What's new

UCS - Worth a look !

MarcusD

Custom title
Been looking into tagging and metadata workflows and stumbled across the UCS, or Universal Category System. It's been developed by some lovely people to provide a standardisation when working with your own sound libraries. They also provide free recourses, a pre-made folder structure and a handy table of contents for assessing, tagging and naming files & metadata.

timprebble

Sound designer, Composer, Sound library developer
The UCS metadata system is very good, and especially as it enables efficient language translation... If you do not know what to do with metadata, then following the UCS system is invaluable.

But the filename system, which is optional, is not so well thought out & I won't be adopting it.
YMMV

timprebble

Sound designer, Composer, Sound library developer
The UCS metadata system is very good, and especially as it enables efficient language translation... If you do not know what to do with metadata, then following the UCS system is invaluable.

But the filename system, which is optional, is not so well thought out & I won't be adopting it.
YMMV

OK... well... I literally just finished tagging every sound I have ever released as a library at HISSandaROAR.com!!

My master spreadsheet has 13,546 individual records, each now tagged with UCS category and sub category... With regards to the UCS Filenames, I have provided these as an option in the metadata spreadsheet, so its an easy batch rename process for those who do want to use them.

The process has also be useful for standardising my metadata (eg microphone names) and fixing typos and spelling mistakes from the last 11 years of sound library development.

BUT OMFG I AM VERY HAPPY TO NOT LOOK AT METADATA AGAIN FOR A WHILE!!

Time for a drink and a lie down!!

ive-stopped-drinking-funny-drinking-memes.jpg

Top Bottom