1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Touchscreen and Dedicated Computer

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by jononotbono, Feb 14, 2018.

1. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I'm just wondering about a few things regarding using Lemur and having a dedicated Computer to run it (and a 27inch Touch Screen). Is this possible? And if so, what do I need to be able to do this?

I am currently using a 27 inch touch screen plugged into my Mac Pro 5,1 and convinced my GFX cards are having a bit of a hard time running my monitors so I was wondering if having the Touch Screen and software running from a dedicated computer would be a beneficial move. I'm guessing it would have to connect some how over Ethernet but I'm not sure even how to run Lemur on a non tablet touch screen that plugs directly into a computer.

Thanks for any help.

Jono

MinorMajor7 likes this.
  2. stonzthro

stonzthro Senior Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Westwood, CA
    I've used an Android TV box in the past - took a few tries to get one that worked. I doubt the one I have is still available, but that's where I'd look if you want to use Lemur.

3. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Ok thanks. How does an Android TV box work and connect to make Lemur work then?

4. FriFlo

FriFlo Senior Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Yeah, you need android or iOS. Lemur won't do a windows 10 version, unfortunately. I can tell you, though, from all experiments with android I finally came back to the iPad (the 10.3 inch iPad Pro). It is not THAT expensive any more and the screen as a good size, finally. I haven't tried out the TV-box things, but those are cheap ones and I can tell you that my cheap Android tablet did not work as reliable (the connection with the Mac) as the iPad.
    Finally, iOS is the only way to use an iConnectMidi interface. You just hook your iPad to the interface via USB, it gets charged that way and you just have to set up the ports once. I NEVER had any problem with that setup, which is why I REALLY recommend this combo!

5. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I have a 27 inch Acer Touch Screen so I’m not sure how to use IOS with it as it’s only for iPads and IPhones.

Curious to learn how to utilise my touchscreen with Lemur but not use my iPads. Trying some new stuff out! :)

6. stonzthro

stonzthro Senior Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Westwood, CA
    The Android box was actually connected via ethernet, so I didn't have any connection problems. There was a latency noticeable on sliders; buttons were fine however. I've moved back to iPad due to its ease of use, but the touchscreen thing does work if you can get the correct box.

7. Gerhard Westphalen

Gerhard Westphalen Scoring Mixer

I ran Emulator Pro for my touchscreen for a number of years but switched to an iPad for ease of use and because Lemur looks a lot better IMO. Tried an Android TV box and it didn't work.

Unless you're trying to run 3x 4k or game on your computer or something like that, you shouldn't have any issues running large numbers of monitors for DAW use. I used to run 6 monitors off of 2 graphics cards which were less than $100 each. Also ran 3 monitors with 1 being 4k off of a <$100 card with no issues.

8. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Yeah I'm running 2 x 4k screens and 2 x 1080p so I have a feeling my GTX960 might be having trouble. It says it can handle 3 x 4k screens though but I literally have no faith in Nvidia web drivers for the Mac Pro 5,1. Perhaps it's Cubase with it's notorious GUI problems on Mac but since 9.5 things have been a lot better than before 9.5.

I'll have a look at Emulator Pro going back to running a Touchscreen on a seperate computer. Thanks

9. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Bit of an update to this tread in case anyone reads it at some point inquiring about touchscreens etc

I’m actually beta testing a Plugin called CPU and the plugin is designed to be dragged onto a Touch screen. I’m loving it so far and no longer looking into Lemur.

I have CPU running on a dedicated computer and all commands and firing off over a network and can control all computers on the network.

The performance of my Mac Pro and Cubase 9.5 (since moving the plugin onto a dedicated PC) has become amazing and now no longer is anything feeling sluggish. It’s the best thing I have done with my set up to be honest and the touch screen connected to a PC is so much better than being connected to OSX and using the UPDD Toucgh Base Driver I had to buy just to get the thing working.

KaBirdi and Jeremy Gillam like this.
  10. ThomasL

ThomasL Senior Member

Just started using a Dell 22" multi touch display with Studio One on my Mac and it's real nice!

jononotbono likes this.
  11. synthetic

synthetic Senior Member

Dec 15, 2005
    GC, CA
    Any info available on CPU? (Talk about the least-googlable name ever, they need to change that before release!)

12. Gerhard Westphalen

Gerhard Westphalen Scoring Mixer

I believe it's the one by 14bitMIDI developed by Karol Obara.

13. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

CPU is nearly ready to be released. Just testing it out and we came up with a few extra features that Karol has added which has delayed it's release a little bit. Worth it though.

Here's a screen shot of a Midi Editing page I have been creating over the last few days (work in progress)...

CPU Midi Editing Page 1.PNG

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    synthetic and milesito like this.