Tom here to talk about JXL Brass

2chris

Hi Tom,

I'm a big fan of your work and youtube series.

How do you plan to use the library as a working composer?
  • Will it alleviate the need for real players on some projects all together?
  • Will you layer this with real players to cut down on section size (save on the film budget - the dutch way haha)?
  • Or is this a mock up tool for you to get a cue approved to get recorded?
  • All of the above, or something else?

You should definitely consider a "solo" library with legatos once this takes off like I expect it will.

OP
R

Real JXL

Hi Tom,

I'm a big fan of your work and youtube series.

How do you plan to use the library as a working composer?
  • Will it alleviate the need for real players on some projects all together?
  • Will you layer this with real players to cut down on section size (save on the film budget - the dutch way haha)?
  • Or is this a mock up tool for you to get a cue approved to get recorded?
  • All of the above, or something else?

You should definitely consider a "solo" library with legatos once this takes off like I expect it will.
Except for bass bones and cimbasso all instruments are also available as solo instruments with proper true legato...

LowweeK

Monkeying with libraries
Hi Tom, glad to see you joining our avid community.

One (simple) question : can we achieve multi tonguing "à la John Williams" ?

OP
R

Real JXL

Hi Tom, glad to see you joining our avid community.

One (simple) question : can we achieve multi tonguing "à la John Williams" ?
Yes very easy with the staccatissimo's and their round robins.... It's more effective that actual recorded double or triple tonguing because of timing issues... You could time stretch these in the sampler but you loose all sound quality because of this...

Until samplers can actually deliver true high quality time stretching compression ( and we are a long way off for that because of computing power needed to do that right ), this is the most effective because you also can impact the dynamic of each tonguing... I hope that makes sense...

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Curious to know when we are going to see a walkthrough and hear demos? Sorry if this being impatient. Are they going to arrive before the Preorder is over?

EricWBarndollar

Until samplers can actually deliver true high quality time stretching compression ( and we are a long way off for that because of computing power needed to do that right ), this is the most effective because you also can impact the dynamic of each tonguing... I hope that makes sense...
Future feature suggestion for the SINE player then :)

I realize that high quality realtime stretching is hard, but how about allowing a fixed time stretch to an input tempo, running a great time stretching algorithm offline, and then having those recomputed samples ready to play back in realtime? Wouldn't work for accelerandos, etc., in the middle of a passage, but it would probably cover the majority of use cases.

Tice

How well suited is the way you operate the library for turning your DAW project into sheet music? When making it sound as good as possible in your DAW will you still have to sacrifice readability as sheet music?

First of all, so stoked to have you here with us mere mortals <3 Huge fan of your work!

My main question would be resources - what are sort of realistic templates if one has just 32 gigs of ram or 64 or 128 and how well the library allows one to sort of tweak the fingerprint in this accord

OP
R

Real JXL

Future feature suggestion for the SINE player then :)

I realize that high quality realtime stretching is hard, but how about allowing a fixed time stretch to an input tempo, running a great time stretching algorithm offline, and then having those recomputed samples ready to play back in realtime? Wouldn't work for accelerandos, etc., in the middle of a passage, but it would probably cover the majority of use cases.
This is an interesting approach but since we all deal with picture changes and tempo changes after you wrote a piece this is not speeding up the workflow I feel...

OP
R

Real JXL

First of all, so stoked to have you here with us mere mortals <3 Huge fan of your work!

My main question would be resources - what are sort of realistic templates if one has just 32 gigs of ram or 64 or 128 and how well the library allows one to sort of tweak the fingerprint in this accord
The way the library is build is that you can downmix in Sine your favorite microphones setting to just one single stream of audio. That way even the oldest computers with slower cpu or disk speed can run the JXL Brass Library in a template setting... Currently a downmix of all microphones to one stream takes about 10 minutes on my system... This depends from system to system in regards of CPU and disk speed. After the down mix ALL articulations are now using the new stream... You can create many if you want depending on your project.

OP
R

Real JXL

How well suited is the way you operate the library for turning your DAW project into sheet music? When making it sound as good as possible in your DAW will you still have to sacrifice readability as sheet music?

You should watch some of my video's to see how I work... I would use the brass library to write proper so orchestration is one on one.

I do have additional tracks that I use for production purposes only and they will be deleted when a cubase session is send to orchestration OR it will be in a folder called "Do NOT Orchestrate"...

Does this makes sense?

The way the library is build is that you can downmix in Sine your favorite microphones setting to just one single stream of audio. That way even the oldest computers with slower cpu or disk speed can run the JXL Brass Library in a template setting... Currently a downmix of all microphones to one stream takes about 10 minutes on my system... This depends from system to system in regards of CPU and disk speed. After the down mix ALL articulations are now using the new stream... You can create many if you want depending on your project.
Thank you for the clarification and I have to say that sounds like a detail that can be extremely useful in many situations! I would love to see this kind of modularity and efficency "boosting" become an industry standard if it works as well as I imagine! <3

OP
R

Real JXL

Thank you for the clarification and I have to say that sounds like a detail that can be extremely useful in many situations! I would love to see this kind of modularity and efficency "boosting" become an industry standard if it works as well as I imagine! <3

You could for instance also create 2 stereo stems... one merge goes to the front speakers and one merge goes to the surround speakers...

or 3 if you want to include the centre speaker...

You could for instance also create 2 stereo stems... one merge goes to the front speakers and one merge goes to the surround speakers...

or 3 if you want to include the centre speaker...
That's a good example! And in general I really like the idea where you take the concept of "just mics" further and approach it from more like this concept where the wav files / mic folders are more like a resource instead of "the beef" and the actual beef is defined dynamically to whatever spec one needs and then you start working with the customised set up you built from the resources that were just the starting point. Anything that allows the sound library to become even more customisable tool for the project in question is always a welcome step.

meradium

Kind of reminds me of all the other "next Gen" announcements... Does that really still work to promote sampling products?...

Tice

Thank you for answering my question!
I'm very hands-on with my orchestrating, especially because often a mockup will not sound exactly like I intend the musicians to sound. (this is especially true for things like choir, where samples just aren't able to reproduce authentic sound very well) So whenever a library does let me make mock-ups that sound exactly right I'm very happy. Saves me a lot of time in orchestration.
(It's also why I stay on the lookout for a baritone, because when writing mock-ups for brass band, using a euphonium instead just won't sound right)
I'm very excited about what I've heard so far with how aggressive your brass is sounding! It seems to me like you've really found some holes in what is available for brass libraries by competitors and are able to provide what has been missing.