Untitled orchestral piece with some piano

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Jesse Tikka, Dec 5, 2018 at 7:11 AM.

1. Jesse Tikka

Jesse Tikka Senior Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Finland
    Been working on this for a couple days. Thoughts, suggestions?
    How do I make the transitions flow better?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 12:22 PM
    batonruse and whiskers like this.
  2. TGV

TGV Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I quite like the string sound and the texture. The solo piano sounds a bit cliché, warm, "emotional", drenched in reverb. I've got no suggestions. Is there a specific context for this track, or are you trying to set a certain mood?

3. OP
    OP
    Jesse Tikka

Nov 9, 2016
    Finland
    Would you say it's too much reverb? Or is it just that it's such a generic sound?

Anyway, I've got no real direction for this piece. Just started composing and it just kind of happened. Though there is one thing that I'm quite unsure of, which is whether or not the transitions are smooth enough.

Thanks for you input!

4. Silence-is-Golden

Silence-is-Golden ^^

Jun 8, 2015
    Generally I think that any comments you will receive from most will be biased by taste, preferences and other subjective properties, so find your own methods in dealing with what comes your way.

Here is my initial response,

1) I think the feel you have so far is potential

2) there is for me no relation between the strings and the piano. How you now have structured it suggests a q-> answer like relation, but I do not hear any relation other then a similar key.

3) the strings sound like block chords and dont breathe or move enough to my taste.

Again: potentially there are concepts to draw from: densely orchestrated strings vs open piano melodies.
    But there isno audible motiv or melody or rhythmic structure that suggests a relation...

So: potential yes,
    But maye use a structure that glues your musical idea(s) together

5. OP
    OP
    Jesse Tikka

Nov 9, 2016
    Finland
    Yeah, so this is what I was referring to when I mentioned the transitions. I'm not really sure how to make these different sections into 1 single uniform piece of music.

Thanks, I'll see what I can do.

6. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Certainly has potential. I would like to hear more interaction between the Strings & Piano, instead of 'the string bit, then the piano bit' structure at present. Say at 1:28 onwards I would suggest more interplay between the piano and strings - counter lines with the strings (not only chordal) against the piano melody lines. Well worth pursuing - I like the mood you're getting here.

7. OP
    OP
    Jesse Tikka

Nov 9, 2016
    Finland
    That might just be what it needs. That could also fix the issue Silence-is-Golden raised. Thanks!

8. Ned Bouhalassa

Ned Bouhalassa Senior Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Some good ideas are to be found, but these need more variety, imo; there’s too much sameness. Perhaps the piano could have greater dynamic range, the strings could play more articulations, and you could have a key modulation. Giving this sketch a proper title might also give you more direction. I usually imagine a scene/setting when not writing to image, as it gives me something to aim for.

9. OP
    OP
    Jesse Tikka

Nov 9, 2016
    Finland
    Yeah, key modulations are out of the scope of my knowledge, but I'll try to read on them. Thanks for the tips!