What's new

ULTIMATE Spiccato Strings Shootout - Which Library Sounds Best?

nickmurraymusic

I decided to pull up 19 different Spiccato String libraries and test which one sounds the best (at the time of making this video). I tested Spitfire Audio's Albion One, Albion Legacy, Albion 2 Loegria, Albion 3 Iceni, Mural (Legacy), Spitfire Symphonic Strings, Hans Zimmer Strings, BML Sable (Legacy), 8dio's Century Strings, Adagietto, Anthology, 8VP Black, 66 Basses, LA Scoring Strings (LASS), Symphobia 1, Kontakt Factory Library (VSL), and EWQL Hollywood Strings. This is the ultimate showdown!

Comment below which library is your favorite? Did I miss your favorite one?

Do you like these comparison videos? I can do more!

fantasy sound

Really informative, thanks!
No love for Hollywood Strings though?

I would say HS probably doesn't sound "right" out of the box, it needs a lot of work to get better tone.
One thing is that HS gets really wild and harsh compared to other libraries when the velocity value is high. To my taste it's not always a bad thing, it could be useful depends on the context, but to get it sound nice and tamed the value should be around 100.
just my 2 cents

OP
nickmurraymusic

nickmurraymusic

Great comparison video!! Thanks for taking the time. Spitfire Symphonic Strings are on my radar.
Thanks guys! I posted over on KVRAudio and got completely roasted lol!! I appreciate the comments. And yes, I've heard great things about CSS and Ark as well. (Just dont have those ones).

babylonwaves

since the title says ULTIMATE (in capitals ...) you really want to include OT as well. at least the spics from the Ark series.
thanks for doing this!

ScoreFace

Wow, that is really very interesting, thanks for this!

I missed CineStrings and Afflatus Strings, would be interesting how these sound in comparison:).

bbunker

Yeah - Hollywood Strings you probably should have mentioned that you were using just the Main mics, which isn't the default for Gold or Silver (which has the mids). And TBH the Close mics are probably the most useful to you, with their broader, wider, punchier sound, so - there's that.

CSS, CS2, Cinestrings, Afflatus, ARK as mentioned, of course. And Berlin Strings seems like it would rate in an 'ultimate' shootout. Especially with your wide+cutting blending, I'm surprised you haven't gotten hip to Adventure or Trailer Strings from Musical Sampling.

In the well-worn category, there's also the EW Symphonic Orchestra strings, although there aren't enough "if you've watched any TV, you've heard these" tags for those.

And I kind of thought you might go through LASS color and stage things, or different mic positions, but that's "beyond ultimate?"

it's a fun video, anyway.

Sopranos

Awesome video.

Are these all "out of the box"? Looks like a lot of plugins or effects on the instrument channels?

Cheers!

OP
nickmurraymusic

nickmurraymusic

Yeah - Hollywood Strings you probably should have mentioned that you were using just the Main mics, which isn't the default for Gold or Silver (which has the mids). And TBH the Close mics are probably the most useful to you, with their broader, wider, punchier sound, so - there's that.

CSS, CS2, Cinestrings, Afflatus, ARK as mentioned, of course. And Berlin Strings seems like it would rate in an 'ultimate' shootout. Especially with your wide+cutting blending, I'm surprised you haven't gotten hip to Adventure or Trailer Strings from Musical Sampling.

In the well-worn category, there's also the EW Symphonic Orchestra strings, although there aren't enough "if you've watched any TV, you've heard these" tags for those.

And I kind of thought you might go through LASS color and stage things, or different mic positions, but that's "beyond ultimate?"

it's a fun video, anyway.
This was a comparison between the basic ensemble patches. Of course, any producer can adjust mic settings and tweak things till the cows come home.

Top Bottom