What's new

Tom here to talk about JXL Brass

Thank you for answering my question!
I'm very hands-on with my orchestrating, especially because often a mockup will not sound exactly like I intend the musicians to sound. (this is especially true for things like choir, where samples just aren't able to reproduce authentic sound very well) So whenever a library does let me make mock-ups that sound exactly right I'm very happy. Saves me a lot of time in orchestration.
(It's also why I stay on the lookout for a baritone, because when writing mock-ups for brass band, using a euphonium instead just won't sound right)
I'm very excited about what I've heard so far with how aggressive your brass is sounding! It seems to me like you've really found some holes in what is available for brass libraries by competitors and are able to provide what has been missing.

Thank you! For me funny enough, what I was missing besides being super loud is a library that is also super quite and warm.... The Cimbasso’s and Trombones on ppp sounds so silky warm and smooth

Thank you! For me funny enough, what I was missing besides being super loud is a library that is also super quite and warm.... The Cimbasso’s and Trombones on ppp sounds so silky warm and smooth

I'm so excited to hear the demos of it! Can't wait!

This is definitely re-assuring to hear :D

Post the demos :P

It's an extraordinary sounding library alright. It's definitely gotten it's own feel to it.
Did anybody else feel that the staccato and marcato on close mics only sounded more dry than the close mic sustains did? Or was that just my imagination?

I have another question:
With the sound you achieved on Fury Road being a major part of what people were expecting from this library, was the option ever on the table to record this library at Trackdown to stay as close to that sound as possible? If that was ever a consideration, how did the choice end up on recording at Teldex?

I have another question:
With the sound you achieved on Fury Road being a major part of what people were expecting from this library, was the option ever on the table to record this library at Trackdown to stay as close to that sound as possible? If that was ever a consideration, how did the choice end up on recording at Teldex?
CSB exists for trackdown if mocking up 1 movie is your goal

I wouldnt fall into the trap of thinking they spent all this time and money to make the "next generation fury road toolkit" any more than HZ strings was going to be "Jack sparrow toolkit".

luckily instead of being niche and artsy, Tom decided to make a general brass toolkit. As far as his choice for teldex, likely his choice to work with OT would be fueled by his experience with their libraries. In his template videos he has CSS but prefers berlin strings- so certainly sonic flavor is a big pull, but likely how in depth and prestine the raw sampling is.

Except for bass bones and cimbasso all instruments are also available as solo instruments with proper true legato...

Tom, a few of us are wondering if you could clarify legato within this library? Are the large sections also available with legato?

Tom, a few of us are wondering if you could clarify legato within this library? Are the large sections also available with legato?
I think I saw Legato for all instruments and sections. But I'm not sure 100% sure.
Aside from the playable runs, I think other articulations were consistent across everything.

After their webpage gets fixed, trying going to this page. Currently, the list is gone. It was working yesterday, so probably a temporary glitch.

Go to the "Instruments" tab. It should display a list of available instruments/sections and you'll be able to display a drop down menu when you click them with a list of available articulations.

I think I saw Legato for all instruments and sections. But I'm not sure 100% sure.
Aside from the playable runs, I think other articulations were consistent across everything.

After their webpage gets fixed, trying going to this page. Currently, the list is gone. It was working yesterday, so probably a temporary glitch.

Go to the "Instruments" tab. It should display a list of available instruments/sections and you'll be able to display a drop down menu when you click them with a list of available articulations.

Yeah, I've been looking at that recently, but like yourself can't remember seeing legato, and therefore not sure 100%. Others have said there doesn't seem to be, as it wasn't shown in the walkthrough, but it's only part 1. It may also be polyphonic, therefore is shown in the demo, just not focused on.

Yeah, I've been looking at that recently, but like yourself can't remember seeing legato, and therefore not sure 100%. Others have said there doesn't seem to be, as it wasn't shown in the walkthrough, but it's only part 1. It may also be polyphonic, therefore is shown in the demo, just not focused on.

I cant see the instrument page anymore either, but from memory, there is legato for everything, with trumpets and horns getting legato runs.

I don't think it has polyphonic legato.

I cant see the instrument page anymore either, but from memory, there is legato for everything, with trumpets and horns getting legato runs.

I don't think it has polyphonic legato.

That's good if you remember it. As soon as a few people said it..I had that niggle in my mind, doubting that it was mentioned.

"extremely consistent set of articulations except legato"

oddly I'd rather glissando patches than trombone legato XD

a certain high budget library forgot trombone legato ;) doubt OT would ever make such a mistake

"extremely consistent set of articulations except legato"

oddly I'd rather glissando patches than trombone legato XD

a certain high budget library forgot trombone legato ;) doubt OT would ever make such a mistake

Yeah, especially since it's so prominent in the entire metro ark collection.

Sorry, I should make myself clearer. I meant that Metro Ark focused on some awesome Legato patches, it would be a little strange not to have it in a dedicated Brass lib like JXL. :)
I think the horns are the only brass with legato in ark 1.

I was referencing a top dollar brass library that shipped without legato on trombones - was a bit tongue in cheek, although I suppose people who dont get the reference might be outright confused at what I was trying to say lol

I think the horns are the only brass with legato in ark 1.

I was referencing a top dollar brass library that shipped without legato on trombones - was a bit tongue in cheek, although I suppose people who dont get the reference might be outright confused at what I was trying to say lol

Haha,I get you. ;)

Yeah,
MA1 only had horns.
MA2 had Tuba, Fluegelhorns, Bass Trumpets, Euphoniums, Ring Tubas.
MA3 had none,
MA4 has Horn Wagner Tube & Trombone, Trumpet & Muted Trumpet, Flute English Horn & Muted Trumpet, Bassoon & Horn, Bass Clarinet & Muted Bass Trombone, Bass Clarinet Bass Saxophone & Cimbasso, Contrabassoon Euphonium & Tuba.

Hmm...looking at that OT lineup makes me side even further to JXL. XD

Top Bottom