What's new

Underscoring

Henu

Dismember
I'm currently working on a very 80's- inspired military strategy game and taking a ton of references from both Jerry Goldsmith and Alan Silvestri. Which is challenging, to say the least, but also extremely fun!

I've been composing for games for years, but I've never been asked to do this style and while I can get some of it working nicely (on my personal standards), I get completely lost when trying to provide anything "less meaningful" or more "anonymous-sounding" music and everything turns quickly sounding like a hero is having his final fight against King Kong dressed in armour and machine guns.
My initial idea was to compose a couple of suites for different locations and basically just cutting them to pieces and using them as a "pool" where to launch the shorter pieces every now and then. However, slapping the files to the game made me painfully realize that while I've actually done an ok-ish 80's action movie soundtrack, it doesn't fit a strategy video game AT ALL. There is way too much stuff happening, too much dynamics, etc. It's like I can't give any room for simple development but rush into a crescendo as soon as possible.

After going back to the drawing board, I realized that technically all of these parts are ranging from medium to high intensity and there simply isn't enough of underscoring in the actual gameplay where you are just supposed to build and make decisions and not only conquer other players' bases. So I started to compose more stuff until I realized that I have no idea how to undescore in Ye Olde Way. In fact, I've done so criminally little of undescoring in general with an orchestra that I'm just banging my head against the desktop, throwing my empty notation sheets to the floor and playing absent-mindely either long and boring cello lines for idling or random woodblocks for suspension with my keyboard.

So, here's my question. How the hell is a proper non-thematic underscoring composed in those 80's and 90's orchestra-based soundtracks? I'm a sucker for that era adventure movie scores and could probably sing them while I sleep, but in those the music is mostly "on/off", very thematic or punctuating important moments only. I'm looking for some references which could help me to get started and to figure out something which would help me to "fill the blanks" between the more dense parts I already have.

Any help in underscoring (without using flautando chords, felt pianos and/or gamelan loops :D ) would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: The more I think of this, I'm pretty sure that had I ever actually studied classical composition properly, I could tackle this problem way easier. :(

Last edited:
What you're talking about is scoring a general mood - I did a fair amount back when I was doing music for games (15 years ago!). You can create a lot of atmosphere with a few simple elements - subtle, percolating rhythms with string or synth pads, little hints of melody here and there are nice. Simple chord progressions that create a mood are nice. Maybe a simple melody mixed way in the background. What might work for you is to spend some time listening to tracks that your client likes and take notes about what elements make up the music. Once you get a good idea about the DNA of this type of music, try creating your own version. Here are some examples I did for a military game:

and now I want to play Enigma: Rising Tide!

Well done Tim!

And Tim's advice is spot on - there are elements (some might say cliches?) that grab the ears, sometimes quite subtly. If the game developer has an idea of the effect they are after you can learn a lot from their examples.

I'm currently working on a very 80's- inspired military strategy game and taking a ton of references from both Jerry Goldsmith and Alan Silvestri. Which is challenging, to say the least, but also extremely fun!

I've been composing for games for years, but I've never been asked to do this style and while I can get some of it working nicely (on my personal standards), I get completely lost when trying to provide anything "less meaningful" or more "anonymous-sounding" music and everything turns quickly sounding like a hero is having his final fight against King Kong dressed in armour and machine guns.
My initial idea was to compose a couple of suites for different locations and basically just cutting them to pieces and using them as a "pool" where to launch the shorter pieces every now and then. However, slapping the files to the game made me painfully realize that while I've actually done an ok-ish 80's action movie soundtrack, it doesn't fit a strategy video game AT ALL. There is way too much stuff happening, too much dynamics, etc. It's like I can't give any room for simple development but rush into a crescendo as soon as possible.

After going back to the drawing board, I realized that technically all of these parts are ranging from medium to high intensity and there simply isn't enough of underscoring in the actual gameplay where you are just supposed to build and make decisions and not only conquer other players' bases. So I started to compose more stuff until I realized that I have no idea how to undescore in Ye Olde Way. In fact, I've done so criminally little of undescoring in general with an orchestra that I'm just banging my head against the desktop, throwing my empty notation sheets to the floor and playing absent-mindely either long and boring cello lines for idling or random woodblocks for suspension with my keyboard.

So, here's my question. How the hell is a proper non-thematic underscoring composed in those 80's and 90's orchestra-based soundtracks? I'm a sucker for that era adventure movie scores and could probably sing them while I sleep, but in those the music is mostly "on/off", very thematic or punctuating important moments only. I'm looking for some references which could help me to get started and to figure out something which would help me to "fill the blanks" between the more dense parts I already have.

Any help in underscoring (without using flautando chords, felt pianos and/or gamelan loops :D ) would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: The more I think of this, I'm pretty sure that had I ever actually studied classical composition properly, I could tackle this problem way easier. :(

Hahah, funny enough, I am in the middle of scoring a feature film that is using *exactly* that vocabulary! Jerry and Alan are two of my main influences, and I love scoring in this style.

So, first, something to think about. Alan and Jerry scored a lot LESS of a film than you think. There's actually a lot of music-less scenes in their 80's movies (BTTF and Predator come to mind). Second, much of their underscore is actually music with motion, but it's done at mezzoforte or less. You can have quiet music with motion, and it won't blur against the dialogue, etc. (More on motion in a sec).

Third, much of what Alan and Jerry will do is take a structure (like a triad in the low winds), and have one or more of the notes oscillate like neighbor notes... that creates a burbling/somewhat "motoric" feel that is still organic and non-invasive. Heck, you can even oscillate between two triads (Jerry does this in Alien, Alan in Predator).

Finally, never underestimate the power of a quarter note pedal point pulse in a quiet timpani, or a quiet harp pluck. That is a great way to move a scene forward, but not slam the viewer. Jerry does that in First Blood and Hollow Man, Alan does it in What Lies Beneath. (Although WLB is really a Bernie Hermann pastiche).

Hope this helps.

Mike

What you're talking about is scoring a general mood

Actually, if that's the impression you got, I most likely expressed myself wrongly, hah! Because I'm not technically after searching for a general mood as much as "technical" advice on "filling the blanks" with basically something very simple and sparse without saying tonally much. Nevertheless, from a gaming perspective your advice was of course very good and I also liked your music! :)

Btw @Farkle, already tried earlier today both the timpani/ harp, thing and it actually worked wonders so I completely agree! :D I guess that I need actually to stick with exactly that sort of stuff instead of trying to compose anything too complicated "classical" style which is out my skillset at least for now. Going with the mood-setting in general with winds and keeping the tonic pedal point long enough there to create some tension as well could be exactly what I'm looking for.

The motion combined with mf was also a very valuable advice- might be a bit trickier to pull off with libraries than actual players (I hope to get a real orchestra for this later if things go as planned) but hey, at least I got some time now as we're all locked inside, hah!

Thanks guys, you've been really helpful and if there are any more tips and tricks I'd love to hear them! <3

Actually, if that's the impression you got, I most likely expressed myself wrongly, hah! Because I'm not technically after searching for a general mood as much as "technical" advice on "filling the blanks" with basically something very simple and sparse without saying tonally much. Nevertheless, from a gaming perspective your advice was of course very good and I also liked your music! :)

Btw @Farkle, already tried earlier today both the timpani/ harp, thing and it actually worked wonders so I completely agree! :D I guess that I need actually to stick with exactly that sort of stuff instead of trying to compose anything too complicated "classical" style which is out my skillset at least for now. Going with the mood-setting in general with winds and keeping the tonic pedal point long enough there to create some tension as well could be exactly what I'm looking for.

The motion combined with mf was also a very valuable advice- might be a bit trickier to pull off with libraries than actual players (I hope to get a real orchestra for this later if things go as planned) but hey, at least I got some time now as we're all locked inside, hah!

Thanks guys, you've been really helpful and if there are any more tips and tricks I'd love to hear them! <3

FWIW, I'm about to jump on Facebook Live, and I think I'll be riffing on some of these ideas... you're welcome to check it out!

Mike

FWIW, I'm about to jump on Facebook Live, and I think I'll be riffing on some of these ideas... you're welcome to check it out!

Mike
sorry for the OT.
I guess you’re talking about your fb page?
If so, where do we find that?
Love(d) your Friday vids.
Haven’t seen them in a while, did some digging around to no avail.
(have to admit internet is not my forte).

Best,
/Anders

edit: On topic. For a less scarier sound you can try the low F on a vibraphone in unison with piano or harp. Quarter notes, messopiano-ish. That’s also a kind of driving sound.
Hope that I was on topic... :)

sorry for the OT.
I guess you’re talking about your fb page?
If so, where do we find that?
Love(d) your Friday vids.
Haven’t seen them in a while, did some digging around to no avail.
(have to admit internet is not my forte).

Best,
/Anders

edit: On topic. For a less scarier sound you can try the low F on a vibraphone in unison with piano or harp. Quarter notes, messopiano-ish. That’s also a kind of driving sound.
Hope that I was on topic... :)

Here you go, Anders!

I'm doing a bit of a career pivot (okay, a HUGE pivot), so for now, I'll be doing the Farkle stuff on Facebook live. I'm trying to figure out where the best place for me to be is, and right now, seems like FB Live and Instagram.

Thank you for the kind words! After I'm done with this film, I'll be getting back to Farkle Fridays!

Mike

Here you go, Anders!

I'm doing a bit of a career pivot (okay, a HUGE pivot), so for now, I'll be doing the Farkle stuff on Facebook live. I'm trying to figure out where the best place for me to be is, and right now, seems like FB Live and Instagram.

Thank you for the kind words! After I'm done with this film, I'll be getting back to Farkle Fridays!

Mike

@Anders Wall heads up, I'm back to doing Farkle Fridays! Today (July 24), 1500 Eastern, on YOUTUBE! See you there!

Top Bottom