Trying to decide between Uvi Falcon 2 or MSoundFactory as my next synth platform.

josejherring

I like them both but to be honest I have so many synth and synth platforms that I'm only willing to learn one this year. Plus with HOOE and expanding my OT sample plus two new computers. This year is going to be expensive. Not to mention money allowing I'd like to finally get some Spitfire stuff either BBCSO or SSO.

But..... I really like UVI Falcon 2 and MSoundFactory. Both have very capable samplers. Melda's stuff is always more complicated and at 3 in the morning, I'm not looking forward to trying to remember what sub, sub,sub menu I need to access to route my modulators. But, I so love MpowerSynth and MSoundfactory has Mpowersynth osc plus everything else in that synth and way way more.

On the other hand UVI Falcon 2 is truly a musical instrument. Rob of this forum has it and he's secretly one of my favorites on the forum. So that's a big plus.

A few questions. I honestly think that UVI Falcon 2 has a bigger user base. Also, I think there will be more 3rd party support for sample libraries. But, will the sample format take off for UVI? I know that they have their own libraries, ect... Also, given the fact that fewer people know about MSoundFactory will this effect their library support. Will Melda start getting into more instruments like their piano or are they going to stick to mostly vst effects?

I think that now UVI has more to offer sound library wise, but should I be concerned about that? Melda Mpowersynth is sonically one of the best synths out there but admittedly that's all they've done instrument wise before MsoundFactory so there library and sound support is minimal so I'll need to be programming myself. Which takes time.

Tough call.

Macrawn

I can't help you with the choice sadly, but I was wondering what other synths you have that you like.

I do own the Falcon 2 and I love it. You got me looking at the Melda stuff which looks like a designer's paradise. What got me initially interested in the Falcon was the sort of sharpness to it. I've seen people call it clinical in sound. When someone says clinical it seems a little negative but I get the comparison. It is sharper and cleaner than most synths which by nature soften everything which I don't like. I didn't get to hear too much with the sounds on the Melda stuff but it does seem to have some of what attracted me to the Falcon 2 in terms of sound.

Falcon does have it's own preset packs, but I have to admit I'm disapponted with 3rd party support for it. I think I've only ever seen one thing that was independent of UVI and it sounded bad so I didn't buy it. The UVI preset packs are pretty good for the most part. Some are for music genres I'm not interested in. I hope that changes and there is more 3rd party stuff, but everyone just makes Omnisphere packs. Omnisphere sort of has a lock on that market because of the base. I think there is an unmet demand for it with the Falcon though. One can hope.

You got me thinking about the Melda synths and they are going on my want list. I should probably just buy omnisphere next, but after that there are like 10 synths I'd like to get, but at best I might buy one or two over the next couple years so I know how hard the choice is.

rrichard63

Perpetual Novice
When evaluating third party support, keep in mind that Falcon is a sampler/sample library player as well as a synth. There are a lot more third party sample libraries in UVI format than there are Falcon preset packs. I don't know anything about Melda's instruments and can't make that comparison.

Macrawn

When evaluating third party support, keep in mind that Falcon is a sampler/sample library player as well as a synth. There are a lot more third party sample libraries in UVI format than there are Falcon preset packs. I don't know anything about Melda's instruments and can't make that comparison.
Is there? I haven't see too much stuff out there in UVI format but I guess I wasn't looking for it. Stuff that I guess would work in the UVI workstation, will open up in Falcon and you can use Falcon on it, I usually don't do that because Falcon takes up more resources, but you can manipulate it with Falcon if that's something you want to do which is quite nice. I have Meteor for example, but Meteor has most of what I'd ever want to do with it built in, still it's like adding a bunch of Falcon presets on top of what you already have which is nice.

rrichard63

Perpetual Novice
Is there? I haven't see too much stuff out there in UVI format but I guess I wasn't looking for it.
Acousticsamples, VI Labs, Virharmonic and PSound have libraries in UVI Workstation + Falcon format. So does Gospel Musicians although their products have more recently been released in Kontakt and/or a proprietary format. I suspect there are other developers that I'm not familiar with. It's nothing remotely like the Kontakt ecosystem, but it is more than just UVI's own libraries.
Stuff that I guess would work in the UVI workstation, will open up in Falcon and you can use Falcon on it, I usually don't do that because Falcon takes up more resources, but you can manipulate it with Falcon if that's something you want to do which is quite nice. ...
Yes, exactly.

Macrawn

Acousticsamples, VI Labs, Virharmonic and PSound have libraries in UVI Workstation + Falcon format. So does Gospel Musicians although their products have more recently been released in Kontakt and/or a proprietary format. I suspect there are other developers that I'm not familiar with. It's nothing remotely like the Kontakt ecosystem, but it is more than just UVI's own libraries.

Yes, exactly.
Cool, but none of those companies had anything I'd be interested in. I'd say my disappointement with 3rd party support is pretty much the same, and that the only thing of interest I've seen are directly designed Falcon presets, of which only UVI seems to do, or at least do well to date.

kgdrum

Greetings to All
@josejherring

Are you a Mac or Windows user?
With Meldas developer high level of frustration with everything Apple I would be hesitant to put my 💰 & resources into anything Melda with all of the changes Apple’s planning.
I really don’t want this to be construed as a Apple vs Windows argument but Meldas strong dislike for Apple and the path 🍎 have chosen combined w/ the requirements they impose on developers is well known at this point.
So a @Jose if you are a Mac user my vote will be Falcon.

Last edited:
OP
josejherring

josejherring

I can't help you with the choice sadly, but I was wondering what other synths you have that you like.

I do own the Falcon 2 and I love it. You got me looking at the Melda stuff which looks like a designer's paradise. What got me initially interested in the Falcon was the sort of sharpness to it. I've seen people call it clinical in sound. When someone says clinical it seems a little negative but I get the comparison. It is sharper and cleaner than most synths which by nature soften everything which I don't like. I didn't get to hear too much with the sounds on the Melda stuff but it does seem to have some of what attracted me to the Falcon 2 in terms of sound.

Falcon does have it's own preset packs, but I have to admit I'm disapponted with 3rd party support for it. I think I've only ever seen one thing that was independent of UVI and it sounded bad so I didn't buy it. The UVI preset packs are pretty good for the most part. Some are for music genres I'm not interested in. I hope that changes and there is more 3rd party stuff, but everyone just makes Omnisphere packs. Omnisphere sort of has a lock on that market because of the base. I think there is an unmet demand for it with the Falcon though. One can hope.

You got me thinking about the Melda synths and they are going on my want list. I should probably just buy omnisphere next, but after that there are like 10 synths I'd like to get, but at best I might buy one or two over the next couple years so I know how hard the choice is.
I have a lot of synths. I was an early adopter of Reason and now it is also a vst plugin so all my Reason synths are now used in Cubase. My favorite Reason synrhs: Expanse, The Legend, Europa, Grain, Parsec and Antidote. Loved coplex-1. Sounds great but is limiting in a weird way.

For VSTi, I also have Zebra, Obsession, Mpowersynth, Reakror. Reaktor is of course also a host so i use Monark and Form in Reaktor. Plus 2 hardware synths and a 10 units of modular.

Except for Zebra I stay away from synths that everybody has. I noticed in listening to the Westworld competition. Everybody has the same stuff and 90% sounded same'ish. Then people complain that the one that didn't sound the same won. Jesus, what did people expect would happen?

So I have stayed away from Serum and Omni, but Omni is getting harder to resist.

OP
josejherring

josejherring

@josejherring

Are you a Mac or Windows user?
With Meldas developer high level of frustration with everything Apple I would be hesitant to put my 💰 & resources into anything Melda with all of the changes Apple’s planning.
I really don’t want this to be construed as a Apple vs Windows argument but Meldas strong dislike for Apple and the path 🍎 have chosen combined w/ the requirements they impose on developers is well known at this point.
So a @Jose if you are a Mac user my vote will be Falcon.
Pc user for sure. Though curious about the ARM Macs coming out soon. So between my love of PC's and my new intsrest in Macs, you could say I've become bi curious.

Macrawn

I have a lot of synths. I was an early adopter of Reason and now it is also a vst plugin so all my Reason synths are now used in Cubase. My favorite Reason synrhs: Expanse, The Legend, Europa, Grain, Parsec and Antidote. Loved coplex-1. Sounds great but is limiting in a weird way.

For VSTi, I also have Zebra, Obsession, Mpowersynth, Reakror. Reaktor is of course also a host so i use Monark and Form in Reaktor. Plus 2 hardware synths and a 10 units of modular.

Except for Zebra I stay away from synths that everybody has. I noticed in listening to the Westworld competition. Everybody has the same stuff and 90% sounded same'ish. Then people complain that the one that didn't sound the same won. Jesus, what did people expect would happen?

So I have stayed away from Serum and Omni, but Omni is getting harder to resist.
Thanks. I knew you were a fan of synths I was just cuirious about which ones you had already, and what appealed to you.

I agree with what you are saying about samey stuff. I also noticed that in the Westworld comp not only were the sounds the same, but people were following an old tired formula for the compositions. I can see how after listening to hundrends of those things that the ones that stand out are the ones that are good quality but have their own mojo and stand out as being a little different. The paint by numbers approach is surprisingly popular. I sort of equated it to everyone taking Evenant courses and composing all the same way, but add in that everyone is using the same libraries/ templates/methods, and it just makes the samey even worse.

doctoremmet

Music Addict
The MSoundFactory has me fascinated (have and love Falcon2). Are there any actual users / beta testers out there?Like you I love more exotic and deep synthesizers. Although I also have a lot of emulations and plain vanilla ones.

Couple of questions, slightly on topic. I’ll put them here since I suspect only true synthheads will find and read this thread, like I have.

1. What’s the deal with MPowerSynth? Will that still be a thing? Worth having a look at, or will it be abandonware as soon as MSoundFactory gets a proper release?

2. How does MPowerSynth sound? Any good examples out there? Forums? SoundCloud? YT?

3. Anyone use Biotek 2 by Tracktion? Not like I need another FM synth, but this one kind of intrigues me. Seems powerful but some of the Youtube demos only show “layers” with drum samples and pads and so on, layered in a patch. That Indian Native Dance / Wavestation loopy stuff was nice in the nineties but doesn’t get much love anymore over here. 4 OP FM with samples could be interesting albeit unpredictable though. Enlighten me...

4. Apparently the same developer is coding a new FM synth for Tracktion, funnily called: “F ‘em”. Kid you not. 11 oscillators, first and last ones are samples, 8 in between are sines / FM operators. One noise osc. Samples can be modulators and carriers as well I believe. Source: a small thread on KVR. Anyone know this one? Sounds a bit like a Yamaha FM-X engine in the box?

5. Any more cool new synths out there?

No intentions to hijack here, just want to add to the discussion. Falcon 2 is a great synthesizer, the oscillators and filters are great, and the envelopes are fast and snappy.

Dewdman42

My two cents, maybe melda’s synth sampler will become a “thing” but at this point I would consider it a new territory of exploration. Uvi definitely has decades of experience building samplers and synths and OEM sound engines in other products. There is most definitely a lot more third party content for falcon then melda, not to mention a wealth of experience.

melda is a crafty developer that does some interesting things sometimes, I own a couple things like his mcabinet plugin and a coupe others but I rarely use it because in reality I have better solutions. Melda tends to put out plugins with approximately one buzzillion parameters in each one for total sonic flexibility but I find that to be cumbersome and often leading to poor results. In my mind they tend to lack foresight to direct users to good results. Their paradigm is provide a gui to change every possible parameter you can think of. And hey some people may like that ability in which case he is very likely to have a Swiss Army knife plugin that will give that power with a very utilitarian kind of interface. But I usually find someone else has made a more crafted plugin that does what I went with only a dozen parameters to think about and is directing me towards good sound.

will be interesting to see what melda does with software instruments but honestly I thinkfor now falcon wins in spades