What's new

Trying my hand at EDM

Tice

So I went in a somewhat different direction from my usual orchestral cup of tea and made an EDM piece. I wonder what y'all think of it...?

Should I stick to what I know, or make more?

Its good. Like the section starting at 2:40 how that transitioned in.
The EDM crowd don't like slow starts and yours focused a good 42 seconds on the intro.
Bass is an important element in EDM and it wasn't quite pumping at the level I'd be looking for.
Some good stuff in there. I supposed if you enjoyed making it, then why not invest more time in it.

I echo ManicMiner's thoughts. I like a lot of elements in this piece. It's a factory of cool ideas. The overall mix is a quite flat, though, which doesn't suit EDM so well. I want to direct you to a pop composition of mine posted at:

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/emergency-feat-shayna-kevinbmelo.81319/

If you listen to your track compared to mine (both tracks happen to be about the same tempo) you'll hear the difference in the lows and highs. I would recommend remixing or mastering your track to bring some excitement to it.

Well done! :thumbsup:

I hear you on the mix. I find that mixing/mastering EDM is proving to be way harder than mixing and mastering an orchestra! Especially difficult is creating a raw sense of power in the bass and the lead synths that EDM is known for.
Polkasound, I LOVE the vocals on your track! I'm currently remodeling my studio to be more suited for recording vocals. Once done I hope to be able to add vocals like that to my music. In 'Go to the Moon' the voices are male, which means I'm working with a difference pitch range, and I do really miss some high.

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!

I hear you on the mix. I find that mixing/mastering EDM is proving to be way harder than mixing and mastering an orchestra! Especially difficult is creating a raw sense of power in the bass and the lead synths that EDM is known for.
Polkasound, I LOVE the vocals on your track! I'm currently remodeling my studio to be more suited for recording vocals. Once done I hope to be able to add vocals like that to my music. In 'Go to the Moon' the voices are male, which means I'm working with a difference pitch range, and I do really miss some high.
Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!
The fat kick and bass which are the king and queen of EDM music are perhaps the most important two elements mixing-wise. Get that right and you're halfway there already. Something that really helped me achieve a better thickness and overall sound was "New York Compression". Really beefed things up.
I bought Ozone 8 a while ago and that helped me out too.

Top Bottom