What's new

UI elements not affecting vars on release

KrisY

Noob in frenzy loop
Hello. I am trying to get a UI-element on my ui to affect a variable in the RCB. It is a ui_value_edit element and let´s users enter a value of their choice between 1-19. The value is then used in on release as a minimum velocity under/over which to play or not to play certain things. It all works fine on init, I set the ui-element to make_persistent and I can retrieve the values fine, also upon pressing the "Apply" button in the script´s slot it always responds to the latest value.

My issue is what happens when I enter a new value on the ui. It does not respond to it correctly.

These things happening every time:

1. open instrument, variable is read via the persistence and is correct. No notes play below the set velocity value in the ui_value_edit.
2. I change the value in the ui_value_edit element, now it is a lower value, below the current velocity being played. The tone plays fine. As it should, it is above the minimum velocity value.
3. I again change the value in the ui_value_edit element, but now to a higher value than the previous one. I now play a velocity below the new value. It should not play, but it does anyway. The latest value was not used, whereas just a second ago, that was the case when the value was lowered.

I did not change or apply the script since the last 2 value changes, they both had the same chance to affect the RCB.

Is there something I am missing?

(my variable in the RCB that reports the current minimum velocity, is the same as the one on the ui.)

What's the actual code?

This works just fine here:

Code:
on init
   declare ui_value_edit $Vel (1,127,1)
   $Vel := 127
   make_persistent($Vel)
end on

on release
   if ($EVENT_VELOCITY > $Vel)
       ignore_event($EVENT_ID)
   end if
end on

What's the actual code?

This works just fine here:
... ...

Yes indeed that works good, in the test below:

Code:
on init

declare ui_value_edit $Vel (1,127,1)
   $Vel := 1
   make_persistent($Vel)

end on
on note

disallow_group($ALL_GROUPS)
    allow_group(0)

end on
on release

message("velocity is: " & $EVENT_VELOCITY)
    if ($EVENT_VELOCITY < $Vel)
         ignore_event($EVENT_ID)
    else
         disallow_group($ALL_GROUPS)
         allow_group(2)
         play_note($EVENT_NOTE, $EVENT_VELOCITY, 0, 0)
    end if

end on

The script i´m on is a long and tedious one, will try to narrow this feature down more accurately than I have so far. Posting it all here will include multiple errors, most likely and a waste of your time. But this above works and my issue is most likely the if-else regarding velocity, there may be contradictions I´m not seing. In my original there is also no pre-defined "$Vel := 1" on init. Which I thought was redundant since it´s an input value. But will add that. Many thanks for the help. If I cannot solve it I´ll add my condensed issue in detail.

What's the actual code? ...

Solved. The issue above was not the issue at all. My script is utilising a variable that stores the relevant group number throughout the script. Lots of UI elements and scenarios demanded that, or there would be too many repetitions. So the same var "$allowGroupX1 := 0/whatever" handles the changing and storing of the relevant group, followed by a last play_note with allow_group($allowGroupX1) ahead of it. That way I can keep the script concise.

My issue was that I had not reset the variable in the end of the on release. So the next time the release was asked for a number, the previous number applied, even in the event that the minimum velocity was not met. A quick workaround would have been to say if (EVENT_VELOCITY < min_vel) -> ignore event, as you did. But I didn´t like that I got a number that was wrong in the end of the script. Felt eerie.

Code:
    $allowGroupX1 := 99   {99 for "off", as instrument has max 85 grups.}
    $allowGroupY1 := 99
    $allowGroupZ1 := 99
end on  {release}

... that solved it. Thanks for the code.

Top Bottom