What's new

Nothing to see here.

I can't offer much in the way of informed feedback. I'm listening on a one-ear phone/headset on my work computer so the finer points of mix and EQ will be lost on me, and I haven't played Arkham City yet so I can't comment on how close you are to the true score; all of that said, though, this sounds killer. The vibe is really great and it sounds generally like it should sound. If I were nitpicking, towards the end, I could hear the individual components a bit more clearly than I would expect, like maybe the synth beat was mixed a bit too forward, and you could use some more perc/string/brass layers and blending/gluing of the track together. Strong work!

Obligatory question: what libraries are you using in this?

Very cool. Arkham City is one of my favorite game scores.

The synth sticks out too much for my taste and has too much mids, the original has more bass. The strings could use some tweaking here and there and the whole mix could benefit from more compression. The rest is great, keep it up.

I'm very comfortable with the whole mix in general.

I wouldn't be. The mix is ok, but it certainly ain't all that.

The track is pretty cool; I am approaching this from the standpoint of this being a new track to my ears, as I am not familiar with the original game score.

I really like the vibe in the beginning, but you lose that after a while... right around 1:04. The break there is fine, but as the track continues, it doesn't build on the vib you had... in fact, it doesn't even revert back the vib you had before. I am trying to figure out what it is.... maybe the strings there? They sound pretty bad.

There is nothing punchy here; the mix is like taking a can of paint, throwing that paint up against a wall, and watching what form it takes. As it starts to build @ 1:37, the sound gets rather muddy, and convoluted. There is nothing there to easily focus on; the brain is trying to find something, and then grows tired after all that effort.

The mix is also a bit harsh; I want to take some steel wool and scrape away at the highs, and soften them up a bit. There is also a lack of low end. I wouldn't say you need a ton more, but something. You may be more apt to look to the arrangement there.

The choir in the beginning sounds good, btw.

All in all, this is pretty good, but still needs a lot of work to make it sound "pro" - assuming that's what you are aiming for. You obviously have an ear for this stuff, but it seems like you are still in the developmental stage there. Keep at it - you'll get there eventually.

Cheers.

Reactions: JH
Good job, I liked what you did with it. Can't really comment on the mix much with the headphones I'm wearing, but I think @RiffWraith gave some really solid feedback. Cheers!

Hi Epic, perhaps the stacato strings are not enough synched with the bass pulse? Also that percussion should benefit from some quantizing...

Top Bottom