1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To the users of Century Strings, Insolidus...

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by fiestared, Feb 14, 2018 at 5:18 AM.

1. fiestared

fiestared Senior Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Hi
    Could you please share with us what you think about Century strings and/or Insolidus...
    Why ? 8days of love 10/40 % off from 8Dio...
    Thank you in advance
    :2thumbs:

2. WindcryMusic

WindcryMusic Senior Member

Oct 19, 2015
    I bought Insolidus on sale during the holidays, along with libraries from several other companies. Thus far, I'm sorry to say that Insolidus has been my sole disappointment from that shopping spree. It doesn't sound as impressive as the demos (which were slathered in reverb) did ... everything has sort of an unpleasant warble. It also doesn't seem to sync properly with tempo. Generally I'd have to characterize it as a one-trick pony that fails to do even that one trick as well as I had hoped. I haven't found it useful thus far, although I plan to keep looking for opportunities to do so in case I am missing something.

Don't know anything about Century Strings, sorry ...

fiestared likes this.
  3. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    And oddly, still no independent reviews of 8dio Century Strings on Youtube yet. :whistling:

I wonder why ?

Casiquire and fiestared like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    fiestared

fiestared Senior Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Me too, strange... :sad:

Casiquire likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    fiestared

fiestared Senior Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Thanks, "unpleasant warble" do you mean, like a "too much hacked" sample ?

6. WindcryMusic

WindcryMusic Senior Member

Oct 19, 2015
    I'm not sure. The samples sound "tremulous", like they've been bounced a few too many times on a tape deck ... I'm sure that's not actually the case, but that's the closest description I can come up with.

fiestared likes this.
  7. kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    It depends what you expect of Insolidus I guess and what you compare it with. Is it the best sounding sampled chamber choir today? Probably, but I haven't tried Dominus by Fluffy. And Spitfire might come with a choir library soon, so if you have time you could wait for that one.

fiestared likes this.
  8. Colin O'Malley

Colin O'Malley Senior Member

Aug 23, 2004
  9. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Casiquire likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    fiestared

fiestared Senior Member

Aug 18, 2013
  11. DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow Senior Member

Why do you need and independend review? As long as we dont want to presume that they faked the sound in the videos you hear... going from those it seems to sound pretty cool IMO.

12. DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow Senior Member

But I think in the video there is some mono-reverby bleed from some microphone. I don't think the strings actually sound the way... All the demos by 8dio unaffiliated composers didn't have that sound.

13. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Independent Video Reviews of Sample Libraries is pretty standard these days. Nothing to do with the integrity of the developer's demos, just a different style, or method of showing the library, maybe in more detail, and show the library used in various scenarios.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 8:16 PM
  14. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    @DarkestShadow ,

Thanks for posting the review video. I see it was just released today. Hope to see more reviews as well on Youtube.

Cheers,
    Muziksculp

15. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    Please don't imply that reviews and demos directly from the developer should be considered a fair representation of their own work. Their personal bias exists whether intended or not. Plus they know the inner workings of their library better than anyone else, and know the strengths and weaknesses. The features they spend the most time on and feel most proud of will be more front and center and the ones they had less interest in will be tucked back just by nature. I agree that independent reviews are the best, particularly when there are many.

Having said that, WOW I'm curious about Century Strings. Much of what I've seen and heard makes it look like a truly impressive library.

muziksculp likes this.
  16. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    I've watched this a few times now. It's so great

17. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yes, it sounds very good. I wish the reviewer showed more of the various mic options for comparison. I think this library can be very diverse in terms of it's sonic character, also the option of mixing in the sordino strings, adds another interesting sonic dimension to the library. I also feel there was a bit too much hall reflections, or reverb in the video review for my taste.

Casiquire likes this.
  18. fish_hoof

fish_hoof Senior Member

Posted on the other Century String thread too, but here is a song i did with century strings. No other strings used... there are other music elements of course but just Century Strings. I do love this library.

storyteller and muziksculp like this.