Update W7 to W 10

germancomponist

Yesterday I updated windows 7 to windows 10, still free on the Microsoft website. Everything works fine and it is much faster!
Everything is in its old place, all settings for optimization as an audio PC have been adopted! That alone saved me so much work!

Many thanks to Microsoft!

Last edited:

Rob Elliott

That's good to hear on 'updated' and not wiping OS and starting over with a fresh install of W10. My challenge on doing 'anything' is a project on hand that is not finished until end of Jan. Will the free update be good then? I really don't want to make ANY os move until all assets are outta here.

My game plan was to try the update on a slave (end of Jan) and if all good - carry on. If not, then do the wipe and fresh install. BUT if the update costs a portion of the NEW os copy in a month - I might as well do the fresh install.

OP
germancomponist

germancomponist

My game plan was to try the update on a slave (end of Jan) and if all good - carry on. If not, then do the wipe and fresh install. BUT if the update costs a portion of the NEW os copy in a month - I might as well do the fresh install.
Huh,this was my plan, too. But now, I am happy. A good friend of mine told me that the update is free also on the Microsoft pages .... .

Will Blackburn

What version of 7 did you have initially and what version of 10 did you crossover to (Pro/Home etc)? I did that on my laptop last year and saw a massive performance drop. What Daw do you use?

OP
germancomponist

germancomponist

The cool thing is: I had and now have installed Cubase 5, 32bit, because I have many old plugs in 32 bit. And you know what? It works pretty best now also in Windows 10. This allone makes me so happy .... . ;) Try this with an Apple Computer .... . ;)