1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toontrack Superior Drummer 3 Announced

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by catsass, Aug 15, 2017.

1. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
  2. Soundhound

Soundhound Senior Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Anyone know if it's okay to locate SD3 sounds/midi etc. in a totally separate location (separate ssd) from EZ2/SD2 sounds/midi? I have all that stuff in one folder (in their own subfolders etc of course)

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Yeah, you can install it on a completely different drive.

Soundhound likes this.
  4. rrichard63

rrichard63 Perpetual Novice

Nov 17, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thanks. Does the number of instruments shown vary to match the number in the kit that is loaded?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 3:50 PM
  5. jtnyc

jtnyc Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013

Really, wow I wish I felt the same. I must be missing something Evil. Toontrack just confirmed to me that you can't assign blank keys in SD3. This is a major bummer for me. Also, when I try and use a map that I made in SD2 it loads default sounds in all of the blank unassigned keys of that map making it a total mess. I don't use edrums or midi files at all. I re map all of the kits so that all of the kit piece articulations sit together on keyboard controller. This way when I program a high hat part all 10 or 12 HH articulations are sitting together. Same with snare, toms etc... I like to separate the groups with a few empty non assigned keys. It was so so easy to do this in SD2. From what Toontrack is telling me, not so much in 3. There are a couple of work arounds they suggested and I will work it out, but it looks to be a longer more convoluted process to accomplish what I need... Toontrack told me I could just load up an SD2 midi map preset and presto, I'd be on my way. Not the case...

They also confirmed that if you own EZX's but don't Own EZDrummer, you can't move EZX's from their default location on your system drive to a different drive. It won't allow you to redirect the path. So this has me a bit messed up. I already have 3 EZX's on my samples drive that SD3 sees under Superior kits (those ez's are listed as not installed in the product manager because they are not on my system drive) the other 2 that i just reinstalled (Electronic and Twisted) were installed on my system drive (the installer would not allow me to redirect it to my sample drive). Those 2 are listed in SD3 under EZ libraries and are listed as installed in the product manager. That all makes sense, but why can't I move those 2 to my samples drive and reset the path?

Other than those 2 issues, SD3 is awesome! I just feel like I can't really settle in and start programming until I get all this mapping stuff sorted -(

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 12:13 AM
    jamwerks likes this.
  6. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Naturally. This is Progressive EZX on the screenshot.

7. mc_deli

mc_deli Senior Member

Feb 22, 2015
  8. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Err, yeah, those will need a bit of tweaking, but it's possible!

After you select a kitpiece, go to MIDI Mapping property pane, and in there you can see all the articulations for that kitpiece. There's a left arrow on some of them, which means they have aliased assignments (duplicates). Just right-click on the MIDI note number/note name depending on your setting, and remove assignment. There you go with your empty key. Rinse&repeat for all aliases you don't need across all kitpieces.

Perhaps, clear ALL assignments this way, then save that as a preset, then try loading your mapping presets from S2.0?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 4:11 PM
  9. rrichard63

rrichard63 Perpetual Novice

Nov 17, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I agree, this appears to make only a very small difference to usability.

10. jtnyc

jtnyc Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Yes, after several back and forths Toontrack made this recommendation as well. I will try it out, but then those tweaks in the property pane don't get saved with a map preset, so I will just have to save the whole thing as a kit preset. This will work I think, but it was so much easier in SD2.

Thanks Evil -)

11. Soundhound

Soundhound Senior Member

Feb 13, 2011
    thanks ED.

12. Goldie Zwecker

Goldie Zwecker Senior Member

Feb 1, 2017
    I imagine SD3, being the most new, largest and advanced - is better than what i have now, but i wonder to what extent and if it'll be worth investing in.
    Right now i have everything included in Komplete Ultimate 11 (50's drummer, 60's drummer, 70's drummer, 80's drummer, abbey road, studio drummer, session drummer, drumlab etc etc), and the acoustic kits in Maschine, battery etc. How do these stack up?

13. kavinsky

kavinsky Senior Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Any info on Hit Variation settings?
    Is it the same concept with the new engine/library as with SD2? (e.g 10 round robins on velocity 120-127, 10rr on 100-120 and so on).
    It just never worked for my needs personally and I'd like to know if it has been updated or not.

14. reutunes

reutunes Senior Member

May 1, 2012
    I've been experimenting with SD3 for a couple of months now as I had the beta version. So I might be able to help with any questions, although @EvilDragon is doing a great job in this thread. Well done mate.

Also, my general review of SD3 is in this week's Samplecast show:

Fab likes this.
  15. mc_deli

mc_deli Senior Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Downloading now... just the @90 gigs to get started;)

16. madfloyd

madfloyd Senior Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Speaking of gigs... so how much ram does a typical drum set take up? That's probably my biggest concern with SD3... if it's over 200GB you gotta wonder whether it's overkill for a drum set... from loading times to RAM usage etc.

Goldie Zwecker likes this.
  17. jtnyc

jtnyc Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013
    The NI AR, Session Drummer stuff sounds quite good. Superior is better IMO, but I suppose it depends on your taste. To me ears, Superior is more deeply sampled and the sound is full and natural. The rooms are killer. It also has way more mic, stacking, routing options. The tracker function doesn't exist in the NI offerings either. As far as load times and cpu efficiency, Superior is clearly the winner.

18. Goldie Zwecker

Feb 1, 2017
    Co
    Concerning load times and cpu - that's a question that's been raised here. How much ram does it take when you load a kit out of the 230GB? How long does it take to load?

19. jtnyc

jtnyc Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013
    The default kits vary from 900mb to 2gb. Those kits usually only use 1 ambience mic. There are 4 ambience mics with the standard install so the footprints can get bigger. Even bigger if you start adding mics from the surround pack. I set up a mixer with all 4 amb mics plus 2 from the surround mics. Depending on the kit they load up around 3.5 - 5 gb. They load in about 20 seconds. Superior load times are superb. An NI Abbey Road kit that is 500mb easily takes 5 times longer. Superiors cpu efficiency is also superb.

20. Goldie Zwecker

Feb 1, 2017
    From an ssd or an HD 7200 rpm?