What's new

Touche SE controller for orchestral samples libraries?

harmaes

Har Maes
Anyone using Expressive E Touché SE as a controller for orchestral sample libraries? Strings, brass, woodwinds etc? How’s the setup in Kontakt, Omnisphere etc and does the Touché add more control of the libraries?

Maybe also in comparison to the TEC breath controller?

Thanks.

Seems like a pretty new device. I've just seen one demo from the developer and something from Junkie XL. However he was not using it with orchestral instruments. However he was showing something that could be intriguing.

Very interesting device, but I don't know it obviously. Could this be the answer to the wish for a stand-alone pitch wheel/mod wheel replacement that you sometimes read?

I also find the Touché a very interesting device. I’m not sure however if I like the way you have to use their plugin / host software and the way to setup in Kontakt etc. Midi learn should be quick in Kontakt so would rather have 10 midi cc presets stored in the device then using their Lié software.

If you want to use MIDI CC automation (as opposed to host automation) you do not have to use Lié. I never use host automation für orchestral stuff, so I use the 24 Presets on the Touché to have different MIDI CC combinations for different VIs set up and I only start Lié when I want to change those Presets.

I like Lié as a software and I think their speedmapping is quite good. But the instruments I use are mainly made by some of the larger orchestral sampling companies, like Spitfire, Orchestral Tools* or ProjectSAM. All these tend to have default CC for most things, so it is actually much easier and faster to set the Touché to send those MIDI CCs as opposed to assigning host automation in Lié and then having to save tons of software Presets there.

With synths, I prefer host automation in Lié, but I do not use synths very frequently.

The other main reason why I do not use Lié is that I want to maintain compatibility with other people that do not have a Touché. My project would then not load on their systems.

I actually did a video about the Touché and Touché SE after talking to Expressive E a while ago and absolutely loving the concept:

*whom I work for, though that is besides the point here

I have the Touché SE and loving it a lot and it changed my way of playing a lot. For my orchestral libraries I have just bound some of the most used controls (cc1, vibrato, cc11) to it and not using it with the Lié software.
For me it adds a lot more expressive playing when I use cc1 for example with the Touché instead of with the modwheel.

For my soft synths I use it for all kinds of stuff.

Thanks for your replies and sharing your experiences and knowledge. Good to read this. I will consider buying the Touche!

Thanks for your replies and sharing your experiences and knowledge. Good to read this. I will consider buying the Touche!

I doubted in the beginning a lot, but bought it from a shop here that allows returning it as it is not cheap.
I was looking already for a while for a good alternative for the modwheel and tried various controllers, but with this one I had an instant connection. It is of course very subjective and if you consider buying it, maybe check it out at a local store if possible or buy it somewhere where you have the option to return it. But personally I highly recommend it and if you get one, keep us posted and nice that you started this topic as there is not much talk about it yet.

I like my Touche and use it a lot. One thing to be aware of is that the controller springs back to centre which can be an issue depending on how you use expression. It works great to provide a combination of expression and vibrato. Moving side to side to add vibrato just feels very natural.

I do use Lie for the most part. Lie's speed mapping tools are great. The Arche instruments that Expressivee also sells are neat modeled instruments that make great use of Touche. With them you can use Touche to simulate bowing (made me realize how bad I am at knowing when to switch bow directions). It also works great to play at different bowing speeds. Give it a good tap in time with your playing to get some nice spicatto. Classy device.

I doubted in the beginning a lot, but bought it from a shop here that allows returning it as it is not cheap.
I was looking already for a while for a good alternative for the modwheel and tried various controllers, but with this one I had an instant connection. It is of course very subjective and if you consider buying it, maybe check it out at a local store if possible or buy it somewhere where you have the option to return it. But personally I highly recommend it and if you get one, keep us posted and nice that you started this topic as there is not much talk about it yet.

I can order online with the ability to return. I'm interested in the SE version which doesn't have presets only one fixed set of CC values. In Kontakt and other instruments it's easy to map or midi learn these so that's not a problem. I'm currently controlling mostly 2 CC values with modwheel and an expression pedal. Having multiple to for instance control velocity, expression and vibrato of spitfire libraries could be interesting.
I'm also using TouchOSC with custom layouts I created to control different parameters together.

Does Touche always reset the value of the 4 areas When moving left for instance does it start at 1 and fully left is 127? And if left is released back to center will the value drop to 0? For instance to control vibrato on off.

Last edited:
Does Touche always reset the value of the 4 areas When moving left for instance does it start at 1 and fully left is 127? And if left is released back to center will the value drop to 0? For instance to control vibrato on off.

Yes, it does. When you move left, the CC/control assigned to "left" will be 0 at centre, 127 full left. Same with right, top and down. Top and down can be used at the same time together with either left or right.

There's a nice feature to freeze the current values: When you press the encoder, it freezes everything at where it is currently, so you can let go of the touch plate.

I just got a new Touche Expressive E SE. First day, and I'm already hopelessly confused.

I was hoping to use it to control expression on EastWest QLSO and Hollywood Orchestra, but I can't figure out CC mapping. Has anyone got it working on something other than synth sounds?

I just got a new Touche Expressive E SE. First day, and I'm already hopelessly confused.

I was hoping to use it to control expression on EastWest QLSO and Hollywood Orchestra, but I can't figure out CC mapping. Has anyone got it working on something other than synth sounds?
I had to email them about this. Currently Touche SE doesn't allow you to re-assign the CC's it sends via USB. You need to use the plugin to host each instrument and set up mapping per instrument inside of it.

Damn. Not the answer I was hoping for. I may just return it then :(
You can choose up to 4 different CC in the Lie app, save in the internal memory and then use the Touche SE as standalone. It has some learning curve though

You can choose up to 4 different CC in the Lie app, save in the internal memory and then use the Touche SE as standalone. It has some learning curve though

How? All I could see listed as assignable parameters were a bunch of waveform and filter controls . I couldn’t see a way to assign CCs

Top Bottom