What's new

Unruly Drums - crazy all-snare drum kit with $9 intro price

DSmolken

https://shop.karoryfer.com/unruly-drums

Plenty of people sample drums that sound like classic drum sounds on hits of the past, but I did something different. I put together a kit where every drum is a snare, including the 20" kick, and a giant 22"x5" snare sitting where the floor tom would normally be.

It's sampled with sticks and brushes, including stirs and flutters on every snare. The stirs are an improved and much more playable version of the stir model we've been working on since Swirly Drums. I should probably make a separate video explaining how that works in detail.

There's also a hi-hat with six degrees of openness sampled with stick tips, stick shanks and brushes, crash and ride cymbals with multiple articulations, a woodblock, two types of rim clicks on each drum for your clickety percussion needs, and even noises of sitting down and turning on the stool. It all adds up to over 5600 samples and 2 GB.

Walkthrough:

$9 intro price until July 14, $39 regular price.

Congrats and keep it going! Sounds good and a great idea.
And yes, please make an extra video for the more subtile details.
Waiting for the Kontakt Version.
Cool demo track btw.

Kontakt version will take a while, mostly because I've got two other instruments already recorded that I really want to get working, but a video about the stirs will hopefully get done next week.

And glad you like the demo track. It's a quick little thing that someone put together in 24 hours, but it works, and sounds totally different than anything I would have come up with.

The guy who did most of the sample editing is also working on a track where he layered this with some other drums. That will be extra interesting - he's a rapper from Ghana.

Love it. Bought it. You had me at "Drift of . . ."

Please do roll out a Kontakt version as soon as is practicable.

Heh. No. But I do have the very impractical idea (because the recordings with decent depth would take hours and hours) of making oversized hi-hats from ride cymbals. A few people have done it in real life, but nobody's been unreasonable enough to make samples yet.

As for Kontakt, is that still on sale? This is probably as good a time to get that as any.

And yes, please make an extra video for the more subtile details.
Kontakt version is still just an idea, but here's the video about all the brush stuff. Even complex stir patterns are easily playable, and this stuff even works in live jams using an e-kit, which I'm quite proud of. But of course at the end of the video I had to throw in something completely unrealistic and indie-weird.

At some point in the future, I'm going to write out exactly how all that stir stuff works under the hood, with all the sfz opcodes and everything, for the Sfzformat Wiki.

Thanks a lot for the video!
I'm looking forward to make use of all those options
(and hopefully will use your kit in a composition soon after having sucessfully managed the workflow migration into cubase, but it's getting better)

(and hopefully will use your kit in a composition soon after having sucessfully managed the workflow migration into cubase, but it's getting better)
Awesome. Would this be something you're allowed to share, or is it for a client with an NDA? It's always cool to see how samples get used, but with these drums it's especially interesting, because there's so much unusual stuff with the extra snares and lots of rim clicks and the brush stuff detailed above.

No NDA really. I'm not in for any Media-Job. Just have to find time and muse to give it an adequate action part. Cubase is great so far - and I'm nearly finished finding all the shortcuts, which are important.
I really like the sound of the snares and all the tweakabilities this gives, you did a really good job there! Hopefully lots of composers discover the potential of the Unruly Drums.

Hopefully lots of composers discover the potential of the Unruly Drums.
While we wait for composers, here's a track by a rapper. I mentioned that most of the editing was done by a rapper from Ghana. He then also used the drums in this track - not all the drums, but the 22 inch snare is layered with some stuff, the kick and hi-hats are from Unruly Drums during the intro and hook, there are some toms and crash in the last hook, too. Trappy hi-hats with round robins!

To make things even more interesting, around 2:02 there's a lyric about "my money is foreign" which is literally inspired by getting paid for editing these drums. More honest than most rappers rapping about their money! And the original version also had some very synthy strings, so to make that more organic I made him a quick alpha version of a sustain patch for some cello samples I'm working on.

Last weekend to get this kit at the $9 intro price before it goes up to $39 Monday morning. And then the "you deserve full price" brigade can have their turn.

https://shop.karoryfer.com/unruly-drums

And just for fun, I talked friends who play children's music into using the 22" snare on a gig. Here's a snippet. Kids come running for the great taste of giant snare!

I'm also assembling a 16"x7" snare, which is more modestly oversized, but gotta shorten six more tension rods with a hacksaw and no vise. We'll see what I end up using that one for.

Top Bottom