UAD Arrow Interface - ADVICE

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Mr. Edinburgh, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:05 AM.

1. Mr. Edinburgh

Mr. Edinburgh Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Does anyone here use a UAD Arrow with an iMac?

How does it perform - and does it overload?

How many plugins can you run before it slows down / crashes?

Would love to know guys and gals.

Thanks!

2. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    This is better suited in the GEAR section, this is for samples...you will get better results there.

Mr. Edinburgh likes this.
  3. Bear Market

Bear Market Active Member

May 9, 2017
    How many plugins you can run depends on the plugins. For example, one of my favs, the Massive Passive requires around 60% of one DSP while other plugins are in the single digits.

If I'm not mistaken, the Arrow only has one DSP. You can have a look at this chart to see how much DSP the UAD plugins require: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215262223

Mr. Edinburgh likes this.
  4. mikeybabes

mikeybabes Only the good die young....

Nov 21, 2016
    Yorkshire, U.K.
    I have an Apollo Twin running on a Late 2015 iMac i7 4Ghz with 48Gb Ram. Because it connects via thunderbolt and the plug-in processing is performed in the interface itself, as long a the connection is good enough (and thunderbolt is) the performance of the iMac is not really the consideration here.

However, my advice would be to spring the extra cash and get the Apollo Twin. One Processor will get used up very quickly. I've happily managed with a twin, but if I'd bought a solo I'd have had to be freezing trucks all over the place.

I get the impression that the Arrow is kind of skewed towards being a mobil interface....

Mr. Edinburgh and dcoscina like this.
  5. Bear Market

Bear Market Active Member

May 9, 2017
    Or if you're primarily after the plug-ins and don't need a new interface, perhaps look at the Satellite DSP accelerators?

6. mikeybabes

mikeybabes Only the good die young....

Nov 21, 2016
    Yorkshire, U.K.
    If I were making an investment into UAD I'd definitely want the Unison technology - but that's just me.

7. dcoscina

dcoscina Senior Member

Nov 16, 2004
    I just recently bought a Apollo Twin Duo and also find it terrific. The Arrow wasn't an option for me since I only have TB2 computers and my sense is that it's underpowered for heavy plug in use. But if you want a mobile bus powered solution, it's probably one of the best out there on the market.

8. Nmargiotta

Nmargiotta Composer TV and Advertisement

Jan 20, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I have an arrow for my mobile rig, my studio has an Apollo X6, I use the arrow when Im traveling so I can:
    -still access my mixes with UAD plugs (ill usually prepare the session before going mobile with it and freeze the all tracks, that way I can access the UAD tracks one at a time if they need adjustment and then refreeze)
    -have a relatively high-quality mobile d/a converter while mixing in headphones/plugging into monitors at another studio.
    -recording things on the go with unison

I love that It is bus powered and doesn't break the bank!