they are not easily done with Transforms.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    Matt Riley likes this.
  14. Matt Riley

Matt Riley Senior Member

Ah, thanks!

S.M Hassani likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    S.M Hassani

Dec 30, 2014
    For now you can use the Alt+Shift+Up/Down Arrow to transpose individual notes a whole octave.

Tip: "Flipping" the 3rd gives you that nice open voicing, often used by the masters on strings and brass.

Matt Riley likes this.
  16. Vik

Vik Senior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    S.M Hassani and Matt Riley like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    S.M Hassani

Dec 30, 2014
    If you're ever annoyed with Logic's Playback Functions, this will allow you to control them better:

1- Set your MIDI chase function like this to hear your midi chords even if you play them from the middle of the event:

MIDI Chase 1.png

MIDI Chase 2 Highlighted.png
    Check the top most "Notes" and "Sustained" buttons as shown. You can also access this panel with the Command+, or (lowercase <) shortcut.

2- Set your playback settings like this to have full control over the playback position. (By default it jumps depending on your selections)

Playhead.png
    Click and hold the Play button to access this dropdown.

Now:

- Pressing the space bar will start playback from exactly where the playhead is. (unless you are in cycle mode, or have a marquee selection)
    - Shift+Spacebar will play from the start of your current selection
    - Press the 0 key on the keypad to move playhead to the start of your project.
    - Press the Shift+Enter key on the keypad to play from the right edge of your piano roll window.
    - Use the , and . keys (i.e lowercase < and >) to move play head 1 Bar.
    - Adding shift moves the playhead 8 bars.
    - I have the ยง key as my custom shortcut for "Set Rounded Locators and Cycle Play" Which will set a cycle around my selection and start looping it in one keystroke.

Hoping this makes LPX even better for our friends here.

Enjoy

-S.M

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018 at 12:10 AM
    jiffybox and Saxer like this.