What's new

TouchOSC, Cubase, and Windows 10 Setup Issues

stevebarden

I'm having a heck of a time getting my iPad to talk to Cubase using TouchOSC. With the TouchOSC Bridge I am able to send simple keyboard data (e.g. SPACEBAR). But Midi CC messages are ignored.

I've setup loopMIDI to create virtual midi ports. These ports show up in Cubase but I can't figure out how TouchOSC is supposed to communicate with loopMIDI in the first place!

I've seen various YouTube videos with some helpful info, but most of it is geared for uses on a Mac, not Windows.

Any help would be appreciated.

Using TouchOSC or Lemur via USB and their Bridge/Daemon utilities in Windows is a nightmare (no problems in Mac OS X).
I recommend iOS studiomux or its cheep version (MIDI only) midimux. You run that app in the iPad and all MIDI apps in the iPad will be connected via the USB cable to Cubase (All Inputs) or to the specific studiomux/midimux input.

The CC and all other MIDI data transfer is rock.

Last edited:
Using TouchOSC or Lemur via USB and their Bridge/Daemon utilities in Windows is a nightmare (no problems in Mac OS X).
I recommend iOS studiomux or its cheep version (MIDI only) midimux. You run that app in the iPad and all MIDI apps in the iPad will be connected via the USB cable to Cubase (All Inputs) or to the specific studiomux/midimux input.

Thanks for the suggestion. After a quick test I'm still running into issues, but it may have something to do with my system in general. I will have more time this weekend to research a solution.

Did you try the midimux in your quick test?
Yes, I setup Midimux but still see no CC data coming in. Not sure if it needs to be routed thru loopMidi or some other midi host. So far nothing I've tried is working. I'm also unclear on setting up the correct ports in midimux. Instructions are almost non-existent.

Last edited:

So I made some progress. I did find the Studiomux user manual. It described setting up for TouchOSC. The Studiomux server running on the DAW machine installs a VST. I can load that up in a Cubase Instrument track, but it sees no connected devices.

On the iPad, the Midimux app has two sections, the Midi page where I create a local port, and the OSC page where I specify in and out ports. The TouchOSC app, under the CoreMidi settings, sees this local port I created. Back on the Midimux app, the OSC page asks for "app port in" and "target port in". I created the ports as 8000 and 9000, respectively, per the Studiomux instructions, and those match the ports that TouchOSC creates by default. However, the status still shows "!" and no remote port appears.

At this point I'm wondering if there is perhaps a firewall issue between the iPad and the PC. Are these the correct port values? Why doesn't Midimux recognize the TouchOSC app?

Top Bottom