What's new

Trying to study Daphnis et Chloé

GREAT study piece. Oh, brings back memories. Can’t remember which performance/recordings I listened to most but there has to be several recorded since I studied it.

GREAT study piece. Oh, brings back memories. Can’t remember which performance/recordings I listened to most but there has to be several recorded since I studied it.

I’ve found this one on iTunes so I will buy this in a bit. Will be nice having on my iPhone anyway. Yeah, I’m trying to knuckle down on theory, Piano practise and I want to study some great music. So this is going to be what I study for a while. 1 bar at a time! Forever and ever and ever Danny!

FBBFFD1B-6AFE-4D1D-AE9F-92F6CE6D81E9.png

Gramaphone's 2018 award for best Orchestral Album went to Harmonia Mundi's recent recording:

Last edited:
Re the question raised in the first post of this thread about the Dover score and recordings, see what conductor François-Xavier Roth says at 2:30 in the video in the post above.

Sounds like there may be some differences between the Dover score and what one hears in recordings, certainly in the Harmonia Mundi recording.

Last edited:
I have the Pierre Boulez Recording the with New York Phil and I’ve yet to hear a better interpretation.

That kind of begs the question of what you've heard :)

By the way, François-Xavier Roth, in the video three posts up, talks about assisting Boulez, when he was a young conductor, on a performance of Daphnis and Chloé. He seems to share Boulez's lack of regard for the story.

Last edited:
That kind of begs the question of what you've heard :)

By the way, François-Xavier Roth, in the video three posts up, talks about working with Boulez on a performance of Daphnis and Chloë.
I’ve heard a Lot Rory. 50 different versions at least. It’s preference really. Boulez gets the brass to be very pronounced in that first section where most other recordings have much tamer renderings. As a brass player I like that the trumpets are more pronounced.

I’ve heard a Lot Rory. 50 different versions at least. It’s preference really. Boulez gets the brass to be very pronounced in that first section where most other recordings have much tamer renderings. As a brass player I like that the trumpets are more pronounced.

Thanks. Given that Roth worked with Boulez on Daphnis and Chloé, it would be interesting to listen to both recordings side by side.

Last edited:
I have a few recordings of this ballet, one of them Pierre Monteux's 1959 recording with the London Symphony Orchestra. I would be inclined to have Monteux's recording at hand if I were reading the score. Monteux conducted the world premiere of Daphnis and Chloé, on which he worked closely with Ravel.

Last edited:
I agree with the Boulez/Berlin recording. It's a fantastic interpretation and sounds absolutely gorgeous. That Harmonia Mundi one mentioned above is likely worth looking at as well. That's a great label for natural, beautiful sound.

Here's Gramophone's 2018 list of the top 10 Ravel recordings: https://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/article/top-10-ravel-recordings

For Daphnis and Chloé, it recommends the recent Roth/Harmonia Mundi album (post #10). Note the reference to the 1959 Monteux recording (post #16). It seems to me that the Monteux recording is mandatory for anyone who wants to study the score.

I have a number of the Ravel recordings that Gramophone talks about and my sense is that their recommendations aren't far off. On the piano concertos, I wouldn't want to choose between Abbado/Argerich and Boulez/Zimerman, so have both :)

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 22.22.22.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom