What's new

Top 7 Streaming Services (2020) - Their Payouts - Why Aren't We All Using Napster?

patrick76

I ran across this article that breaks down the pay rates per stream from the major streaming services and also shows their respective user base numbers. I was shocked to find that Napster pays almost 3 times what spotify pays per stream.

Thoughts?

Polkasound

Spotify and YouTube are quite simply the Wal-Marts of streaming services. If you want to make your products as available to as many consumers as possible, you have to get them into Wal-Mart stores. But Wal-Mart holds all the power, so you'll pretty much need to sell your soul.

Napster, on the other hand, is more like Smallville General Store. You won't sell many items, but you'll make a higher profit per sale.

OP
patrick76

patrick76

Perfect analogy (walmart). It would be really nice if this information was known by everyone and people started supporting companies like Napster or even Apple Music over Spotify and Youtube. That’s a really significant difference in income for the artists. Curious why I didn’t really know this before... perhaps I live under a rock :)

Last edited:

Polkasound

It would be nice, but in the real world, hardly anyone chooses stores based on principle. They choose based on price and convenience. Stores like Wal-Mart and Amazon could do heinous things to their merchants and employees, and it would generate smatterings of bad publicity, boycotts, and petitions, but at the end of the day, those stores wouldn't feel any losses.

It's the same with Spotify. Everyone subscribes to Spotify, and they likely will continue subscribing to Spotify no matter what. If Spotify started paying artists even less than they do now, there would be smatterings of bad publicity, boycotts, and petitions, but at the end of the day, Spotify would not feel any losses.

In 2014, Taylor Swift blasted Spotify and other streaming services for robbing artists, and removed her entire catalog. Her influence led to some changes and she eventually returned to Spotify, but she was alone in her crusade. It would take a whole legion of Taylor Swifts leaving Spotify in order for anything to change. This is unlikely to happen, though, because how many top 1% of artists making tens of thousands of dollars from Spotify would be willing to sacrifice all that income in support of the 99% of indie artists making a few bucks?

Even if a grass roots movement took hold and thousands of indie artists deleted their content from Spotify and YouTube, it wouldn't change a thing because subscribers to those services will want to remain where the top 1% of artists are.

reborn579

there is actually a movement to pressure spotify into paying more to indie artists. they held a coordinated protest in front of spotify's offices a few months ago. but unfortunately, apart from a weak declaration of "transparency", nothing else happened.

i must say that what i find most surprising about this is that while employees of spotify like to frame themselves as these great cosmic social justice warriors, they are so silent about the fact that they work for a money hungry corporation.

soundcloud has recently announced a much fairer payment system:

unfortunately, like polkasound said, you simply cannot NOT have your music on spotify or youtube. they have the biggest reach. if it were up to me we would all be on bandcamp exclusively. :)

Top Bottom