What's new

TOMORROW 18th July - Tune in for a special announcement!

I don't think NKS will be doable going down the road with their own player (could be wrong on that)...

To my ears, the sounds are wonderfully crafted.

But I have an ethical question: Are Spitfire being sensitive in their use of the source recordings? Were any of the original performers documented by Fanshawe and are they credited?

I know many composers have used folk sources in their works (e.g. Stravinsky, Bartok, Chopin, Ravel, Vaughan Williams, etc.) but I think it's easy to be unintentionally arrogant with sources like this. An example of this would be Deep Forest's "Sweet Lullaby": https://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/2004/11/23/turmeric-pygmies-and-piracy/

Ethnomusicology is one thing. Exploitation is another . . .
They knew Fanshawe for many years and many of the proceeds of the original library went to his family and legacy. CH and PT’s relationship was more than just a vendor/contributor. They have done the same by paying royalties to all musicians they have used. I would expect nothing less here than what they’ve done in the past.

They knew Fanshawe for many years and many of the proceeds of the original library went to his family and legacy. CH and PT’s relationship was more than just a vendor/contributor. They have done the same by paying royalties to all musicians they have used. I would expect nothing less here than what they’ve done in the past.
Most of his recordings were done in-situ in the field, in some fairly remote locations. Making a clean attribution to the performers will be pretty near impossible. I’ve recorded some Dhungjen and drums in Tibet and Nepal myself and know I’d never be able to know who played them even if I’ve been able to extract a few notes here and there to turn them into my own custom instruments.

Most of his recordings were done in-situ in the field, in some fairly remote locations. Making a clean attribution to the performers will be pretty near impossible. I’ve recorded some Dhungjen and drums in Tibet and Nepal myself and know I’d never be able to know who played them even if I’ve been able to extract a few notes here and there to turn them into my own custom instruments.
Oh, I understand completely. Provenance and attribution can be almost impossible with some field recordings, especially when documentation is the last thing on your mind. I also think Christian and Paul at Spitfire are epitomes of the Nice Intelligent Guy and have probably worked closely with the Fanshawe family.

I just don't want to fall into the trap of considering indigenous music performances as "found sounds" (a sort of musical equivalent of terra nullius).

I didn't want to like this. But dahyum, it sounds good, and more importantly, immediately useful. This is going to be all over TV land by the end of the year. I need me some antelope horn.

I think I was right some time ago when I said that Spitfire is running out of ideas. And what the hell was with the live demo? Two patches played, a lot of waffle, and that's it?

I think I was right some time ago when I said that Spitfire is running out of ideas. And what the hell was with the live demo? Two patches played, a lot of waffle, and that's it?

The live thing wasn't a demo, it was an announcement of the product. The demos went up on the web site at the same time.

I don't think SFA is running out of hideas, the Hauschka library for intance looks like it would be a godsend to anyone who's working on current Scandinavian TV stuff as noted previously on this forum. More like when the company has decided to churn out new libraries on a monthly basis, they're necessarily going to have to throw some filler libraries in the mix.

A lot of people probably aren't going to buy this library and SFA knows this very well. On the plus side, anybody who does buy it will serve as a beta tester for their new engine. I for one think/hope they're not going to discontinue the Kontakt versions of SSO/SCS/etc before the new engine is *thoroughly* tested

Top Bottom