What's new

To those who read the "study of orchestration"

Joe_D

Sorry, I don’t. Believe it or not, I can’t remember ever using a teacher’s guide for any textbook I used with my classes.

I always felt that it was my responsibility to have a larger, over-arching picture of the subject than could be presented in a book. I organized my own thoughts and pedagogical approach, then used textbooks as a resource to reinforce and supplement that rather than “teaching from the book.”

jonathanparham

Hi,

I read that you have tought students orchestration with Samuel Adler's book and even took lessons with him:) . I am going through his book and workbook as a self learner (fourth edition). However, I would like to check the answers, but Norton won't give me access to the teachers guide.

Do you by any chance as a teacher have access to that and would you be willing to share? That would be extremely helpful to me
yup. Same issue. I cannot get the answer key from the publisher. Makes sense as I could sale the answers BUT frustrating to say the least lol

douggibson

I always felt that it was my responsibility to have a larger, over-arching picture of the subject than could be presented in a book. I organized my own thoughts and pedagogical approach, then used textbooks as a resource to reinforce and supplement that rather than “teaching from the book.”
:2thumbs:

That's a good teacher right there !!

It's likely for the best you can't access it.

1. The temptation to peak and not do the work would be too great.
and

2. At best you would only get half the answers anyway. The text book has some very clear - right/wrong questions: Why is this not playable, or what pitch would this become transposed.

However for the examples in which you are asked to orchestrate for, many solutions are possible.
Orchestration is as much an art as science.

Top Bottom