Trio for Flute, Clarinet in Bb & Cello

pkoi

I got commissioned this spring to write a short trio for my friends ensemble for their Autumn concert. Early this week we were able to get together to rehearse and record the piece.

The piece is mostly constructed on using a rotating set of contrasting thematic units. Of these, the most important ones are the chordal idea heard for the first time in the very beginning of the piece, and a rhythmic idea based on rapid repetition, first heard in measure 9. The aforementioned is always heard when something begins in the piece and the latter when something is resolved.

The performance was recorded in a local church. I used 2 Rode M5's as a stereo pair placed about 2 meters from the players. For close-up recording, I used AKG C1000S for the cello and SE X1R for the woodwinds. I used these mics because they are the ones I own. Ideally I would have had two microphones for the woodwinds, but I think the recording quality is okay like this as well.

I hope you like the piece!

Gerbil

I like it. Nice writing and a committed performance from your friends. A real 60s/70s modernist feel to it.

OP
P

pkoi

I like it. Nice writing and a committed performance from your friends. A real 60s/70s modernist feel to it.
Thank you! I'm also very pleased with their performance. I've worked with all of them in the past in multiple different occasions, and probably because of this, I find it very easy to communicate with them. The workflow of rehearsing this piece and recording it was surprisingly easy and fast (we had three 2h sessions of which the last one was used for recording the piece). In my experience, this is not always the case when dealing with complex music like this.