What's new

Up to 33% off all SYNCHRON-ized Special Editions - 30 days demos available!

Fair enough. Might I suggest to rework the content of each volume so that it makes more coherent sense. Like vol 1, can omit a few things like the solo strings or Appassionata extras, and finish off the winds section. Then vol 2, can focus on a more complete chamber strings or keyboards...etc.etc. Because there are volumes with scattered instruments, then ones that are focused on 1-2 instruments...I think there should be some uniformity about it. Just a suggestion (I'm sure it was mentioned before).
I think the current setup for the SEs makes totally sense (ok, Volume 4 is debatable).
You will get all basic instruments of a classical orchestra with Volume 1, additional instruments and ensembles with Volume 2 and more strings with Volume 3.

I think the current setup for the SEs makes totally sense (ok, Volume 4 is debatable).
You will get all basic instruments of a classical orchestra with Volume 1, additional instruments and ensembles with Volume 2 and more strings with Volume 3.
Would you say then that getting volume 1&2 is a better buy than the full SY Winds? (If winds are my concern).. Because there is no alto flute in the SY series and I'd need vol 2 to make that happen. The options are crazy making.. LOL Aside from some articulations, what exactly is missing from the SY WW dynamically that is. That is my main concern, I don't do too much fancy stuff that I'd need a lot of articulations, but getting expressive dynamic performances is important to me. Be thank you so much for your participation here...really helps narrow things down.

Like already said, the SEs are all-rounder at a very affordable price.
Yes, not all VI Woodwinds were SYized until now, but this is a different topic. There is no ETA when the other woodwinds will be SYized. If you want to have access to these winds I suggest to get the SEs and later may upgrade to the SYized WW.

Like already said, the SEs are all-rounder at a very affordable price.
Yes, not all VI Woodwinds were SYized until now, but this is a different topic. There is no ETA when the other woodwinds will be SYized. If you want to have access to these winds I suggest to get the SEs and later may upgrade to the SYized WW.
I know they are a complete orchestra, but I don't really need all the other instruments...LOL So I'd be getting this mostly to get a more complete wind section with ensembles. Everything else I have covered pretty much, that's why I wish there was a volume that covered winds only like you did with vol 5 & 6. But no worries, I'll demo them all some more and decide. Thanks again for your help.

I know they are a complete orchestra, but I don't really need all the other instruments...LOL So I'd be getting this mostly to get a more complete wind section with ensembles. Everything else I have covered pretty much, that's why I wish there was a volume that covered winds only like you did with vol 5 & 6. But no worries, I'll demo them all some more and decide. Thanks again for your help.

I am in a very similar conundrum @jaketanner. If the long term picture is to invest in SY then why get SE? The SY woodwinds is a complete focussed purchase (missing alto notwithstanding!) but the SE’s feel like a crippled version that might end up redundant eventually.
SE1 is great value for money taster, but after living with it for a while and deciding I really like the sound and playability, I don’t want to carry on down the SE route, I want the full caboodle.

Apologies for the basic question... I would like to ask if when testing the Synchron SE through the available Demo option, do I need to download the entire library content?

I am also wondering why I am not getting a special crossgrade price towards the Synchron Woodwinds, having purchased the full extended VSL Woodwinds II library with the Bassoon 1 extended... According to something I read in the VSL website I should be able to get some kind of special discount...

Many thanks and best regards,

Max T.

Hi Max,

I would like to ask if when testing the Synchron SE through the available Demo option, do I need to download the entire library content?
If my memory is correct you can choose what section you want to install.

I am also wondering why I am not getting a special crossgrade price towards the Synchron Woodwinds, having purchased the full extended VSL Woodwinds II library with the Bassoon 1 extended... According to something I read in the VSL website I should be able to get some kind of special discount...
Make sure you are logged in on the website to see your personal discount. If you can't see it when you are logged in, please send us a mail to [email protected] with you VSL account mail address.

Best, Ben

Hi Max,

If my memory is correct you can choose what section you want to install.

Make sure you are logged in on the website to see your personal discount. If you can't see it when you are logged in, please send us a mail to [email protected] with you VSL account mail address.

Best, Ben
Hi Ben,

Thanks a lot for your kind reply and for addressing my questions...

Just a quick thing about installing the Synchron SE as Demo... If in the end I decide not to purchase a license can the 'Demo license' installed in my VSL key be removed?

Regarding my other question about the VSL Woodwinds II crossgrade, I do not see any crossgrade price when logged into my account, so I will write to support like you suggested.

Best regards, Max

Just a quick thing about installing the Synchron SE as Demo... If in the end I decide not to purchase a license can the 'Demo license' installed in my VSL key be removed?
Yes, there is a small delete button near the demo licenses in the eLicenser Control Center.

Ben@VSL, any comment on my previous post about the issue I am seeing with repeating the same notes closely causing a large jump in the volume of the repeated notes. I mentioned how to reproduce this. I have now verified this with other daws I have, so is an issue with the Synchron Player and some of the preset groups in these SE libraries.

I am enjoying the demos so far, but this is a showstopper for me. Please let me know if this is something you can reproduce that the team can look into fixing as there is only a couple of more weeks on the sale for me to make up my mind on a purchase. Thanks!

Ben@VSL, any comment on my previous post about the issue I am seeing with repeating the same notes closely causing a large jump in the volume of the repeated notes. I mentioned how to reproduce this. I have now verified this with other daws I have, so is an issue with the Synchron Player and some of the preset groups in these SE libraries.

I am enjoying the demos so far, but this is a showstopper for me. Please let me know if this is something you can reproduce that the team can look into fixing as there is only a couple of more weeks on the sale for me to make up my mind on a purchase. Thanks!
Please PM me an audio example as well as the DAW project (if it is Cubase, if not please a MIDI) and add exactly what instrument it is and what articulation and I will look into it.

I am in a very similar conundrum @jaketanner. If the long term picture is to invest in SY then why get SE? The SY woodwinds is a complete focussed purchase (missing alto notwithstanding!) but the SE’s feel like a crippled version that might end up redundant eventually.
SE1 is great value for money taster, but after living with it for a while and deciding I really like the sound and playability, I don’t want to carry on down the SE route, I want the full caboodle.
That’s how I feel Also. The SE are more complete instrument wise but lack dynamics and vibrato and who knows what else. But the SY are missing the alto flute and alternate instruments. It’s a toss up. I do agree that it’s money lost though to get SE simply to spend more to upgrade later.

As of today, I now have all seven volumes. As buying these contributes to upgrade pricing for full libraries, I figure that if full SYNCHRON-ized editions come out later for Historic Winds and the like, it was a good investment and placeholder.

I hope to have time this week to start doing thorough articulation comparisons in all categories, to take better measure of what is missing from SE. I do a lot of swells using the pre-recorded Dynamics patches, and also a lot of sustain variations, but we've already seen with Synchron Strings I that there are other ways of achieving similar quality results in Synchron Player, so I may find that I'm able to use these SE's for final production work.

The sale is still good for about two more weeks. I did the full suite upgrade last night anyway, because I couldn't tell in advance whether the overall cost would be the same (I was only missing Volumes 5 through 7 by this point), if I first bought Volume 7 and then did the upgrade to the full SYNCHRON-ized Special Edition suite.

Last edited:
Will it be difficult to a library that we are demoing if we don't like it?
Solo cello 2 is about $30 less than the current SE 1 price. So I am demoing.
I own Muska, Lyra,Orion,Overdrive guitar and epic horns.I do not see any
discounts when I put BBO libraries or SE 1 in my basket. Am I eligible for any discounts?

I was wrong; my upgrade pricing for SYNCHRON-ized Dimension Strings and SYNCHRON-ized Dimension Brass is exactly the same as before I bought SYNCHRON-ized Special Edition Volumes 5 and 6. Maybe it just takes a while for the discounts to kick in though, as I've had this issue before. I didn't check the BS site yet as I'm not ready for the upgrade; the calculator there always seems better at catching eligible discounts.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I've got to say, for the first time, I'm rather disappointed with VSL.

I've got all the the Special Editions with the exception of Vol 6 & 7. Vol 6 is the Dimension Brass Pack and Vol 7 is the Historic Instruments.

I thought that the sale might be a good time to pick up Vols 6 & 7 as that would give me a pretty compact VSL collection for use on my laptop - and would use my other, bigger libraries on my desktop.

Now I already own a licence for the full Synchronized Dimenions Brass I & II libraries, which already contain the samples from Vol 6 already.

So perhaps you would have thought that there would have been some cross-grade/discount pricing for those with full Dimension Brass wanting to get vol 6 (&7). Nothing on the website, but we all know that the VSL website cannot cater for every eventuality, so I contacted support.

And the answer is .....Nope. Nothing. So although I already own both full Syncronized Dimension Brass libraries, there is no crossgrade to SE Vol6, which contains the articulations in vol 7 anyway.

I dont expect it for free, but I didnt expect to have to pay for the same samples twice.....

I dont expect it for free, but I didnt expect to have to pay for the same samples twice.....
This is exactly my concern with going SE first then upgrading to Synchron or Synchronized versions...they make you pay twice for the same samples. I think this is because they consider them separate libraries rather than an upgrade. You keep both libraries...while this is great for those that need both (seems like you fall into that category), but sucks for those that don't (myself).

I feel you though...something is just not right with their pricing sometimes and their website and products are really off the wall confusing. The more I dig into VSL, the more I see how much more efficient their website can be. There isn't even a comparison chart anywhere like most other developers have.

I do like the libraries I have from VSL...but I am second guessing to invest any further...I am looking at Vol 1 & 2 currently versus Synchronized Winds.

For reasons I don't understand, I seem to get a larger set of loyalty discounts applied when I buy from stores. But I don't take it as far as checking out a basket, so maybe some of the discounts get applied at that time rather than when you're looking at the individual product pages.

I'm not inclined to reverify this theory at the moment, as I am multi-tasking too much as it is, but maybe I'll feel brave enough to try some upgrade prices at the level of basket checkout, over the course of the next week. I fear it may be a sensitive subject, which is why I am somewhat disinclined. Many vendors prefer that you ONLY buy directly from their site.

Top Bottom