What's new

Unfiltered Audio Lion

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
PluginGuru not only did a Walkthrough video, but just finished a Livestream which started on LION after some Omni2 content. Each weekly Livestream ( PluginGuru-YouTube) gets recorded and posted in 24hrs or so.
Worthwhile checking tomorrow as much time was spent on LION. imho

OP
S

shawnsingh

I hadn't really looked deeper at Unfiltered Audio's plugins until now. I had known about Byome before.

But now I just splurged on a few of their FX. I liked the focus on creativity and workflow from reviews and the manuals.

Time 44:00 is where PluginGuru starts talking about Lion. The OmniPulse library sounds cool too, but really, that's no surprise =)

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Anyone interested in Lion should also take a look at PhasePlant by KiloHearts. Similar modular idea but a lot more flexible and powerful.

Would definitely like to sort this versus LION especially at current LION promo cost ..... notable difference.
PluginGuru also did a Lifestream recently, which featured PhasePlant, and was complimentary. He seemed really impressed by LION capabilities this past Saturday, but perhaps because he walked-through Byome not long ago.

Good to see your post !

OP
S

shawnsingh

I don't see from videos how Phase Plant is more flexible - I feel like they're equally flexible. Anything in particular you feel is more flexible about it which I might be overlooking?

To me, the comparison really seems to be if there's a specific module/effect in one synth that someone really wants to play around with, or if the UI and visualizations appeal to someone.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Right now …… seems that 3rd Pty creators are already producing cool Presets for LION. Received e-mail today from
Vintage Synth Pads, offering new Preset lib (165 Presets) for ~$24. Total for LION and VSP is ~ $124.

What are major offsets against this ??

Pier Bover

I don't see from videos how Phase Plant is more flexible - I feel like they're equally flexible. Anything in particular you feel is more flexible about it which I might be overlooking?

To me, the comparison really seems to be if there's a specific module/effect in one synth that someone really wants to play around with, or if the UI and visualizations appeal to someone.
For starters in PhasePlant you can use as many oscillators/sound sources as your computer can handle and route them in any way you wish. In Lion you only have 2 oscillators.

Besides all the usual oscillator modes you can also use samples as oscillators/sound sources or wavetables, and it even includes a wavetable editor which reminds me of Zebra. AFAIK Lion cannot do any of those things.

You can also use audio for modulating any parameter, so anything can modulate anything. I'm not sure if Lion can do that.

gamma-ut

With Lion there are a bunch of unusual oscillators, like the Ringo and VOSIM modules, and a module that does a bunch of methods for combining them that aren't just a crossfade. The other synth that's like that (for the voice combiners) is DiscoDSP's Corona. With PhasePlant, you've got crossfade, AM and FM, although you do have a sampler module. So, there are things you can do in Lion that aren't, currently, possible in PhasePlant. The flip side to that is that the voice combiner modes are by their nature somewhat unpredictable in how they will alter the sound.

However, currently in PhasePlant's favour is that it handles MIDI CCs a lot better. I can't find a way to map CCs into Lion. OTOH, Lion directly supports MPE whereas PhasePlant doesn't.

OP
S

shawnsingh

Would be cool to see multi-stage envelope in either of these, looks like neither of them have it yet.

Chandler

If you're looking for something with more flexibility I'd recommend MSoundfactory. Its currently in public beta, but there isn't much it can't do.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Great 'initial' Beta pricing, then doubled .... not a peep about improvements since.
$199. versus many options ? .... not imho

Top Bottom