What's new

Trouble With Albion 1 and Velocities

Lim

So I'm having this problem where the "long" setting on my Spitfire Albion 1 instruments is only responding as one velocity. This happens when I play it on my keyboard (nord electro 4) or even when I manually insert midi notes and change the velocities. For every other setting however the sample instruments respond as expected to these changes.

I thought it might have been down to automation but I setup an empty project to check this and I'm having the same difficulty. I also opened random instruments on Kontakt and they all work fine, so it's just this one setting on the Albion One library which seems to be causing problems.

The DAW I'm using Reaper, has anybody an idea as to what might be causing this? Thank you if you're reading this!

This depends on the instrument: If it's a short articulation (e.g. Stacc) you should see volume be velocity dependent. The long articulations are dependent on CC1 and CC11 for volume.

Reactions: Lim
In that case is it failing to respond to CC1 (Dynamics)?

Possibly: load Kontakt and you should be able to see if CC1 is being received by noting if the mod-wheel moves on on the GUI when you move it on your keyboard.

Reactions: Lim
Wait a second... it is responding to CC1.... So, in that case, was your original point that the long settings don't actually respond to velocity? It's been a while since I've used any sort of virtual orchestration (years) but I'm still somewhat surprised that I've forgotten this :P

Wait a second... it is responding to CC1.... So, in that case, was your original point that the long settings don't actually respond to velocity? It's been a while since I've used any sort of virtual orchestration (years) but I'm still somewhat surprised that I've forgotten this :P

Correct - long articulations do not respond to velocity in Albion.

As a keyboard player, this is initially counter intuitive, but to do e.g. a crescendo, you simply cannot rely on velocity as the crescendo needs to be affected after the velocity midi event.

Hi, im fairly new to all of this and recently purchased albion 1, but for some reason velocity doesnt work at all. any idea how to change velocity? i know you can use the mod wheel but i tend to write notes in the piano role of logic pro x

Hi, im fairly new to all of this and recently purchased albion 1, but for some reason velocity doesnt work at all. any idea how to change velocity? i know you can use the mod wheel but i tend to write notes in the piano role of logic pro x
For short articulations like Staccato, Spiccato ... you need to change the velocity of the notes.
How this works in Logic is written here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH24535

For long articulations like Legato, Sustains ... you need to draw in a CC1 automation curve.
Most often also called "Dynamics, Modulation, ModWheel".
If you are not using a physical modwheel or faders to do this, you can draw something in:
In the piano roll toolbar is a button called "Midi Draw" this will open the curve window below the midi notes. In the dropdownbox select "Modulation" then draw a curve in with the pencil tool.
It is shown in here:
But you should use the "Modulation" curve not Volume as in the video.

Top Bottom