What's new

UAD-2 Satellite USB Quad Sufficient for Entire Project?

patrick76

Is the UAD-2 Satellite USB Quad sufficient for running lots of plug ins at once? Say on a full rock production or orchestral project (with some processing on each track), would one unit be sufficient? I probably don't NEED any more plug ins, but I've been really wanting a Manley Stereo Pultec or Massive Passive...... and I can't quite afford the hardware ;) .... so.... Thanks!

It's impossible to say. Some plugins can run dozens of instances before maxing out the processors, others can run around 1 per core. Here's a chart that breaks it down for you:

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215262223-UAD-2-DSP-Chart?mobile_site=true

I would get the octo core, especially because UAD caps off your devices at 6, so you have a chance at not having enough cores at some point in the future. When in doubt, throw money at it, and then your doubts go away.

I’ve been using SHARC DSP ADSP Series 2000 chips for over a decade now.
Highly recommend them to anyone. UAD, Fairlight, Antelope and Scope all have great platforms.

Recently I bought 3 DSP Based MIDI Controlled “Pedals” for live work but they turned out to be fantastic for recording too.

I was concerned that Analog I/O would be less than ideal and I assumed wrong.
I don’t care for the jack of all trades approach and prefer the outboard processing of Reverbs, Delays and time based Modulations, so the Strymon Mobius, Timeline and Big Sky cover all of those FX with Supreme algorithims.

Now my DSP Rack can be used for mixing, EQ and Dynamics which it excels at, my DAW/VST Host is used for streaming audio only.

You might be able to get going with a quad, and instead of buying more UAD gear add Pedals. These MIDI Controlled pedals are incredible FX units. There’s so many options for these too, Strymons happen to be my favorite, but there are several out there.

Here’s my live rig. A 1U PC in a open frame for local work, when I fly it re attaches to a Shockmount ATA Flight case.
But the Converter and DSP Rack sits above the PC.
Then I use the Analog SE-02 synth for bass/lead and another Chip Based Hammond B3/Leslie 147 clone, it is accurate down to the clicking noise, also uses an FPGA Chip.

Chips are the action for me. Always have been.

2C277C6B-D8CB-446D-B07D-0A2AA9D1F2B6.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info gentlemen. Wow, that chart is really interesting. Up to 70% for one instance of one plug-in! Very good to know.

One core is normal for high end stuff.
My DSP Tube Mixer with EQ and Filters per channel with 6 x Stereo AUX Channels and 8 Buss uses 6 x ADSP-21469 Chips.

It’s okay though because I’ve got 18 total, and 12 of them have their own DRAM per chip, 64MBs.

I can run Pultec EQs on every channel, Fat Bastard Greasy Drive on every channel, tons of expansion, compression and limiting.

It really helps having a Neo Vent as a Rotary Cabinet, Big Sky for all Reverbs, etc.
Even with a boatload of Chips I still find a reason to buy more hardware with DSP Based programming.

5DBD6326-512A-47E1-AA8C-6A98685832CC.jpeg

Top Bottom