U-he Diva & Repro on sale for 50% - redundant if i have Arturia V collection 6?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Goldie Zwecker, Feb 4, 2019.

1. babylonwaves

babylonwaves Senior Member

May 9, 2015
    in case you don't: keep in mind that the scaling and parameter ranges of those old synths vary a lot. take two real prophets and compare them side by side: they will sound different and behave different. 30 years and also environmental influences do a lot to analog circuits. on top, in many cases, things were altered during the entire production run. sequential did this a lot, those synths were pretty much hand made and changes + improvements of the PCB were nothing unusual.

pmcrockett likes this.
  2. pmcrockett

pmcrockett Senior Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Saint Louis
    I've actually been surprised by how alike u-he's and Arturia's recreations of the underlying hardware sound. To me, the core sound seems like the thing that's actually the most similar across the two synths. There are definitely differences -- the most major I've found being that the waveforms on oscillator B sum differently -- but in most cases I've found so far, if I use only the parameters that are common between the two synths, I can create the same sound. Not just in a yeah, I can tell that's supposed to be the same model of synth kind of way but in an I literally can't distinguish between the two way.

Granted, I haven't looked at frequency spectrum analysis or anything like that -- I'm just going by ear -- but I went into this kind of assuming that u-he would be the clear winner, and that's not the case at all.

ionian and KallumS like this.
  3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    I found that once in the mix, u-he is the clear winner, whereas Arturia's older emulations are quickly buried by other stuff. They don't hold out in the mix well and require much more additional processing to make them worth while. With u-he, they fit the mix like a glove.

Polarity, PSKLN, SoNowWhat? and 3 others like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Goldie Zwecker

Goldie Zwecker Active Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Well, ended up getting both. I guess i couldn't go wrong with either for 50% off the price.

SoNowWhat? likes this.
  5. pmcrockett

pmcrockett Senior Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Saint Louis
    Playing around with more complicated sounds, the differences in additive waveforms between Repro-5 and Prophet V become a pretty big deal. Looking at Repro factory presets, a lot of the depth and punch seems to come from this sort of layering, but trying to duplicate it in Prophet V gives me a thinner, looser sound. So it looks like this is the place where the two sound models really diverge.

SoNowWhat? and sostenuto like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Goldie Zwecker

Feb 1, 2017
    My dillema was never around repro. Only about Diva. Anyway, doesn't matter now.

7. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Even Diva is heavy for my mac i buyed it.Now i feel i dont need much else for synth sounds what i now have. expect softube modular and komplete upgrade someday and imposcar 2.

8. OP
    OP
    Goldie Zwecker

Feb 1, 2017
    My only disappointment so far is that i found out too late (my fault) they don't come in standalone. So i have to start cubase each time i want to play these...

9. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Yes, this is the thing that I dislike most about the SF player as well. Sometimes I just want to noodle about without having to start up the DAW (very much a first world problem, I know). Is there a good, stand-alone VST player? I presume Komplete Kontrol would work for Diva and Repro because they are NKS compatible, but is there something that works generally for VSTs?

10. tosza

tosza Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Just use savihost as a 'standalone' player...it's small, fast and easy.

11. brynolf

brynolf Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Stockholm
    Reaper starts up in about a second :inlove:

Inceptic and sostenuto like this.
  12. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    There is some lightweight vst hosts what you can start faster.

13. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I have Zebra 2 and Zebra HZ and love them. I don’t have any of the products in the U-He bundle and very tempted. I’m just wondering about Repro and Diva. My synth knowledge is pretty limited and I’m curious what it is they bring to the table. I’m still trying to learn Zebra and concerned I’ll just be buying more stuff. What are the main differences between them all? I can hear they all sound different but I’m unsure what makes them different.

The main reason I am tempted at such a cheap deal is because if they are anything like Zebra then I’m sure they are amazing. I guess it whether I “need” them.

14. DivingInSpace

DivingInSpace Active Member

Feb 10, 2018
    While Zebra is a modern digital, half modular synth, Diva is an analog emulation with a semi modular twist and Repro is specifically emulating the analog synths prophet and prophet 5. Diva sounds great, and can do some beautiful smooth sounds and actually sounds very analog, and same goes for Repro, it just has more bite than Diva. Both are really beautiful, but wether you need them or not? Only you know.

Go to U-He's website and download the demoes, play around with them and try out the presets. You'll figure out wether you need them or not.

15. kgdrum

kgdrum Senior Member

Apr 11, 2005
    As DrivinginSpace said Diva & Repro give you more of an Analog flavor than Zebra,yes they are AMAZING and they're GORGEOUS!!!
    Diva and Repro give you different colors for the pallette and imo they are a bargain w/ this sale.
    Whether you need then is a different story,I have lots(too many) synths including Omni but U-he for me are my absolute favorites. ;)

jononotbono likes this.
  16. Josh Richman

Josh Richman Active Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Here I’ll say it. You need Repro.

It’s awsome. It’s probably the reason I haven’t bought a real DSI prophet yet, it’s that good. You get actually get two synths with it. 1 & 5

jononotbono and Goldie Zwecker like this.
  17. Dandezebra

Dandezebra Sorry for the inconvenience

Jan 7, 2018
    The u-he demos are fantastic as well as they are very playable and let one get a good feel for the synth.

jononotbono and Goldie Zwecker like this.
  18. TGV

TGV Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I had already played with Repro when u-he was testing the filter implementations, but back then I considered it a bit "meh": better than what I had, but only just so, and fairly limited in its scope. I always thought Diva would be of more use. For this sale, I demoed them again, and I have to admit I completely misjudged Repro: what a lively thing it is. If you program a simple string pad, it sounds more interesting and alive than a similar patch in other plugins with a similar architecture. The resonance also has a very natural, "organic" response that somehow is easier to use than in other plugins.

Repro's secret effect weapon must be the "RESQ" pedal, though: we all know how to add distortion or drench a pad in reverb, but RESQ can really shape a sound. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it in my limited experience.

jononotbono likes this.
  19. Josh Richman

Josh Richman Active Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Got the bundle. DIVA here we go!

20. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Yeah I caved and bought it earlier too. Very nice bundle!

SoNowWhat? likes this.