What's new

Ultimate Piano Comparison Thread

I disagree. There are numerous demos by "pro" pianists who make wonderful, expressive music with these sampled pianos. This one, in my opinion, being an example:

Now, if by "Pro Pianist" you are meaning a top tier concert-level Classical pianist, then I'd suggest no sampled or virtual piano is up to the task of performing adequately. Also, although some of the older UVI pianos have 4-5 sampled layers, the Austrian Grand in fact has 9 sampled velocity layers per key, as confirmed by UVI Support.

Beautiful tone, great playing covering the whole instrument. :) But you hear the dampers buzzing slightly on the bass notes. Very realistic, but a bit distracting. I'd like to hear him play other libraries to see if this is widespread. I don't play fast enough like this to test mine the same way. But definitely I like it, it sings well from what I hear in this video.

Creating a new diversion for myself here and hoping it provides some value to the community.

The aim is to create a comprehensive piano comparison using high quality MIDI. Too often demos, don't offer such consistency. It can be hard to tell what to buy. Hopefully people will join up and get all the big names represented - and the small character pianos too.

I am including the MIDI that I use - as well as a full instrument and mic rundown on whichever piano I post.
Thanks a lot of starting this thread, Rudianos. I'm generally happy with the library I use, but have come across several pianos in this thread which offer something different from Ivory II American Concert D, which I use, like eg. Vienna Imperial, Embertone Walker D, 1928 Scoring Piano, the UBI piano, the Light & Sound Concert Grand and more. Since you seem to have access to many of these libraries – and if you have any libraries you use more than other: do you want to share what some of your favorites are? I may go through all the 250+ posts again, but I'm still interested in which instruments that you and others who own many of them prefer!

I'm still interested in which instruments that you and others who own many of them prefer!
You’ll love this thread:

Thanks a lot of starting this thread, Rudianos. I'm generally happy with the library I use, but have come
You are welcome - very happy with how it is turning out - so many pianos here are represented. Glad you are enjoying.

This thread has opened up a purchase of Imperfect Samples Walnut Grand. I have not found a mix place for this - but it is so good to play. Like playing a real piano - a little out of tune - a little inconsistent - but so much character. Probably the most palpable Steinway tone of all the VI's.

For most of last year I reached for Ravenscroft. But I felt it lacked the true expression of playing on a grand - too much even to be fooled.

What I reach for now ... Vienna Imperial - that is 100 velocity layers in 40 GB. I love the tone - it can cut through and the engine can EQ each note separately and with touch sensitivity motivations you can bring up the low velocity timbre. So wide tonal. I prefer dry libraries so I can choose my verbs and such. It is also a piano that is studio grade but not 100% perfect tuning and such. Sale for $200ish. This piano does what I want when I want it - I am the limit here LOL. It has all the pedals etc.

Modern U3 is a great upright!

I was talked out of Synchron Pianos in all shapes and sizes. But 1 poster here did really get the best tone out.

Hammersmith was a great purchase and shows much promise. Picked that up for $80ish.

I have all the UVI and VI labs since Black Friday and they all are great - add a different sound or different feel. I can say this is mostly me wanting some sound for nostalgia or emotion. Will they make it into 1 mix from time to time? IDK? Price was right.

Alicia Keys is a solid piano to reach for... Soundiron Emotional Piano is so sweet a lovely to play. Jazz preset for me. I do horror with Soundiron Delphi. I should appreciate my Teletone more, in time.

Impact - Hammer Klavier is also very fun to play! and an untalked of Fracture Sounds Dulciano

Have to be more choosy now with Hard Drive Space limitations.

(Broken Link Removed) at PianoWorld just prepared a nice piano VI comparison via MIDI (Fantaisie Impromptu). It is fast and easy to compare 60 pianos on one page:

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3192998/virtual-pianos-comparison.html

(Broken Link Removed) at PianoWorld just prepared a nice piano VI comparison via MIDI (Fantaisie Impromptu). It is fast and easy to compare 60 pianos on one page:

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3192998/virtual-pianos-comparison.html
Great comparison! It's nice to hear some lower-mid range notes ring out, since that's often the area that bugs me.

It's surprising how many of the pianos sound good, but that may be the nature of the piece selected. Still though, it's not hard to hear the characteristics you like and don't like.

Thanks for the new MIDI - here are 5 pianos - can certainly make more on request.

Chopin Ballade No.4 op.52 from @fan455

Noire Pure - Default

View attachment Chopin Ballade no.4 op.52 - Noire Pure.mp3

Hammersmith Pro - Default

View attachment Chopin Ballade no.4 op.52 - Hammersmith Pro.mp3

Piano in Blue - Default reduced pedal noise

View attachment Chopin Ballade no.4 op.52 - Piano in Blue.mp3

Walnut Grand Extreme - Close + Room

View attachment Chopin Ballade no.4 op.52 - Walnut Grand.mp3

Vienna Imperial - Close

View attachment Chopin Ballade no.4 op.52 - Vienna Imperial Close.mp3

Thanks for the new MIDI - here are 5 pianos - can certainly make more on request.

Noire Pure - Default

Vienna Imperial - Close

Piano in Blue is doing a fine job here! Walnut Grand has that sweet singing tone, but seems to get a little out of control around the 03:50 and onwards mark. Maybe the room mics are a little high in the mix? Thanks for posting these :)

Noire Pure - Default

Vienna Imperial - Close

Thanks for doing this, it's a great example. I may have missed something earlier in this thread, but could you please mention which Vienna Imperial is that, the old one or the Synchron, and if the latter, what is the "Close" setting listed as in their presets? Thanks!

Oh, and how about adding Ravenscroft or Garritan CFX?

Thanks for doing this, it's a great example. I may have missed something earlier in this thread, but could you please mention which Vienna Imperial is that, the old one or the Synchron, and if the latter, what is the "Close" setting listed as in their presets? Thanks!

Oh, and how about adding Ravenscroft or Garritan CFX?
The old Vienna Imperial. Yes I'll do another round with Ravens. Don't have CFX...

Top Bottom