What's new

Udemy or Mike Verta?

jaketanner

Hi and happy New year,

Looking to further my knowledge. I have Virtuosity and Template Balancing from Mike. I also have string orchestration and trailer music courses from Udemy.

Any recommendations? I can get 3 from udemy with their current sale, or 1 from Mike...I am interested in Film/TV scoring work. Don't need any mixing classes...mostly orchestration, composing, creating mockups...etc...and the business side of things.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sounds like we've signed up to 2 of the same courses. :)
I've done a bit of the Trailer course and it's great so far. Haven't had time for the string one yet.

Another course I really liked is How to write music. It's pretty basic, but I learned to do things differently that I've done them before and make me think of other ways of writing music, so would definitely recommend it.

I have not taken any class from Udemy so cant say anything about that. But I have taken many of Verta classes and I really do enjoy his classes. Also Verta will be doing a new year sale soon.

Good to know, I will wait then.

Sounds like we've signed up to 2 of the same courses. :)
I've done a bit of the Trailer course and it's great so far. Haven't had time for the string one yet.

Another course I really liked is How to write music. It's pretty basic, but I learned to do things differently that I've done them before and make me think of other ways of writing music, so would definitely recommend it.

I thought of that one. I do some actual music writing, but not enough I think. And I also have not finished the strings one...very long. lol

just looked it up actually.. out of budget though. But will keep it in mind for the future, thanks.

Hi Jake! Apologies for the shameless plug (as I am helping Penka manage her masterclass distribution) but you might wanna check out Penka's new Career Cultivation Masterclass! She's a working Hollywood composer / orchestrator veteran with tremendous amount of credits / experience. There's a special discount for VI-control members (till 10th Jan) using the coupon vicontrol35 - it'll cost about $32 after the discount (r.p at $49) - You will definitely obtain invaluable nuggets of information and for such a price it definitely is a steal :)

https://penkamasterclass.com/item/5c04dc38f9ba2c12186326c8 (click here for the link to the masterclass site)

link to previews of her class on youtube

Hi Jake! Apologies for the shameless plug (as I am helping Penka manage her masterclass distribution) but you might wanna check out Penka's new Career Cultivation Masterclass! She's a working Hollywood composer / orchestrator veteran with tremendous amount of credits / experience. There's a special discount for VI-control members (till 10th Jan) using the coupon vicontrol35 - it'll cost about $32 after the discount (r.p at $49) - You will definitely obtain invaluable nuggets of information and for such a price it definitely is a steal :)

https://penkamasterclass.com/item/5c04dc38f9ba2c12186326c8 (click here for the link to the masterclass site)

link to previews of her class on youtube

Cool, I will check it out and thanks for the suggestion:)

Mike. Every time.

Then progress to scoreclub and/or Ludwin (https://www.musicnewapproach.com)

Udemy courses - some are ok bits and pieces, but to me they always feel like the instructor is summarizing the bullet points from the chapter summaries from a much better textbook. Occasionally useful for an overview, not much more.

I feel that way about the string course. It’s a bit boring. The trailer course was all hands on and I got a lot out of it. But I know what you mean.

I bought a Udemy course that was apparently worth like 200 bucks for 12.99 on one of their recent sales.

Absolutely not worth 200 lol

Iirc if you sign up for their newsletter or something like that, you'll get a ~90% off offer at some point. I never took one of their courses but from forum discussions in other places it sounded like no one really pays full price for them.

The udemy orchestration course is very useful while you are studying Korsakov's Principles of Orchestration. The 'composing for strings' course is very useful for exactly that, although I disagree with how it is structured. The trailer-music course is awesome.

I like udemy for what it is, which is mostly an auditory and visual aid while studying theory. Quality varies wildly between courses and I'm pretty sure that, aside from the very basic stuff, you're better off taking more in-depth courses elsewhere.

I bought about 8 Udemy courses on the subjects of music and computer language studies during the black Friday sale for about $12.99 each, and have returned half of them already. Apparently their usual price was around $199, which is what attracted me in the first place, but I find the full price a bit hard to believe and I'm guessing they are on sale, perpetually. I prefer Lynda.com for online short courses, although I'm not sure how much they have on orchestration. Each to their own.

I bought about 8 Udemy courses on the subjects of music and computer language studies during the black Friday sale for about $12.99 each, and have returned half of them already.

The one I'd bought was some course about orchestration that they kinda branded as being one of their most popular.

Utter garbage.

It was basically this woman explaining things I already knew, and was nothing that you couldn't find for free on random music sites, forum posts, YouTube, or cheap ebooks. It was just so basic from start to finish, and catered to the lowest-common-denominator of music. How they felt this is worth 200 bucks is beyond me.

Though, as I explained in a thread a couple months back when someone was asking what courses people have purchased, I find "low-quality, high price" is kinda the status quo on online courses.

Which is why I mostly avoid them now and just learn face-to-face with qualified teachers.

Top Bottom