What's new

Tweaking Hollywood Strings

Performances that use bow-change, slur legato and portamento require a lot of moving notes around due to the different delay times in legato transitions. I feel like that's what most people refer to when speaking of 'tweaking' the library. Can be annoying, but I love the sound, so oh well. :)
This is a good observation - once you learn this library, I think the editing part goes really fast and you also learn to input the notes in live by playing them slightly ahead of the click. I actually get to a satisfying end result with Hollywood Strings faster than other string libs I use.

Maybe if I were using Diamond instead of Gold, I'd "tweak" less. But as it is, I'll often EQ the heck out of my HWS. Not because they sound bad, its just part of how I mix. A new piece of music will often have a different tone, arrangement, and goal. So everything gets mixed according to those things.
In fact it's one of the things I love most about HWS. Want it to sit with epic brass and percussion in a trailer production? You can tweak it! Want it to sound large and lush and like it's coming from a concert hall stage? There's a tweak for that!
So yeah, I tweak it. Just as I do with every other library I use.

One of the tweaks I put on every instance of HWS is rewiring CC1 to CC2 and CC11 to CC1. They really gotta re-release new patches that have dynamics on modwheel, it's annoying that they're the only library I have that doesn't work like all the rest. Dynamics on CC1, vibrato on CC2 is how tons of string libraries work.
Same here. For the legate patches that's the simplest way of dealing with it

Haha.. would you believe I was thinking of starting pretty much the exact same thread today, well, in relation to the complete EWHO...

Top Bottom