What's new

Top 10 Things to Know Before Launching into Eurorack

Thorsten Meyer

Top 10 Things to Know Before Launching into Eurorack
https://www.strongmocha.com/2019/07/01/top-10-of-things-to-know-before-launching-into-eurorack/

EuroRackLove980x400-Version-2.jpg

As a bit of a preface, this series will focus on the Eurorack modular format; there are other formats that use patch-points. Eurorack is currently the most popular, by far. I’ll be using “Eurorack” and “modular” somewhat interchangeably, except where I specify that something is exclusively true for the Eurorack format, such as voltage specifications or physical measurements. You can assume that any module I mention in detail in this series is built according to (or compatible with) the Eurorack standard unless otherwise stated. Synthesizers like Jupiter 8, Minimoog, Minilogue, Prophet Rev2, Oberheim OB-6, that cannot have any parts replaced with a different part.

x5feRO90Y-zupsO9pYUqrTwZDGOnNCNkYIgRLcIGBQvh6k3MnV8SCLzf9LS4kk_X_NC9CdY5XbKmhLEVABidG-t-MpkpI3t4hT7biZRAC9ijapvPbSMyE02Q_cjQzTCYWvBeGn4

If you make electronic music, you’ve likely stumbled across modular synthesizers. You’ve no doubt seen videos of blinking lights and rectangular panels connected by masses of cables, sometimes being deftly manipulated by hands reaching from off-screen, other times generating music without any human intervention at all. If you’ve felt a sense of wonder when watching these machines bleep and bloop, then you’ve tapped into the heart of the modular community. A constant sense of wonder, surprise, and discovery. Filling a rack with modules can be a deeply personal journey toward discovering your unique sound and style. Modular requires a lot of knowledge up-front and can seem overwhelming to a beginner.

Resources & Goals
There are many great videos and articles about how to jump into modular. I encourage you to seek out and enjoy. My goal for this series is to consolidate some of that knowledge. Alongside some context for what makes modular special beyond the mere sum of its parts. I don’t want everyone who reads this to feel like they need to get into modular in order to create a certain type of sound or music. Rather I hope that you’ll know by the end whether you want to get into modular. I want to enable you to start your Eurorack journey.

Let’s begin with some strengths of modular, and follow up with areas where a hardware synth might be more appropriate.

Top 10 of Things to Know
  1. Combining the best of Worlds
  2. Extended Choices new Synth Combinations
  3. Strong Routing Options
  4. Expressive and Colourful
  5. Synthesizes in an Amazing Way
  6. Modular is Expensive
  7. Modular outgrows your Eurorack Case
  8. Difficult to carry with you
  9. No Replacement for your Favorite Tool
  10. Not Polyphonic

Read the Full Article on StrongMocha:

Top 10 of Things to Know Before Launching into Eurorack
https://www.strongmocha.com/2019/07/01/top-10-of-things-to-know-before-launching-into-eurorack/

Last edited:
Top Bottom