What's new

Trying to identify a certain type of composer

MarcusMaximus

I'm doing some research to help with an on-going self-promotion project. To that end, does anyone have any suggestions on how to identify well-known composers who create or created music that could be described as 'dramatic, intense, atmospheric and (to some extent) experimental'? This would include modern and present day composers as well as historic.

This is not primarily about film/media composers but could certainly include them.

I know this is a very broad question and I am throwing the net wide but I'm just wondering what names people would come up with as it's proving more difficult to nail down than I thought it would. I have of course done searches in Google, YouTube, SoundCloud and Spotify. Thanks.

Would Danny Elfman's score for The Girl on the Train be an example of what you're looking for? I think dramatic, intense, atmospheric and experimental. It's one of my favourite quirky scores.

Reactions: Vik
Thanks I'll have a listen to that. I'm mostly interested in composers of 'stand-alone' music rather than film scores as I don't write film or media music but whatever composers might fit the bill are certainly worth checking out. In classical terms I think of Stravinsky, Debussy (especially La Mer - hugely dramatic and atmospheric), Ravel etc. I'm less sure of who's out there currently that might fit the description though. They don't have to be purely orchestral either - I just listened to some of Girl on The Train and yes that sort of music is definitely in the right ballpark..

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely. Must listen to more of his stuff. Also others in a similar vein perhaps - people like Ólafur Arnalds, Nils Frahm, Jóhann Jóhannsson etc. Great thanks.

Neo-impressionistic?

I'm just making things up, but that's what academics and critics do, right? 😉

Top Bottom