1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 10 Cubase Features New to a Logic X Composer

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by Breitenbach, Aug 2, 2018.

1. S.M Hassani

S.M Hassani Senior Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Best of all: if Apple allocates user defined -collapsible- toolbars over the main editors. Something like the current main window toolbar, but completely user customizable. So we could pick our own commands and build our own Macros, then assign our choice of icons and keyboard shortcuts. That would be awesome!

2. jonathanwright

jonathanwright Senior Member

Jul 7, 2011
    London
    I'm intrigued by this, I've just tried to drag an instrument onto a bus in the mixer, or a bus track, and it isn't coloured or routed, is there a knack to it?

3. InLight-Tone

InLight-Tone Senior Member

Dec 31, 2013
    I discovered it by accident. I'll try to explain it. I first created a bunch of folder tracks that I wanted to sub-mix like Strings, Brass, Synths whatever, I've got 15 of them. Give them all your preferred colors.

In Options/Advanced/Editing tab check "Apply Folder Track Color to Content".

I then created a bus track for each of these folder tracks and gave them the corresponding colors to match the folder tracks.

Going back to the folder tracks you can then choose the channel in the drop down in the inspector to correspond to the folder so Strings folder goes to channel STRINGS bus. After that the folder track turns into a bus track which you can see in the console.

In the Console I also have the "Link show/hide of Track list and Console" checked under the wrench icon so that if the folders are hidden they are also hidden in the console. I may not be using Electric Pianos and Organs bus for my Epic track.

So like I said, I start with all of the folder/buses hidden and using your preset method just start dragging in whatever I need to get the track rolling. The tracks come in with their generic color and I just keep on dragging in and writing till my main idea takes shape. At that point I will Unhide the folder/buses I need for that piece and drag the corresponding tracks onto them in the arrange window and boom, they are colored the folder color and routed through that corresponding sub-mix bus. I also have 8 sends with 4 reverbs, 3 delays and a group filter send ready to go which you can route your sub mixes through if desired.

Once you have a main template setup in advance like this, it's pretty quick composing without all the fuss of Vep, Visibility agents, etc., and I kind of like the blank slate to start with. Hope this made sense!

4. jonathanwright

jonathanwright Senior Member

Jul 7, 2011
    London
    Thanks InLight-Tone, works great!

InLight-Tone likes this.
  5. greggybud

greggybud Senior Member

Oct 12, 2016
    Between the:
    1. Cubase factory and customization key commands,
    2. the Macros, (chaining seperate key commands together to form a master key command)
    3.Logical Editor and Project Logical editor,

there honestly IMO is not much midi editing ground left.

In the Logical Editor alone there are several dozen factory Midi commands, some you may find useful, others you think it's crazy that they are included. Just delete what you don't think will be helpful if the list is too long. There have been very few occasions where I wanted to achieve something and I couldn't do with the LE. It's not always easy and I'm still a novice with the LE, but just spend time and I think most users catch on pretty fast.

For composers who are into midi editing, I also strongly suggest the $14 Metagrid iOS application that takes Cubase key commands, cubase macros, and the Logical Editor to the next step...more convenient and faster workflow.

Attached is an additional LE 210 midi commands compliments of Jono. Use what you wish, delete the others.

Cubase key commands is not utopia. In Cubase, you need to learn which KC's apply to which windows, and which ones apply to all windows. While smaller single screen users won't have a problem, the issue is FOCUS for users of large or wide screens where multiple windows will be displayed at the same time which means more mouse clicking...until Steinberg addresses the focus problem.

Attached Files:

shawnsingh likes this.
  6. shawnsingh

shawnsingh Active Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Very insightful about the focus problem. I hadn't thought about that since I'm only in one screen.

advanced yes, but here's a few examples of editing tasks I wish for...
    • A "real time step recording mode" where I record what I want and input a beat at the same time, and the DAW would be intelligent enough to warp the recording to fit the current tempo. Maybe it can be done with logical editor but I think it's complicated enough and could have options to have a separate feature. It would save a ton of time fixing bad quantizations and bad notes if I was able to record takes at a tempo that slowed down on difficult parts or let's me pause to think about the exact next chord, etc.
    • Ability to edit CC's and note velocities of many instruments simultaneously, controller lanes in Cubase don't do this

7. greggybud

greggybud Senior Member

Oct 12, 2016
    You are right of course! I said that when thinking of only the note manipulations of the key editor...what is included in Jonos presets. And that is just a small area of the LE,PLE.

It's always amusing to see occasional "new features" released in Cubase that are actually created, and sometimes have existed in the Logical Editor.

While greatly enhancing workflow, having multiple displays or large displays IMO adds to the list of the things that need improving. Specifically...focus, since currently the only focus methods I know of is KC's for opening/closing the 3 mix consoles which then give automatic focus, bring project page to front, plus the Windows KC ctr+tab that will cycle through all your open windows. Well...not all...but that's another story.

shawnsingh likes this.