Twitter was a mistake

MartinH.

I just stumbled over this and since it's about Michael Giacchino and we seem to have a "slow news week" here in the Drama zone, I thought I'd leave this here. So if boredom or whatever drove you to this part of the forum, enjoy... I guess?

Dominik Raab

I’m kind of curious. At the same time, I promised my heart and digestive system not to watch anything that has The Quartering in it. Dude makes me want to have a heart attack and shit myself at the same time. Can you give a brief summary of what the hell this is about before I subject myself to TQ? Much appreciated.

Reactions: cqd
OP
M

MartinH.

I’m kind of curious. At the same time, I promised my heart and digestive system not to watch anything that has The Quartering in it. Dude makes me want to have a heart attack and shit myself at the same time. Can you give a brief summary of what the hell this is about before I subject myself to TQ? Much appreciated.
Ok, I'll wrap the summary in spoiler tags:
-Giacchino tweeted about the old King Kong movie
-someone said it was Hitler's favorite movie
-Giacchino said "Fuck Hitler"
-TheQuartering tries to frame Giacchino as another creator arguing with (comic-)fans and virtue-signalling
(he probably just wants to manufacture the type of drama that he can spin one of his typical videos out of)
-most of the video is about how weird it is that we've reached a point where not even "Fuck Hitler" is something the internet can agree on, and D'Angelo Wallace is defending Giacchino and criticizing TheQuartering

I'm split 50/50 whether TheQuartering is as stupid as he acts, or if it's all an act and he just stirs up drama to make money from the videos he makes about that drama. He seems like his day job is marketing related and he seems to treat youtube as a side-income that could go away any day. I think he's milking it as hard and fast as he can with little to no regard for the consequences.

Now that you've read the summary, I don't see why you'd still want to watch the video. So maybe watch this one instead:

It's a very intelligent and very depressing video about how things have come to what they are, and hopefully will guide you to better understanding of yourself and your fellow angry people on the internet.
The message I took away from it is that it doesn't help to get mad at people like TheQuartering, it just fuels the anger-machine further and it all gets worse and worse and worse.

Last edited:

Dominik Raab

Thank you, Martin. Much appreciated.

I don’t think Quartering’s as stupid as he acts. I do believe he gets artificially outraged at the SJWs’ outrage culture (the irony!). At the same time, he does believe his bullshit to a certain degree. Not all of it—but some of it. He’s knee-deep in this GamerGate and anti-SJW bullshit.

The message I took away from it is that it doesn't help to get mad at people like TheQuartering, it just fuels the anger-machine further and it all gets worse and worse and worse.
And that’s pretty much why I don’t watch his videos—because if I did, I probably couldn’t resist the urge to comment, and that would have the exact effect you describe. I usually try to be the opposite of what he accuses “SJWs” of (as in, I try to engage with people with a different viewpoint as opposed to sitting comfortably in my progressive echo chamber), but there are certain creators I can’t bare to watch. Not because they question my beliefs, but because they’re being so dishonest and stupid about it. Stupidity riles me up.

ProfoundSilence

The Quartering isn't the brightest bulb, and he's hit or miss. That said, sometimes there's something worth talking about, other times he's drumming up drama because it's how he gets his paycheck.

FWIW I don't have a twitter.

It is funny that he defends himself against the internet - I can't say I wouldn't do the same, but seems realllly dangerous career wise.