1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying out some Sound Design trailer music

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by AMas, Jun 4, 2017.

1. AMas

AMas Member

Nov 26, 2013
    It's the first time I post here my work and I would love some feedback on this sound design trailer cue.
    It's a genre I love but don't have a lot of experience producing, I already know the structure is not very typical and I probably need way more energy in the 3rd act.
    Any other comment would be much appreciated:

sazema likes this.
  2. sazema

sazema Senior Member

May 23, 2015
  3. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires Senior Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    Good stuff. Put it out there in one of these companies.
  4. musicalweather

musicalweather Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't have a lot of trailer music expertise, but I'll chime in, for what it's worth.

The audio production is very good; the sound design elements are very aggressive, very in-your-face. (Would love to know more about how to get that very pumped up sound. I have some sound libraries -- from Heavyocity and Hybrid Two -- but haven't managed yet to get that amped up sound).

It doesn't exactly follow an intro-build-climax-outro structure. And what I will suggest doesn't follow that either. What I was expecting at 0:34 was a slamming, climactic rhythm - where all the tension that is pent up in the intro is let loose in a head-banging, fast-paced section (i.e, one that uses 16ths, or 8ths). Alternately, you could keep it as is from 0:34 to 1:12 and come in with the heavy rhythm at 1:12. But in my opinion, it would work most effectively at 0:34.

Overall, I think this works very effectively at putting some fear into the audience - fear that some serious sh*t is about to go down. But it doesn't deliver the armgededdon that it has warned us about. Still, it's well done and might be marketable as is.
  5. OP

AMas Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Guys, thank you very much for all your feedback. Musicalweather, I totally agree with you.
    What I did in the end (I wrote this a few months ago) was to leave it as it is and propose it to a publisher that as a lot of my things already, not marketing it as a trailer cue (they don't really do trailers but mostly TV shows). BTW, they retitled it Sonic Violence...
    I could have changed it to make it feel more trailer-like in terms of structure but what I'm learning is that with this stuff, at my stage, is important to keep writing (quality AND quantity) and I wrote other tracks to avoid getting stuck with this for too long.
  6. will_m

will_m Senior Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I'd say your first couple of sections work nicely but the energy you have built up dissipates in the third section for trailer use. Sometimes editors only need the intro from one track and take the big finale from another but I'd say its best to always include a big final section.

Something kicking in around 1.10 would work a treat.