What's new

Top 5 plugin companies for fx

X-Bassist

After collecting hundreds (thousands?) of plugins from over 100 companies over the last 2 decades, I thought I would look back and see what companies would I buy from if I could do it over? What plugins do I actually use the most over a long period of time, making them much more valuable to me than the rest put together?

Surprisingly, most of them came down to 4 or 5 companies, so I thought I would share and see what other old timers have found out... so please share your experience...

1) Fabfilter - Top of the tops, I always use them for uncolored compression (C2), limiting (L2), amazing 24 band dynamic EQ (EQ3), de-essing (DS), gating (Pro-G), and Delay (Timeless 2), even the reverb is useful. For clean, invisible processing, they are my go to daily for almost anything. Add their owners discounts that get me their latest plugins for $40 or less, and I'm loving these guys.

2) Kush Audio - for warm colored sound, Novotron (compression), Goldplate (plate reverb), and Clariphonic (high harmonics) are amazing for lovely color or clarity where there was none. I use Novotron on most things musical, and Clariphonic on anything needed clarity, including dialog. They also have good 50% off sales that get me looking.

3) Sound Toys - Sound Toys 5 has a lot of the classic tape sounding delays, echoes, filtering that warms up the sound and gives you that analog feel. Not sure how they did this, but the presets are great. I've mixed many films just scrolling through presets and finding the right fit. Echoboy, Microshift, Tremolator, Panman, and Crystalizer have all given me some great fx I haven't heard elsewhere. I bought a few plugins at first, then they had a sale that gave me the ST5 bundle for $50! Great deals on upgrades.

4) Denise Audio - I started with sweeper, then got God mode, Slappy, Perfect room... very inexpensive and very creative, always a new twist on the classic fx. As they grow they keep improving the plugins, window resizing, eq control of the effect, more presets. They have the right combination of interesting sounds that can't be found elsewhere, and cheap prices that become cheaper at intro price, with subscriber discount (subscribe!) gets most plugins down to $30... the latest was $11 for me. Lunch or a new plugin? Incredible.

5) Izotope - I can't work in film mixing without them atm. Cleaning out noise, hum, reverb, mistakes, breathing, clicks, pops, crunching, dry mouth, random noises, even creating clean room fill... RX8 Advanced does eveything I need to clean tracks that use to be guides for ADR (RX Standard is also great with most of the tools you need). I think it's been almost 5 years since I've recorded ADR for a film, they always want production cleaned up. Ozone has also been great for mastering music or adjusting a lead vocal level in a mix, Trash 2 has been a decent distortion tool (with wonderful presets), and insight 2 has been good for metering it all. The few things they do well, they do very well. And their 50% off sales are a nice time to buy in.

These are the 5 I use the most. Most of the others I rarely touch, except reverbs, what I need layers of (like strings). Lexicon reverb bundle, Polyverse Comit, Zynaptiq Adaptiverb, Izotope Neoverb, Eventide SP2016, Relab LX480, Fabfilter Pro- R are all decent reverbs, but I do wish someone could come out with on that has the warmth and life that my hardware reverbs have (Lexicon 480L and 300). Someday. :)

I've always failed to understand the love towards FF plugs.
Well. ProQ3 is the fastest and easiest to use EQ to date ever. Is it the best sounding in all situations? Probably not. Does that outweigh the ease of use? Not for a lot of people. Same with ProL2.

As a professional UX designer/researcher, I can say the EQ design is sublime.

The rest of the Fabfilter plugins are more hit or miss, but many others are also excellent. I’m disappointed in the usability of Timeless3. Saturn 2 has some great things and less great things about the UX.

Very cool to see this acknowledged. Because yes @denise.Audio has quickly become one of the top tier developers for me as well!
Yep ! Looong period of building toolbox and tons of stuff gathering dust.
Plugin Alliance content is large ( 26 _ bx, 10 _ Unfiltered Audio, 10 Misc. ).
Waves, Melda, all Soundtoys 'Little', NI _ K12U, xxxxx.
PA FX often covers daily home studio needs.
Tough to go with Pro /Commercial Studio alternatives. 😳
Choices like Current SSL Native S-EQ 2 @ $40. are welcome options.

Last edited:
Well. ProQ3 is the fastest and easiest to use EQ to date ever. Is it the best sounding in all situations? Probably not. Does that outweigh the ease of use? Not for a lot of people. Same with ProL2.

As a professional UX designer/researcher, I can say the EQ design is sublime.

The rest of the Fabfilter plugins are more hit or miss, but many others are also excellent. I’m disappointed in the usability of Timeless3. Saturn 2 has some great things and less great things about the UX.
Or marking😉

Curious choices for sure. I've only just in the past year started to increase my Plugins.

I like PA a lot. I'm surprised when I see criticisms of it because they have great stuff. Has elevated my mixes to Broadcast ready with just one purchase. The SPL stuff and the Shadow Hills emulations are great. And, I've only just scratched the surface of my subscription.

Izotope. Love hate. I've been using Ozone since version 3 I think. In a lot of ways I preferred the older versions as the newer versions are so complicated I end up just dialing up the presents and hoping for the best.

Reason. Don't laugh. They have some creative FX though I've tried to move away from can't find anything really to replace them. The delay is the best I've used. Sweeper has flanging, Phasing and filtering with lfo, envelopes, ect. It's a beast. Synchronus is an amazing automating multi effect. The list goes on and on.

Recently I've gotten into FabFilter. Late to the game really because the prices always struck me as too high for what you're getting. But, I like the EQ a lot and recently trying the reverb. At that price point though it's too much for what you are getting. I have tons of great reverbs that cost a fraction of that. I really like the EQ on it but nothing that can't be replace with an EQ after the reverb on the chain. So while I like it, can't get into it too much.

Melda Production. Hands down the best sounding but ugliest looking stuff on the market.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're implying.
Damn, it's autocorrection on my phone.
I meant marketing.
And I implied that FF sound bad and not convenient to the level where you sacrifice sound quality. For example, Equilibrium is much superior to FFs EQ and also very convenient(when you set its GUI as you like), and it also has much more options.
The big difference between these two is marketing - DMG never did any crazy things in this regard, while FF were showing up everywhere, fork every possible hole in the web.

Damn, it's autocorrection on my phone.
I meant marketing.
And I implied that FF sound bad and not convenient to the level where you sacrifice sound quality. For example, Equilibrium is much superior to FFs EQ and also very convenient(when you set its GUI as you like), and it also has much more options.
The big difference between these two is marketing - DMG never did any crazy things in this regard, while FF were showing up everywhere, fork every possible hole in the web.
Ah. I didn't like Equilibrium so didn't buy it - much, much prefer to use ProQ3. Superior to me, as Equilibrium is superior to you. Fabfilter is mostly word of mouth except when they release something new. Or I'm blind to marketing, which might be the case.

I'm largely down to just using 2 EQs at this point: ProQ3 and Slick EQ M. I have a dozen others that never get used (I'll still hold onto E27)... I think it might be time to sell things, even though I hate to part ways with plugins as a collector. :grin:

Ah. I didn't like Equilibrium so didn't buy it - much, much prefer to use ProQ3. Superior to me, as Equilibrium is superior to you.

Fabfilter is mostly word of mouth except when they release something new. Or I'm blind to marketing, which might be the case.
Well, that's surprising to hear. I've never met anyone who, when tried both, preferred FF version.

Well, that's surprising to hear. I've never met anyone who, when tried both, preferred FF version.
Again, I'm a full-time UXer, not mixer. Many plugins are considered "great" by others that I simply cannot stand to use as they're ugly and/or not worth the effort when there's something easier to use. Same with DAWs. More and more, I'm wanting simplicity with quality, which ProQ3 delivers in huge amounts.

Top Bottom