What's new

Trouble Deciding Between Logic and Cubase

banjo01

Hello, I have been using Logic for about 2 years now. However, for one of my classes recently, we were required to purchase Cubase Elements as our DAW. As I am getting more familiar with Cubase, there are a few features that I like from Cubase that I wish were in Logic, such as the automation editing, MIDI editing, and its cross platform ability. There are things I like about Logic as well, such as the ability to work in full screen, its lack of bulky licensing, its value and overall price, and - to a lesser extent - the UI. In addition, Logic Pro does have a sort-of intrinsic value as it was the first DAW that I saved up money to buy.

Many composers that I follow such as Hans Zimmer, Ashton Gleckman, Harry Gregson-Williams, and Samuel Kim Music use Cubase as their main DAW. While I understand that using a DAW just because someone well-known is using it isn't the best way to decide this predicament, I also want to gain an insight as to why they use this over maybe Logic.

While I do want to eventually settle down and get cracking on one DAW, I really wanted to use this platform mainly to hear other people's experiences with both Logic, Cubase, or even switching from one to another (whichever way it may be).

I really appreciate it.

Many composers that I follow such as Hans Zimmer, Ashton Gleckman, Harry Gregson-Williams, and Samuel Kim Music use Cubase as their main DAW. While I understand that using a DAW just because someone well-known is using it isn't the best way to decide this predicament, I also want to gain an insight as to why they use this over maybe Logic.
Because they like the workflow. Nothing more, nothing less. John Powell uses Logic. Why doesn’t he use Cubase? Same reason.

Check out Studio One. Then pick one based on your preference. Nothing more.

what he said. I own them all. I do keep coming back to LogicPro I have to say. But there are always a few things about every single other DAW that I will find myself wishing were in LogicPro.. and visa versa. There is no one perfect DAW. You will connect with one and get results better with one perhaps...then use that.

I’ve tried them all and currently use Logic, I tried to like Cubase and studio One but kept coming back to Logic. The only advantage I see to using a DAW other than logic is the cross platform ability! I personally think logic is the easiest of them all! I do like many of the features of Cubase and Studio One but cannot get my head around the interface they look too cluttered to me! Find one you like and get to work! It needs to fit your workflow and computer needs!

there are a few features that I like from Cubase that I wish were in Logic, such as the automation editing, MIDI editing
May I ask you what exactly it is that Cubase does better with MIDI and automation editing?

I tried to switch from Logic to Cubase some years ago, because I missed expression maps, freeze/unload tracks and some other stuff, but I kind of gave up. Maybe Cubase is a better DAW than Logic, but it's certainly not taylor made for people who want to try it out as a second DAW for a while, and maybe switch later. Several things that always have been easy in Logic took a number of steps in Cubase, and integration between Dorico and Cubase didn't exist when I bought and tried these apps back then.

Btw, there are already a number of threads about Cubase vs. Logic on this forum – maybe some of them could be interesting for you.

I’ve been using Cubase forever and I like it fine, but regarding using it on Mac, every piece of anecdotal evidence I‘ve read says Logic is much more efficient on Mac-meaning you’ll likely be able to use more and heavier plugins.

Hello, I have been using Logic for about 2 years now. However, for one of my classes recently, we were required to purchase Cubase Elements as our DAW. As I am getting more familiar with Cubase, there are a few features that I like from Cubase that I wish were in Logic, such as the automation editing, MIDI editing, and its cross platform ability. There are things I like about Logic as well, such as the ability to work in full screen, its lack of bulky licensing, its value and overall price, and - to a lesser extent - the UI. In addition, Logic Pro does have a sort-of intrinsic value as it was the first DAW that I saved up money to buy.

While I do want to eventually settle down and get cracking on one DAW, I really wanted to use this platform mainly to hear other people's experiences with both Logic, Cubase, or even switching from one to another (whichever way it may be).

I really appreciate it.
May I ask what country you live in? Historically, it seems in the USA it's always Logic, most likely because of free Apples in public in schools? Yes, Bill Gates has done his duty, but for whatever reasons my perception is that kids are still raised on Logic.

What do you mean "ability to work in full screen?"

Keep in mind this year Steinberg will be offering options to the dongle, and they have repeatedly said it's NOT subscription.

As far as famous names I absolutely agree. I think my first insight was the guys who did the auto-tune voice work 25 years ago for Chers Believe. The interview was a total farce. Since then if you network, and get to know people in the industry, so much of marketing and product placement is attached to big names because frankly...the big names can't charge as much as the pre-internet days. So it's become YouTube earnings, Waves Kramer etc, and lots of on-line classes.

IMO, workflow and productivity is most important.

You might find some good and striving-for non-biased opinions here:

Because they like the workflow. Nothing more, nothing less. John Powell uses Logic. Why doesn’t he use Cubase? Same reason.

Check out Studio One. Then pick one based on your preference. Nothing more.
Studio One was actually nice when I tried it and I should have also mentioned it as well. But I appreciate the post thank you very much.

May I ask you what exactly it is that Cubase does better with MIDI and automation editing?

I tried to switch from Logic to Cubase some years ago, because I missed expression maps, freeze/unload tracks and some other stuff, but I kind of gave up. Maybe Cubase is a better DAW than Logic, but it's certainly not taylor made for people who want to try it out as a second DAW for a while, and maybe switch later. Several things that always have been easy in Logic took a number of steps in Cubase, and integration between Dorico and Cubase didn't exist when I bought and tried these apps back then.

Btw, there are already a number of threads about Cubase vs. Logic on this forum – maybe some of them could be interesting for you.
Personally from my experience, drawing manual automation log curves in Cubase was a little easier. I appreciate your input and will keep it in consideration.

May I ask what country you live in? Historically, it seems in the USA it's always Logic, most likely because of free Apples in public in schools? Yes, Bill Gates has done his duty, but for whatever reasons my perception is that kids are still raised on Logic.

What do you mean "ability to work in full screen?"

Keep in mind this year Steinberg will be offering options to the dongle, and they have repeatedly said it's NOT subscription.

As far as famous names I absolutely agree. I think my first insight was the guys who did the auto-tune voice work 25 years ago for Chers Believe. The interview was a total farce. Since then if you network, and get to know people in the industry, so much of marketing and product placement is attached to big names because frankly...the big names can't charge as much as the pre-internet days. So it's become YouTube earnings, Waves Kramer etc, and lots of on-line classes.

IMO, workflow and productivity is most important.

You might find some good and striving-for non-biased opinions here:
I am from the US. However, I did purchase Logic on my own while my school teaches with Cubase.

As for the full screen, on the Mac, it seems as if Cubase cannot go into the Mac's real full screen mode. I am not sure if this is exclusive to Cubase Elements but this isn't an issue that would break my choice.

As for the dongle news, I appreciate it. I will take that part into consideration as well.

You mentioned subscription, and that is something that I do worry about with Logic Pro. Final Cut just underwent a trademark change in Europe where it enables Final Cut to be a SaaS, which paves the way for a subscription-based model if they decide to do it. Knowing Apple, I wouldn't put it past them if they apply this to Logic Pro as well. I should probably focus on the present and not on the speculated future, but it is something I keep in the back of my mind.

I am fine with Steinberg's current pay-to-upgrade model since I consider that their labor in working on the upgrades needs to be paid off somehow. In addition, they don't stop you from using previous versions if you don't plan on upgrading.

These are thing that are on my mind and I appreciate your response.

You just have to try them and find the one that fit your workflow. For me, before I do anything in Cubase, there’s 4 things that bug me that are in Logic but not in Cubase:
1) You can’t, like in Logic, upon launching the app, right-click the Dock icon and select a project so when the app launch, it starts with this project opened.
2) You can’t put Cubase in Fullscreen mode, Steinberg didn’t implement it yet after all these years. It’s important for me as I also have UAD Console opened at all times so putting Logic in Fullscreen mode, I can get to another desktop by just swiping with four fingers and I’m at Console. Swipe the other way and I’m back in Logic and I don’t have to move my head to another screen(which bring my third point).
3) Cubase isn’t well made for working with a single screen. They tried to improve this recently but the lower-zone mixer is a joke as you can’t see everything in one go. More clicking to see inserts and then sends and then back to faders. And you have to reach for the scroll bar to move around the mixer, you can’t just put the cursor anywhere in the lower zone and scroll horizontally with the trackpad. And it’s not like that scroll bar is easy to reach being only a few pixels thick.
4) Cubase doesn’t have the « link » feature on plugin windows so when you select another track the window updates with the VI on the newly selected track.

So, you see, you and some people might read this list and say that it’s no big deal because those are things they wouldn’t use anyway but for me, as I said, those are things that bug me even before I pressed the record button or opened an editor to work on something.

I switched from Logic to Cubase and I LOVE it. Just missing 3 things in Cubase. But hope, they will change this in the future. The workflow is amazing and I can be very fast. But this depends on your opinion and taste.

1) You can’t, like in Logic, upon launching the app, right-click the Dock icon and select a project so when the app launch, it starts with this project opened.
Thanks, I had no idea I could do this. Just tried it, love it!

I also like how I can "pinch zoom" with my track pad in Logic. Not sure about Cubase 11, but I can't do this in Cubase 10 (and prior).

I went back and forth. Now I am back to Logic.
Logic Express -> Logic Pro 7 ... Logic X -> Ableton Live -> Cubase -> Studio One -> Logic Pro X.

I love Sampler, the Drummer, Alchemy, the Keyswitches customization, and the performance of Logic on a Mac.
They add so many new features in every version and as a DAW it has exceptional value.

Although I like a lot the multi CC lanes of Cubase... but I guess they will implement that soon In Logic too to get rid of me sending the same feature request every day.

You just have to try them and find the one that fit your workflow. For me, before I do anything in Cubase, there’s 4 things that bug me that are in Logic but not in Cubase:
2) You can’t put Cubase in Fullscreen mode, Steinberg didn’t implement it yet after all these years. It’s important for me as I also have UAD Console opened at all times so putting Logic in Fullscreen mode, I can get to another desktop by just swiping with four fingers and I’m at Console. Swipe the other way and I’m back in Logic and I don’t have to move my head to another screen(which bring my third point).
3) Cubase isn’t well made for working with a single screen. They tried to improve this recently but the lower-zone mixer is a joke as you can’t see everything in one go. More clicking to see inserts and then sends and then back to faders. And you have to reach for the scroll bar to move around the mixer, you can’t just put the cursor anywhere in the lower zone and scroll horizontally with the trackpad. And it’s not like that scroll bar is easy to reach being only a few pixels thick.
4) Cubase doesn’t have the « link » feature on plugin windows so when you select another track the window updates with the VI on the newly selected track.

So, you see, you and some people might read this list and say that it’s no big deal because those are things they wouldn’t use anyway but for me, as I said, those are things that bug me even before I pressed the record button or opened an editor to work on something.
This is insightful thank you very much. The link feature is nice indeed.

Thanks, I had no idea I could do this. Just tried it, love it!

I also like how I can "pinch zoom" with my track pad in Logic. Not sure about Cubase 11, but I can't do this in Cubase 10 (and prior).
A lot of apple hardware integration is very nice and is also a factor in m decision.

I switched from Logic to Cubase and I LOVE it. Just missing 3 things in Cubase. But hope, they will change this in the future. The workflow is amazing and I can be very fast. But this depends on your opinion and taste.
What I may do after reading everyone's opinions (what I really should have done beforehand) is compose an entire song and see which one has the better workflow not only in terms of speed and fluidity, but also how it motivates me to create music.

My reasons to use Logic
- Screen sets. Any combination of interacting editors... i.e. an open score editor plus arrange window plus audio editor: I use this for recording acoustic instruments while reading notation from the screen. Or an open piano roll plus event list: selecting notes in the piano roll and easy edits of these selections in the list. And no open/close of windows while editing. I just have my needed editors open.
- The sampler. The integrated auto sampler makes it easy to resample stuff: stacks of multiple plugins, selected mic settings of libraries... nearly all my orchestral percussion, harps, bells, xylos, marimbas... everything percussive is a resampled "best of" selection of all my libraries. The sampler is so fast and needs around zero CPU and it's very easy to adjust envelopes etc.
- The score editor. Realtime notation. Easy to read without a lot of editing. Not like Cubase: record and then open the window. Editors in Logic show everything while recording.

Last edited:
Top Bottom