Ultracheap surround monitoring

ptram

Hi,

I've not yet started working in surround, but I would like to start doing some little experiments. So, I'm trying to go practical and cheap.

First, I would like to try inexpensive (really inexpensive) consumer speakers for the rear pair. Will they not blend at all, when paired with the front studio monitors?

Second, I would like they were wireless, for freedom of placement. I don't know if wireless speakers would have to be connected with a transmitter to the audio interface, or they can be used as an aggregate audio device in the Mac's Audio and MIDI Setup.

Any hints, including that of abandoning this project at all?

Paolo

MartinH.

Hi,

I've not yet started working in surround, but I would like to start doing some little experiments. So, I'm trying to go practical and cheap.

First, I would like to try inexpensive (really inexpensive) consumer speakers for the rear pair. Will they not blend at all, when paired with the front studio monitors?

Second, I would like they were wireless, for freedom of placement. I don't know if wireless speakers would have to be connected with a transmitter to the audio interface, or they can be used as an aggregate audio device in the Mac's Audio and MIDI Setup.

Any hints, including that of abandoning this project at all?

Paolo

Just a thought, but I'm not an expert at all: can't you DIY a matching EQ profile for the new speakers by setting up a microphone, recording pink noise through your monitors, recording pink noise from your cheap back speakers, and using a match-EQ to bridge the gap between both recordings and apply that to the monitoring FX of just your two back speakers?

I wouldn't mess with wireless adapters, they probably all want to install themselves as individual audio devices and I'm not sure you can use them in a DAW the way you want to. Maybe it's different on Macs but I don't think that would work on windows while still using Asio drivers for your main interface. I'd rather look into better cable management solutions like flat cables under carpet etc..

Good luck and feel free to ignore this if someone else disagrees, I'm really not an expert on this.

OP
ptram

ptram

@MartinH., thank you for the interesting perspective.

I'm starting to think that my best bet is to find small powered monitors, and just connect them to two more outputs of the audio interface. Less troubles, easier to configure.

More cables around, but that's the nature of a studio.

EDIT: I'm just discovering this world. Take for example the Mackie CR4 or the Presonus Eris: power and audio cables only go to one of the speakers. The other one is a passive speaker, that can be cabled with thin speaker cable, to be hidden after a carpet. The "T" version even included Bluetooth. Very clean.

EDIT2: Twice the price, but something like the JBL 305P MKII might be better for music production. Both active, but as I said - there isn't a studio without ropes everywhere.

Paolo

Last edited:
OP
ptram

ptram

Another alternative could be a complete home theatre audio system. This would give me two alternative listening systems: the usual stereo studio monitoring, and the complete home surround system. Finer details to be edited with the main monitoring system, spatialization with the surround system.

Since multichannel analog inputs seem not to longer exist in these systems, maybe I can connect it by using the HDMI (or TB/HDMI) output from the Mac to the system's amplifier.

Paolo

Last edited:
OP
ptram

ptram

Another idea: a multi channel audio amp. Add any speakers as needed, starting with just the rear pair, and then add others as needed.

Paolo