What's new

Transferring over to Kontakt 6

jimjazzuk

Hey guys,

Finally got full Kontakt in the sale.... in logic how do I change all my instances of Kontakt 5 player to Kontakt 6 without having to re-load all the instruments in my template?

Thanks!

I am confused, I have 5 and want to go to 6.

Is the upgrade from 5 to 6 like, say Play, where you continue with one programme, and all your instruments (8dio, Scarbee, CH etc) are transferred to the latest version and the old version is overwritten leaving you with only one sampler? Or with Kontakt do you install 6 and then 5 and 6 work side by side?

I am confused, I have 5 and want to go to 6.

Is the upgrade from 5 to 6 like, say Play, where you continue with one programme, and all your instruments (8dio, Scarbee, CH etc) are transferred to the latest version and the old version is overwritten leaving you with only one sampler? Or with Kontakt do you install 6 and then 5 and 6 work side by side?
You have both installed side by side (5 and 6). But libraries normally show up in both.

Just purchased the update to Komplete 12. I'm planning on continuing to run all my Kontakt 5 libraries using Kontakt 5, and only load and use Kontakt 6 for any new libraries that require 6. That's because all my current libraries run great in Kontakt 5 and there's always a chance that problems will arise with 6 (like this https://vi-control.net/community/threads/the-orchestra-in-kontakt-6-problem.82640/). Two questions:

1) After installing 6, will my current projects continue to open up using 5?

2) Will I need to back-up and then reinstall my Kontakt 5 Quickload file after installing 6? I seem recall an earlier thread that said installing 6 could mess up 5's Quickload. Is that the case, or is it just that Quickload is not copied over to 6 automatically and you have to do it yourself manually?

EDIT: I just installed Kontakt 6, and all is well. A project that used Kontakt 5 still opened up using Kontakt 5, and my Kontakt 5 Quickload menu seems to be just fine. Instances of Kontakt 6 have no Quickload menu right now, but that's no issue as I'll create one as needed.

Last edited:
Yes, that's a nice thing about AU plugin format, plugin migration.

Wrong. :P

It's decently simple in Reaper too - just do a simple text replacement in all your project files (since they are in a human-readable format!). Works on Windows as well as Mac, and with VST, instead of AU. ;)

Haha Ed! Good to know. But still it would be cool if all formats would allow this feature. At least from now on as NI skipped the number on Kontakt Plugin formats it should be relatively easy for any DAW to migrate to a higher Kontakt version in the future.

If VEPro doesn't load AUs then it won't work for it.
I use the UA version in VePro so I should be good.

I’ll try it later today

Edit: it works perfectly!
Immidiately exchanged my ‘old’ Afflatus with the new 1.2 and viola...job done....template updated

Last edited:
Just purchased the update to Komplete 12.
1) After installing 6, will my current projects continue to open up using 5?

RealToLogic,
Are you using Windows or Mac? I want to make sure Kontakt 6 will run along side Kontakt 5 when installed on a Mac.
-Fox

[EDIT] Never mind. Found confirmation from an Evil Dragon post somewhere that K6 installs "side by side" with K5 so that both are available. Great! Just what I was hoping.

... or is it just that Quickload is not copied over to 6 automatically and you have to do it yourself manually?

EDIT: I just installed Kontakt 6, and all is well. A project that used Kontakt 5 still opened up using Kontakt 5, and my Kontakt 5 Quickload menu seems to be just fine. Instances of Kontakt 6 have no Quickload menu right now, but that's no issue as I'll create one as needed.

At least in Win7 you can copy your quickload files from

C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\QuickLoad

to

C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Kontakt\QuickLoad

At least in Win7 you can copy your quickload files from

C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\QuickLoad

to

C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Kontakt\QuickLoad

Does anyone know how to port the K5 quickload to the K6 folder on mac? I have seen it somewhere but misplaced it before I did it xD

-DJ

Doesn't seem to be a Kontakt 6.0.x version available any more, which was still compatible with Mac OSX 10.11 (Kontakt 6.1 requires OSX 10.12 +) :(

Hi folks
I have just purchased Kontakt 6 (via a Komplete package). My workflow has to date used instrument tracks with some instances using Komplete Kontrol.
My question is - how does Komplete Kontrol know whether I want to load things using Kontakt 5 or the new Kontakt 6? Is this even an issue or am I imagining it is an issue?

Edit - on further investigation it seems to load the instrument patch with Kontakt 6 even though the project was saved previously when Kontakt 6 was just a twinkle in my eye.

Last edited:
As a logic user it’s so easy
Just open the logic plugin manager and deactivate Kontakt 5. all your logic projected will automatically load Kontakt 6 from then on!!!
Does anyone know if this is still possible with the latest version of Logic and going all the way from Kontakt 5 to 7? I am trying to migrate an old template using mainly Kontakt 5 to the latest version without saving and reloading each instrument manually.

Does anyone know if this is still possible with the latest version of Logic and going all the way from Kontakt 5 to 7? I am trying to migrate an old template using mainly Kontakt 5 to the latest version without saving and reloading each instrument manually.
Easily done but I finding it so hard to explain in words. Basically you just save each instance of Kontakt 5 as its own file. Remove kontakt 5 from your plugin folder. load your template. Now manually add Kontatk 7 to each track that you original had Kontakt 5, and then open the saved Kontakt 5 files in Kontakt 7.

Top Bottom